• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I sent 2 M1 Garand op rods to Columbus Machine Works, Inc. 3 weeks ago. If you go on their web site they specialize in bending op rods to original specs and rebuilding worn guide lugs. They should be getting back to me any day to let me know what they believe needs to be done to my 2 rods. The handle on one rod I sent them noticeably angles uphill when viewed from the back of the receiver.
    I've successfully performed a number of procedures outlined in Kuhnhausen's shop manual on the M1/M1a but adjusting an op rod arm seems like you ought to let someone that knows what they are doing perform that. I somehow think if you screw it up you probably don't get a lot of redos.
    I've read some good reviews of their work.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Theirs nearly twice the clearance in between the saddle and the barrel. I think would operate in a more repeatable manner if there was not as much clearance due to vibration alone, however there is no problem with function now. The inside of that arm has a radius milled into it that looks like a special fixture would have to be made (round on one side, milled flat on the other) to allow for a vertical bend to occur when its clamped in a vice that wouldn't allow the arm to become twisted or kinked because of the concave section. Seems like it would be easy to do the wrong thing without having a particular way of holding the rod correctly.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    This will probably give some of you a heart attack. I have seen one of the top Garand smiths in the country correct an op rod using a heavy mallet to strike the rod while it was resting on his work bench. He told me before he did it that I probably wouldn't want to watch! I certainly do not have that level of comfort!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    10-4 thanks for the advice, I want to get a worn cracked or to short op rod to experiment on one day. Theirs low yield in ruining something that works without a problem now, I just wanted to see how the rifle would react if I could accomplish a slight bend without ruining it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thats why I asked about bending the arm only behind the saddle and the rod hooks towards the handle, not the rod itself. Maybe its better better to bring the guide stud closer to spec even though it runs straight and does not come close to a dismount yet. There is just more slack in the saddle than what has been recommended for accuracy, so I thought I would find out from someone who may have done one to see what the consensus was.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    Take it to Charlie Malooney. Off Edmonson AVe near the beltway exit. Great Garand smith. Will fix it while you wait. Only takes cash from new customers... google Charlie Malooney... find his email and website. you will not regret. Not cheap, but done right.

http://www.charliemaloney.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom