• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Silver Maple in the front yard has a large spar that didn't make it through the winter and needs to be taken down.

I wouldn't be as concerned, except that it's within range of the neighbor's driveway, and next to the line feeding the street light.

Experienced trimmers only, please.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    We have a large maple in our front yard. We got the limbs cabled so they counter balance one another. I feel tons better after we did that.

Just a suggestion.
    If your tree is close to a structure ask your ahborist about it.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    :omg:

Phew, for a minute there I thought we were going to have to nickname you 'Stumpy'.

I saw "Mr. H" and "Limb Removal Needed", then thought the worst.:innocent0

No, it was 'Tree Limb Removal Needed'. :o

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    :omg:

Phew, for a minute there I thought we were going to have to nickname you 'Stumpy'.

I saw "Mr. H" and "Limb Removal Needed", then thought the worst.:innocent0

No, it was 'Tree Limb Removal Needed'. :o

:ohnoes: I was thinking the same thing.
    MikeTF could help you out ;)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have a close friend that waits for the neighbors to go out for a few hours, and then uses a box of 12 gauge shells to prune his trees when needed. No joking. Just an idea! YMMV :rolleyes:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Can you give size estimates Mr. H? Length of the limb, diameter at the base, height of the tallest point?

Best I can give...

Length, apx 12ft, base about 12 up (so, at the angle it has, about 20' top height), 3 or 4" dia at the base

If it wasn't for the nearness to the light wires, and my lack of sure-footedness on ladders in recent years, I'd just grab the polesaw and have at it.

Would much rather have it done safely and help a member out.

(doh... adding a pic might be nice......)

Attachments

• WP_001017.jpg
      WP_001017.jpg
      201.4 KB · Views: 280

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    ​The Legend Of The Surgery With The 300% Mortality Rate

Robert Liston was a competent surgeon who contributed significantly to medicine as a science. Then he had the misfortune to have one seriously bad day, and became a legend in the medical community.

A Scottish surgeon who practiced all over Britain, he earned respect for his skill in amputations. Liston practiced in the early 1800s, before anesthesia was popular. Cutting and sawing on a conscious, shrieking patient took strong nerves and a strong stomach. The shorter the operation, the lesser the suffering of the patient and the greater the chance that the patient would survive. Liston could amputate a leg in two minutes. This was impressive, but it came with impressive drawbacks.

Keep in mind, the patient spent the entire procedure fighting as hard as they could, the multiple medical "assistants" whose job it was to hold the screaming patient down. In the confusion, doctors had been known to miss, amputating more than they needed to. As the legend goes, one day Liston amputated much more than he needed to. While amputating the patient's leg at the hip, Liston accidentally sliced through the fingers of one of his assistants. That would have been bad enough, but it proved disastrous when the patient's stump turned gangrenous. The saw must have been contaminated, because the assistant became ill and infected, too. Within a few days, both the patient and the assistant died.

However, this single surgery took a victim even earlier. The procedure was being observed by an elderly doctor in a dress coat with long tails. In the confusion, Liston cut through the man's coat. He wasn't cut, but because blood was spurting around, the old gentleman didn't know that. Feeling the tug, and seeing himself covered in blood, the man collapsed on the floor, had a heart attack, and died.

Liston, therefore, had performed a surgery with a 300% mortality rat
    e.:sad20:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Aside from the surgery with the 300% morality rate, Mr. Liston usually had a 10% mortality rate with amputations. His contemporaries had roughly a 25% mortality rate.

Well my go to guy lost his license,the next one in line never had one or insurance but has always done a good job (never destroyed any property :innocent0).For legitimate tree work I'll use either of these 2;Buzzy (CKA Tree service) 410-268-3844 or Dan (WD Olsen) 443-254-5609.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom