• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    So been down south here in Tennessee for the holidays visiting family and low and behold there was a local gun show about an hour from my families house. Decided to head over today with the family and check things out. It was nice to help my stepmom pick out her first handgun. Gotta love TN, she has her CCW permit and all it took was to fill out the 4473 and on her way with her new handgun!! God it's nice to be in a FREE state even if it's only temporarily!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I drove from Nashville to Knoxville and I think I saw bill boards for 3 or 4 gun shops/ranges. Next time I have to go, I'm going to reserve some extra "me" time in my schedule.
    I think there are a few things they take seriously down there: Guns, Fishing, Football and Country Music.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    Only the tourists support the industry known as 'country music'. It is a huge joke to the locals here.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Glad to hear Tennessee is so user friendly. I was in New Jersey in December and stopped by a local gun shop. I ask the price on a Krag and was told I couldn't even touch the rifle if I didn't have a New Jersey firearms license. The guy behind the counter was very apologetic. It wasn't the shop, it was the law. In Jersey you need a LTF (license to fondle). They would gladly ship it to a MD FFL if I bought it. I just couldn't legally touch it in the state.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I was born and (partly) raised in East Tennessee.

Dolly Parton is the laughing stock of that part of the state. (She was born/raised not too far from where I was born.)
    Yes, I know (and now, so does everyone else) that she's committed MILLIONS of $$$ to the ones affected by the ARSON.
    For that, I LOUDLY applaud her.

Don't get me wrong........ I DEARLY love that state.
    It has more freedoms than this craphole of a state will EVER hope to have.

There are just NO decent, good-paying jobs there.
    That's the ONLY reason I'm still here.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I was born and (partly) raised in East Tennessee.

Dolly Parton is the laughing stock of that part of the state. (She was born/raised not too far from where I was born.)
    Yes, I know (and now, so does everyone else) that she's committed MILLIONS of $$$ to the ones affected by the ARSON.
    For that, I LOUDLY applaud her.

Don't get me wrong........ I DEARLY love that state.
    It has more freedoms than this craphole of a state will EVER hope to have.

There are just NO decent, good-paying jobs there.
    That's the ONLY reason I'm still here.

Truth. I'd move to Tennessee this afternoon if I could make there what I make here.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Gotta love TN, she has her CCW permit and all it took was to fill out the 4473 and on her way with her new handgun!! God it's nice to be in a FREE state even if it's only temporarily!

Here's the irony. My father has his CT CCW permit. Same deal. Fill out 4473, hand over the money, and out the door you go with your new handgun. CT is far from a free state but much better than MD for getting a carry permit without any G&S nonsense.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Same deal here in TX. Bought my last handgun at a gunshow on NYE. Literally 3 minutes from "I'll take it" to walking away with my new pistol. :D

If I ever move back to MD I won't know what to do with myself...

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If I ever move back to MD I won't know what to do with myself...

Can't see you doing that for anything short of last-ditch desperation for a job. Guaranteed if I move from MD to TX, I will move heaven and earth to never ever move back.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Can't see you doing that for anything short of last-ditch desperation for a job. Guaranteed if I move from MD to TX, I will move heaven and earth to never ever move back.

I'm still homesick. TBH I'd probably move back if my wife wasn't in love with where we are now. :(

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm still homesick for Bama almost 20 years later. Would love to move back but not if it means my wife's career goes straight into the crapper, which it probably would.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm still homesick for Bama almost 20 years later. Would love to move back but not if it means my wife's career goes straight into the crapper, which it probably would.

My wife and I have VERY transportable jobs. We could move anywhere, anytime pretty much.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm still homesick. TBH I'd probably move back if my wife wasn't in love with where we are now. :(

You can always visit.

When I move out of MD, there will be things I miss. But I can come back a couple of times a year for a long weekend and be FINE. :)

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    From Kiplinger.....

Tennessee's tax rating for retirees: Tax Friendly

The Volunteer State is a good choice for budget-conscious retirees. Every major metro area offers below-average living costs in almost every category of expenses, including health care and taxes—among the biggest financial concerns for aging Americans. In fact, there's no state income tax at all. And being economically healthy, Tennessee should have no issues maintaining its tax-friendliness; it ranks eighth of all states for fiscal soundness, according to a recent report from the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    From Kiplinger.....

Tennessee's tax rating for retirees: Tax Friendly

The Volunteer State is a good choice for budget-conscious retirees. Every major metro area offers below-average living costs in almost every category of expenses, including health care and taxes—among the biggest financial concerns for aging Americans. In fact, there's no state income tax at all. And being economically healthy, Tennessee should have no issues maintaining its tax-friendliness; it ranks eighth of all states for fiscal soundness, according to a recent report from the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.

Good hospitals?

Radio_Flyer

Jun 18, 2015
    Wife and I are planning on moving to Tenn when I retire. Already looking at homes. We seem to always gravitate to Tenn on RV trips. Tax friendly, gun friendly, what more could you ask for.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    Good hospitals?

You can get quality care in Chattanooga. OK in Knoxville.
    Be prepared to deal with the village idiot's wife when navigating the front office/non medical personnel.
    Just make a plan to visit your regular dentist twice a year where you are. I wish I was joking. It seems to run between old timers hanging on, or new grads building a business. The challenge is the clientele they have to cater to. Most are coming in for tooth pulling, dentures, or minimal pain stoppage. The dentists are just not as well practiced as the competitive north east with restorative and cosmetic skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom