How long is the wait to get the C&R license now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Sent my renewal soon after it came in. They cashed my check on 19 March but I still do not have a new license. Just emailed them for an update. Old one expired 1 June.

Bit annoyed.......

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You do realize that ATF monitors this forum, and when you ask about why it's taking so long they send it the next day...

:lol:

If they are monitoring...I sent a change of address in 5 weeks ago and haven’t heard a peep yet...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sent my renewal soon after it came in. They cashed my check on 19 March but I still do not have a new license. Just emailed them for an update. Old one expired 1 June.

Bit annoyed.......

When my renewal was delayed, a couple years ago, I called and they sent me a letter of authorisation (LOA) stating the timely receipt of my renewal application, and that the letter would serve in lieu of the renewed license until they could finish processing the renewal. Letter was good for 6 months, and if they hadn't finished the renewal process by that time, they'd issue another.

There were no problems using the letter, and they eventually got around to sending the renewed license.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    When my renewal was delayed, a couple years ago, I called and they sent me a letter of authorisation (LOA) stating the timely receipt of my renewal application, and that the letter would serve in lieu of the renewed license until they could finish processing the renewal. Letter was good for 6 months, and if they hadn't finished the renewal process by that time, they'd issue another.

There were no problems using the letter, and they eventually got around to sending the renewed license.

There's a check box on the renewal form to send an LOA if the renewal is delayed. I checked it but got the renewal in time, so no LOA was sent. So there is a sentient life form reviewing renewals.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Sent in renewal 56 days ago and haven’t received the paperwork yet. I even checked the Letter of Authorization box to receive a LOA but nothing so far. Anyone else have to wait this long for a renewal?

Finally received my renewal. ATF called me a few days before it expired and told me I needed to fill in section 7a and 7b that requests the number of firearms I had acquired and sold over the past 3 years. I didn’t originally fill that out as at the top of the form it states to Fill out sections 1-6 and 8. Go figure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Finally received my renewal. ATF called me a few days before it expired and told me I needed to fill in section 7a and 7b that requests the number of firearms I had acquired and sold over the past 3 years. I didn’t originally fill that out as at the top of the form it states to Fill out sections 1-6 and 8. Go figure.

Huh. I haven’t filled one out yet, but I hadn’t thought that section was done by FFL-03s.

I got my COA after about 40 days. And then a week later got the ATF C&R “welcome packet”. Which freaked me out at first that it was some kind of mailed audit or something.

“Wait, ya’ll sent me this stuff last year when I got my FFL-03...”

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I forget exactly when I mailed my application for a new C&R FFL; however, BATFE charged my card on 7/1, envelope with new license postmarked 7/19, rec'd in today's (7/25) mail.

Bank account cringes.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If you wait for the forms, it guarantees that you don't lapse in coverage. If there is a delay in processing or printing your renewal license, they give you a provisional one to cover you.

Do you just call them to get a provisional? I sent mine in 9/17 and check cleared soon after. I have every hope that my renewal will be here soon, but I am watching something in an auction than ends the end of Nov, and my license expires Dec 1st. Theoretically, if the purchase is complete before December 1st it should be good, but the seller may have cold feet about shipping it after that date. Would like to have a plan B in place in the event that the renewal doesn't show up sometime in the next few weeks.

Thanks.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    License re application (My FFL03 expired last march)
    Sent Nov 4th
    CC charged Nov 7th

Nothing yet.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    My card got charged on 12/02/2019 and I received the C&R on 12/12/2019. I'm not sure if that's typical, but that came much faster than I expected!

Last edited:
    For anyone reading this thread wondering the most current wait-time, I mailed my forms out Jan 3rd and received my license in the mail today, Jan 23rd.
    My CC was charged Jan 7th.

So that is a day under 3 weeks from the day I mailed out to the day I received it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, I mailed mine in Nov 4th. It was approved and issued Nov 22nd but never arrived. I had contacted them at the end of December and was told it was to be reprinted and sent. Well, still have not arrived. I contacted them again and was told my address is correct and the reprint was being checked into. 2 days ago, I recieved a check that was due to me in December but later when it did not arrive, had them cancel it and send another (which arrived). I also received a Christmas card this week dated 12/20. My mail comes from rural contractor and I"m planning to go to the Post Office to complain. If my FFL does not get to me by the time I travel to the Oaks show in March, I"m going to flip out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Still waiting on mine. Sent it in right after Christmas, they cashed the check on 01/02 but still nothing.

11/4 to 11/22 would have been super fast. They usually seem to be more like 5 weeks in most cases. So you’ve probably got 1-2 more weeks.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, I mailed mine in Nov 4th. It was approved and issued Nov 22nd but never arrived. I had contacted them at the end of December and was told it was to be reprinted and sent. Well, still have not arrived. I contacted them again and was told my address is correct and the reprint was being checked into. 2 days ago, I recieved a check that was due to me in December but later when it did not arrive, had them cancel it and send another (which arrived). I also received a Christmas card this week dated 12/20. My mail comes from rural contractor and I"m planning to go to the Post Office to complain. If my FFL does not get to me by the time I travel to the Oaks show in March, I"m going to flip out.

So, it finally came in today. USPS probably saved me hundreds by delaying it almost 2 months.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    There was an issue in Highland where the carrier was not delivering all the mail. I got a paper in the mailbox that said the post office is investigating the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom