• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I got a new computer at work this week. My old computer had dual hard drives that needed to be "wiped" and disposed of properly. I also had a drive from an older computer that also needed a proper data dump. Somehow, suppressed 300BLK rounds just seemed like the appropriate IT solution. :D I don't think that anyone will be getting anything off of these hard drives. :cool:

Attachments

• Hard drive wipe out.jpg
      Hard drive wipe out.jpg
      100.3 KB · Views: 1,209

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Get the drill press out. Each drive should have 5 holes in it.

I think there's a WAY more entertaining way to put four more holes in each of those.

I've got almost 200 drives that need the same treatment, just haven't found the right place/time!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I think there's a WAY more entertaining way to put four more holes in each of those.

I've got almost 200 drives that need the same treatment, just haven't found the right place/time!

Modern drives are bullet resistant.

Try smashing one with a sledge hammer. The platter is pretty thick.

Where you see projectiles passing through is where the circuit card is, leaving the data to be extracted from the platter by a nefarious actor. Which is why 5 holes is recommended, at least 2 will hit the platter.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Modern drives are bullet resistant.

Try smashing one with a sledge hammer. The platter is pretty thick.

Where you see projectiles passing through is where the circuit card is, leaving the data to be extracted from the platter by a nefarious actor. Which is why 5 holes is recommended, at least 2 will hit the platter.

At 2,000 FPS, these rounds went through pretty clean with a big exit wounds. I'm good at this point sending these off to the landfill. I'll take my chances with the bad guys (who years from now might be digging in a landfill) being able to get any of my info off these bullet mangled drives.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Looks like your jerking the trigger, from the point of impact on two of the three of them. Squeeze the trigger.

BRAS

:)

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Actually, 2 of the 3 are showing the exit holes. So if you flip them around, he is consistently a little low and left if he is aiming at the "big circle" on the front. ;)

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Believe it or not, data can still be recovered from those drives. It ain't easy or cheap and you would need a clean room environment with someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. But it is possible. Not probable, just saying its possible.
    Taking a big ass magnet, degaussing tool, rare-earth, etc to them with kill the data. Or burn them to a crisp.

I had a hole collection of drives I disabled that way that I gave to coworkers. I found it quite satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom