Best multi-caliber AR Red Dot recommendation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Folks-With the new CryHavoc QRB Takedown adapter allowing a user to place a .300BO and .223 SBR's into extremely small carry packages, I am curious if you have any insight into a unicorn red dot that allows (to the best ability):

-Account for .300BO Suppressed Supersonic 100 yds
    -Account for .223 Suppressed Supersonic

I have a great system for the iron sights. Also not interested in evolving into the merits of "take down barrel configuration" as that ship has sailed. They perform great with the two pin version and are working extremely well with iron sights. The configuration is being used for some wild hog hunting under NVG and then roll into some day time varmint hunting using the .223. Has made packing out that much easier. Separate illuminators are on each free floated barrel.

Thoughts on the red dot approach are extremely appreciated. I know we have some excellent .330BO users here.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The chances that each caliber would end up hitting right on a pre-set reticle, like the 300BO 2 dot EoTech is kinda slim. Best bet would be to sight in each with your optic of choice, and count clicks to swap between both, might even be close enough to use hold-over or something. I have a few Aero M4E1 rifles, swapped a scope from my 10.5" 5.56 SBR to my 9" 300BO, to do some accuracy testing, found the group about 6" off hitting around 5:00 low/right at 50 yards. If it happened to line up with say a 500yd mark on a BDC or something might work out, but unless you plan on keeping separate QD optics for both calibers, no other way to do it other than counting clicks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You'd probably be better served with LPVO with a BDC retical. I prefer red dots for inside 50 yards ideally.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Have you thought about using a handguard mount and two separate red dots? I ordinarily wouldn't recommend that option, but in this case, it might make sense.

Otherwise, you need something like the Mepro Foresight, which would let you configure your zero based on known configurations.

coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Thanks friends-I am glad you guys chimed in as I have mad respect of all of your other advice. And that Mepro sight is most def going to require a deep dive. I have been using clicks for my iron sights so moving that to a scope is fairly easy to do. Any further thoughts are appreciated.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The Mepro sight seems cool, but it’s just too busy for my taste. In my opinion it’s a solution marketed to a problem that mostly only inexperienced shooters have.

Personally I’d stick with a simple red dot. If this is a compact “go bag” style set up, my thoughts are you want this thing working when you need it, even if it’s been stowed a good while. So battery life and durability may be paramount.

Inside of bad breath range you might find a single aiming point suitable for both calibers, but accurate shots at 50+ yards is going to be tough, although torso sized shots are likely still doable.

If $ is no object I’d check out an Aimpoint t2, although the newer Holosun 515 series of red dots looks pretty legit for around $350.

And regarding BDC red dot reticles...I’ve never found them to be very useful. BDC reticles on an LPVO is a different story.

coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Ok Friends-Thanks for the insight. Any interest in the below before I karma it out to the masses? I live in Herndon, work in Rockville so that avenue is a great drop off. I will ship if you cover shipping. Found these squirrled away in one of my old sea bags. 12 gauges is 75% full, 28 gauge are full, 16 gauge in plastic containers are 1.5 full and the other is empty hulls...

Thanks for your insight..the old boxes are cool in their own right.

Attachments

• Karma 12 28 gauge.jpg
      Karma 12 28 gauge.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 222
    • IMG_8340.jpg
      IMG_8340.jpg
      100.1 KB · Views: 225

coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Yeppers I shall soon. Just wanted to give the folks who gave up the well thought out advice on this thread a shot. I will give it a day then push it over. Thanks Boss..

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    They make scopes with two separate adjustable sets of crosshairs; the intent is so you can do a one-shot zero, but you could use it instead to keep two separate zeros
    https://shepherdscopes.com/shepherd-one-shot-zero/

I have no experience with the above, my impression was that it was something of a gimmick. But it seems like you could do something similar with a red dot.

Another thought is to add a flip-up prism to give you a second zero:
    https://www.amazon.com/AXEON-Optics-Precision-Optical-Hunting/dp/B07Y2PSGFK
    Issue there is it seems to only be available in 4.3 and 11.5 MOA image shift versions; don't know if either of those would work for your preferred zero ranges.

It's an interesting challenge; but all this having been said I think counting clicks on a single red dot scope as mentioned above is the best option.

-Stephen M

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Folks-With the new CryHavoc QRB Takedown adapter allowing a user to place a .300BO and .223 SBR's into extremely small carry packages, I am curious if you have any insight into a unicorn red dot that allows (to the best ability):

-Account for .300BO Suppressed Supersonic 100 yds
    -Account for .223 Suppressed Supersonic

I have a great system for the iron sights. Also not interested in evolving into the merits of "take down barrel configuration" as that ship has sailed. They perform great with the two pin version and are working extremely well with iron sights. The configuration is being used for some wild hog hunting under NVG and then roll into some day time varmint hunting using the .223. Has made packing out that much easier. Separate illuminators are on each free floated barrel.

Thoughts on the red dot approach are extremely appreciated. I know we have some excellent .330BO users here.

Meprolight Foresight will do exactly what you want and allow change through a click on an app. Battery life is about 50 hours, but can be charged with a portable power pack.

I picked one up for giggles and have found I really like it after years of using EOTech’s...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gear-review-meprolight-foresight-augmented-red-dot-sight/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom