• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I have an AK-74 that was built for me from a Bulgarian parts kit. Long story short, the gunsmith did a terrible job and it won't seat ANY magazines (except the magazine he modified for the rifle) and it looks like the barrel is crooked coming out of the front trunion so it is a mess, I've never shot it. I was going to send it out to another gunsmith (that is known for AKs) but my concern is if he screwed up putting the trunions and barrel in, I'll need a new receiver.

I am under the assumption that if I need a new receiver that It'll be a 'new' gun at that point and I wouldn't be able to transfer it back because of SB281. Am I right in that assumption?

Thanks!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    It depends it theres something wrong with the receiver. A qualified gunsmith should be able to determine this. Don't forget to call some of our local industry partners.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Was the trunnion riveted too far back? It might have to be removed, holes rewelded, and the whole thing reassembled.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    If you do some digging on here, I know there's a couple threads discussing a similar issue with AR type rifles that had damage or defects to the receiver. They were able to get their rifles fixed and had the new serial number added to the registration for that particular rifle with MSP. I don't remember too many details but it didn't seem to be too much hassle.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Could be wrong, but I think receiver replacement was discussed and is acceptable under the False Security Act of 2013.

It may not be. However, there is an amendment being debated this year that DOES allow replacement for theft/destructions./damage. I'd take a look and maybe a call to MSP to get clarity. For general repair it might be fine right now. I am pretty sure it will be under the new amendment if it isn't now.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    With the MSP OK'ing the Arsenal 104-31 (5.45), I'd imagine it shouldn't be an issue since they basically said 5.45 is cash/carry now.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    With the MSP OK'ing the Arsenal 104-31 (5.45), I'd imagine it shouldn't be an issue since they basically said 5.45 is cash/carry now.

Thats what brought my question up. I have been hesitating getting it fixed (been sitting in the safe for almost 3 years now) because of the law, but after I saw that rifle wasn't in the ban I started considering getting it fixed.

Thanks for all the info folks! I might need to make a call to MSP.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    As Brad mention and if I'm not mistaken, the MSP just approved the sale of the Arsenal 104 which is an AK-74 rifle as cash and carry, so a replacement receiver for this rifle should be good to go as long as it will work on your particular build.

I would talk to a shop like Engage and see if they are willing to transfer a new receiver from Nodak Spud for you.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    MSP approvals are model specific. if the receiver needs to be replaced, that is, with one with a new serial number, there may be an issue.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I just noticed that the S/N that is on the receiver is the same S/N that is on the front trunion. I'd assume that'd have to carry over on a new receiver, no?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I just noticed that the S/N that is on the receiver is the same S/N that is on the front trunion. I'd assume that'd have to carry over on a new receiver, no?

Easily. Odds are your 'smith engraved/stamped it into the receiver when it went in for building.

Front trunion numbers match the machine cover or bolt carrier numbers?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    the receiver with the serial number is the firearm. other serialized parts arent counted.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    the receiver with the serial number is the firearm. other serialized parts arent counted.

Considering it was built from a parts kit - if the builder used the front trunions numbers for the registration/serial number, I'd say no harm no foul.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Considering it was built from a parts kit - if the builder used the front trunions numbers for the registration/serial number, I'd say no harm no foul.

i would assume he used a manufactured receiver which requires a serial number.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Without knowing more about what's wrong:
    1) Mags not seating is usually due to a mag catch that needs filing or replacing, or the height of the selector stop itself. Either are fairly easily remediated.
    2) The front trunnion can be de-riveted and re-riveted without trashing the receiver. Worst-case, the holes need to be welded up.
    3) Can't say why your barrel looks crooked but you have to really screw up a build for that to happen. Canting of the front sight or sight block can happen but again it's usually pretty easy to fix with a few pins.

Either way, your receiver is still good unless someone really borked it up.

EDIT: as Lee has stated, the receiver carries the serial. In foreign countries it's the front trunnion on an AK that counts, but in the good ol USofA it's the receiver with only a few exceptions (like the SIG 556).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have an AK-74 that was built for me from a Bulgarian parts kit. Long story short, the gunsmith did a terrible job and it won't seat ANY magazines (except the magazine he modified for the rifle) and it looks like the barrel is crooked coming out of the front trunion so it is a mess, I've never shot it. I was going to send it out to another gunsmith (that is known for AKs) but my concern is if he screwed up putting the trunions and barrel in, I'll need a new receiver.

I am under the assumption that if I need a new receiver that It'll be a 'new' gun at that point and I wouldn't be able to transfer it back because of SB281. Am I right in that assumption?

Thanks!

Emphasis on bolded. :D

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD

He did, the S/N is hand engraved on the left side of the receiver. I figured if the receiver needed to match the reunion than just the same number on a NEW receiver wouldn't be a big deal... though now thinking about it I can see the legal ramifications of such a process.....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    i'm missing your point.

He did, the S/N is hand engraved on the left side of the receiver. I figured if the receiver needed to match the reunion than just the same number on a NEW receiver wouldn't be a big deal... though now thinking about it I can see the legal ramifications of such a process.....

That kind of illustrates my point, the 'smith used the numbers off the front trunnion AS the registered serial number when it was built. Hand engraved just kinda further shows it was likely a pre-bent blank that was used originally.

So, if the receiver is indeed toast, then a replacement receiver being stamped/engraved with the same numbers shouldn't be any issue - as it's a repair, but retaining all the registered info.

Although, this IS MD, so logic need not apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom