• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phelanx

Nov 10, 2016
    I found a complete PSA AR 9mm in PA. After a bit of searching on the forms and it isn't clear whether or not it is cash and carry into MD or if there is paperwork/form that I (or seller?) need to fill out specifically for MD. My current understanding is that it is cash and carry unless it is a regulated firearm, but there seems to be some debate there.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It's cash and carry. However, if the dealer who has it does not agree, you will not be able to buy it.
    Long guns are cash and carry or banned.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not clear as to the OP's question .

The PSA 9mm rifle is not banned, and treated similar to generic long gun.

Is this a private person in Pa or an FFL in Pa ?

Every transfer between residents of different states ( excluding C&R 003 Holders and inherences ) must go thru an FFL . May be based in either Md or Pa .

Md resident may purchase this rifle from a Pa FFL ( I did so myself ).

phelanx

Nov 10, 2016
    Not clear as to the OP's question .

The PSA 9mm rifle is not banned, and treated similar to generic long gun.

Is this a private person in Pa or an FFL in Pa ?

Every transfer between residents of different states ( excluding C&R 003 Holders and inherences ) must go thru an FFL . May be based in either Md or Pa .

Md resident may purchase this rifle from a Pa FFL ( I did so myself ).

Thank you! You've answered the intent of my question and more. Sorry for the ambiguity. To clarify, MD resident buying from PA FFL.

I'm glad to hear that you've done it.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Could I drill down and find exactly WHY the OP's rifle is legal to purchase today, yet a .223 AR is not, seriously.

I bought ALL the weapons and ammo I will ever need (and then 5x some) before 2013 and see little distinction between, say, an H-Bar, (which is only the upper, HOW STUPID!)
    and the 9mm OP's rifle.
    Where is the rub? [I never need to buy guns or ammo anymore, 2013 fixed that for me.] I just want to understand a bit.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Could I drill down and find exactly WHY the OP's rifle is legal to purchase today, yet a .223 AR is not, seriously.

I bought ALL the weapons and ammo I will ever need (and then 5x some) before 2013 and see little distinction between, say, an H-Bar, (which is only the upper, HOW STUPID!)
    and the 9mm OP's rifle.
    Where is the rub? [I never need to buy guns or ammo anymore, 2013 fixed that for me.] I just want to understand a bit.

The law is caliber specific = Only .223 & 5.56 are banned...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

and the 9mm OP's rifle.

The goal of all gun control is the eventual confiscation of all firearms or making it too onerous to own firearms. The this-now-evil-that-is-now-evil is just a nickel and dime approach at the goal. The whole evil assault weapon thing stems from a Cali politician who told her subordinates to look at a book of firearms and pick out which ones looked scary. Trying to find logic in it is a waste of time.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    For the majority of "assault weapons" listed FSA 2013 does not specifically call out caliber, it uses the general "copies"
    Here

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or
    their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon

On the other hand, what you can see is that the MSP intemperates and applies the law as "copy" means the parts are interchangeable and as such the caliber matters. If you look through the reviewed firearms list here you will see many examples of the caliber variation being the difference between Banned and Not Banned.

phelanx

Nov 10, 2016
    Is the Maryland State Police Firearm Review Form the only definitive answer? Seems like there's subjectivity. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but it seems there's quite a bit of studying involved to ensure legality.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A. Pistol cal " AR looking rifles " have different opperating systems.

B. Many pistol cal " AR looking firearms " use dedicated lower recievers that only accept specific pistol magazines , ans cannot accept standard AR-15 magazines .

C. Yes, a lot of things on or not on that list do seem arbitrary,if not random . But pistol cal AR , particularly with dedicated lowers actually make comparitive sense .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Is the Maryland State Police Firearm Review Form the only definitive answer? Seems like there's subjectivity. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but it seems there's quite a bit of studying involved to ensure legality.

No, it's "guidance." Its not even definitive. They do not employ an armorer to compare one sample to anther for bona fide interchangeability.

AR-15 on the EBR list is understood to mean .223/5.56. Anything regulated prior to 2013 became banned in 2013. The regulated rifle list was passed around the time of the 1994 federal ban, and AR-15 was understood to mean 223/5.56 not 9mm at that time.

You wont have a problem finding a MD FFL to transfer a 9mm AR rifle. "cash and carry" means 4473 only, same as a generic long gun. FFLs know the law, get audited by the BATFE (which also knows MD gun laws). They have every incentive to steer you to legal items, like loss of license, jail, and fines, and 9mm AR is legal for sure.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

It is because a .223 / 5.56 AR15 is specifically banned by name in FSA2013. That law banned a list of "named" guns "and their copies." Copies is currently defined (arbitrarily, by the MSP) as "having completely interchangeable parts." For the AR, the line in the law says:

Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle

Thus, any AR15 that has completely interchangeable parts with a Colt AR15 is banned, unless it is an HBAR. If the rifle doesn't have interchangeable parts with a "standard" AR15, then it is not a copy of one and isn't banned UNLESS it also fails the feature test or the OAL test. (Can't have more than one of *grenade launcher*, *flash suppressor*, *folding (not telescoping) stock*, and can't be less than 29" in OAL.)

Since a 9mm AR does not have parts interchangeability with a standard AR, as long as they don't fail the feature test or the OAL test then they aren't banned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The law is caliber specific = Only .223 & 5.56 are banned...

Law is NOT.

MSP advice is that caliber does matter.

However the MSP advice is not legally binding.

But shops will sell you one, so you can buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom