Double duty electronic ear plug recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I'm starting to seriously consider a set of noise canceling/suppressing ear plugs, but both for shooting and playing music.

I've never liked ear muffs, as I always wear glasses of some kind which rarely feel comfortable with muffs. Also, I do some cowboy action shooting and otherwise just enjoy brimmed hats, which again, don't work with muffs.

I also play guitar in a 7-piece band. Foamies and even re-usable plugs supposedly designed for music are either uncomfortable or cut out too many of the high frequencies I need to hear a balanced sound. I know I could get in-ear monitors, and I might.

But is there a set of electronic plugs that could do double duty? Some that would effectively suppress gunshots at the range and keep a balanced sound spectrum at rehearsal and gigs?

The Peltor TEP200 get lots of good reviews, but I don't need comms connections and some of the other stuff. And $375 is a lot of money for an experiment; not too much to preserve my hearing, but more than I want to spend unless it's a sure thing. Open to suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Peltor EEP are almost the same unit.

The EEP is green instead of tan. The case does not have built in battery holder for charging, you need to plug into a standard USB charger, either wall or battery. And the EEP is not quite as well sealed against dust and water.

For a more balanced hearing range, you would go with a lesser ear tip. The top rated Skull Screws have an 11 dB difference in attenuation from 250 - 8000 Hz. The UltraFit tips are less than 4 dB difference.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...ical-datasheet-electronic-earplug-eep-100.pdf

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    The Peltor EEP are almost the same unit.

The EEP is green instead of tan. The case does not have built in battery holder for charging, you need to plug into a standard USB charger, either wall or battery. And the EEP is not quite as well sealed against dust and water.

For a more balanced hearing range, you would go with a lesser ear tip. The top rated Skull Screws have an 11 dB difference in attenuation from 250 - 8000 Hz. The UltraFit tips are less than 4 dB difference.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...ical-datasheet-electronic-earplug-eep-100.pdf

Thanks! I doubt I need the extra water and dust protection, so that's not much of a concern. Are the Skull Screws "better" just because they have a better NRR rating? More to the point, could they be swapped out with the Ultra Fit tips depending on situation?

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I have the 3M peltor EEP. I like them so far but need to pick up a set of skull screws as the tips they came with only one set was big enough and I'm not sure I love them.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I have the 3M peltor EEP. I like them so far but need to pick up a set of skull screws as the tips they came with only one set was big enough and I'm not sure I love them.

I've got a whole bag of the skull screws you can have. They don't fit my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom