• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Whittakers has two Howa models on sale for $350 including shipping ...

22-inch barrel, standard profile ...
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/7775564

unclear barrel length, but youth model ...
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/38252

The actions and triggers on these Japanese made rifles get good reviews. There have been some complaints that Howa encourages use of US made ammo for optimal function (as the Ruger Mini-30 and CZ 527 at one time used to encourage - perhaps because of the need for stronger primer strikes with Russian ammo), but I haven't seen extensive range reports on the rifle where people test if the cheap ammo actually runs fine.

Another option is of course the new Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 that comes with a threaded barrel, Mini-30 mag compatibility, and is usually in the $400-450 range. I suspect the pricing pressure on Howa is coming from the RAR.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Don’t forget that Australian rifle. I forget it’s make. I know a member here has two. They are hard to find, expensive, but reviews are the ****!!!

I think it’s called the M10

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The whole concept seems kinda weird to me...am I the only one? I was always under the impression 7.62x39 was meant to be cheap commy ammo for cheapish commy autoloaders with "minute of Capitalist" accuracy expectations. Mini 30, while not cheapish, isn't driving tacks either. Both have their place; I'm not trying to be disparaging. :o

Bolt action rifles are supposed to be accurate...especially Howa, right? :shrug: Is there really that much potential in the chambering? Once you go commercial brass cased, isn't it a different situation anyway ($$$)?

I don't know if I have a point here...just speculating out loud :shrug:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The whole concept seems kinda weird to me...am I the only one? I was always under the impression 7.62x39 was meant to be cheap commy ammo for cheapish commy autoloaders with "minute of Capitalist" accuracy expectations.

Same opinion here. Goofy combination. Much more of a curiosity than a useful tool.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The CZ 527 is apparently accurate even with the $0.20/round ammo (better than 1 MOA reviews are out there). Obviously, plenty of folks use 7.62x39 as a hunting round, so light weight bolt-action rifles provide another option. For me, it's a fun thing that I want to eventually add to the collection. I have a KS-47, so have the ammo in stock. I'm likely leaning to get the RAR, but keep checking prices of other 7.62x39 bolt actions - expecting they will be more accurate and cheaper than semiautomatic options that we have available in MD.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Don’t forget that Australian rifle. I forget it’s make. I know a member here has two. They are hard to find, expensive, but reviews are the ****!!!

I think it’s called the M10

Actually didn't know about this one. Thanks for posting.

The M10-A2 bolt action that appears to take AK-47 mags ...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...stralian-international-arms-m10-a2-7-62-x-39/

I believe it's Jimbob that has 2 of them . Very ice little rifles.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks, rj.

A couple more price updates for bolt action 7.62x39 rifles.

Ruger American Rimfire with 16.1" threaded barrel
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...-7.62x39-with-flat-dark-earth-synthetic-stock
    $420 including shipping

CZ 527 American Carbine with checkered "Rustic" aged beechwood stock and 18.5" barrel
    https://www.fwtguns.com/products/rifles-cz-03075-806703030753-2092
    $537 including shipping
    https://tssoutfitters.com/shop/cz-03075-cz-527-american-bolt-7-62x39mm-18-5-5-1-beechwood-stk-blued/
    $540 including shipping

Neither of the above rifles come with iron sights. Both weigh in at about 5.9 lbs. I believe that the CZ ships with rings for a scope with a 1" tube. While the Ruger doesn't ship with rings, it has a much better rail enabling many mounting options. The Ruger has a threaded barrel, the CZ does not (CZ 527 models that do are the synthetic stock versions and more expensive). The Ruger takes Mini-30 mags that come in various sizes. I believe that the CZ 527 only has 5 rd mag options for this caliber (which are available for under $40).

I need to correct something that I wrote in an earlier post. The CZ 527 is apparently designed to optimally shoot the cheaper military surplus ammo, with many reports of accuracy better than 1 MOA.

The CZ has something that they call a set trigger. Normal pull is around 3.5 lbs, but if the trigger blade is flipped forward, there is a 1.5 lb pull if I remember correctly. Reviewers seem to like it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    A bolt action and 7.62x39 just seem like an oxymoron. But if that is what you want go for it. Love my Howa btw.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm finding this to be a very tough choice. Frankly the Howa options at the current sale prices, the Ruger American Ranch, and various CZ 527 models all have appeal for different reasons. I kind of hope friends get one of the above, so I can get a different one to compare/contrast.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm finding this to be a very tough choice. Frankly the Howa options at the current sale prices, the Ruger American Ranch, and various CZ 527 models all have appeal for different reasons. I kind of hope friends get one of the above, so I can get a different one to compare/contrast.

I’m waiting to get glass but you can take my RAR anytime you want

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I’m waiting to get glass but you can take my RAR anytime you want

I ordered the CZ 527 with rustic stock.

I have the RAR gen 1 in 300 BLK (and an extensive thread here at MDS on it), so this also allows me to mix it up.

Was very tempted by the Howa too as I've had good luck with Japanese made rifles, and wonder if imports will increase in price next year.

I'm probably going to put a Nikon Monarch 2-10x with BDC reticle on CZ 527 as it adds less than a pound and really covers an useful magnification range (imo) for the 7.62x39 round on a putative brush gun.

I might have a spare Weaver 3-12x with very pretty glass if that might work for you (as I owe you).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I ordered the CZ 527 with rustic stock.

I have the RAR gen 1 in 300 BLK (and an extensive thread here at MDS on it), so this also allows me to mix it up.

Was very tempted by the Howa too as I've had good luck with Japanese made rifles, and wonder if imports will increase in price next year.

I'm probably going to put a Nikon Monarch 2-10x with BDC reticle on the rifle as it adds less than a pound and really covers an ideal magnification range (imo) for the 7.62x39 round for a putative brush gun.

I might have a spare Weaver 3-12x with very pretty glass if that might work for you (as I owe you).

I appreciate ya sir but I’ve already got the vortex and rings in the cart. I’m trying to hold off for no other reason than guilt, as i bought/built 4 Guns in March.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Lol, I am familiar with the guilt. And I will find a way to even up. Although I think you should really look at this glass before buying the Vortex. I got it more than half off at Vortex like prices.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Lol, I am familiar with the guilt. And I will find a way to even up. Although I think you should really look at this glass before buying the Vortex. I got it more than half off at Vortex like prices.

LEO discount sir! 40% off ;)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Buy the CZ 527. I LOVE mine. My only knock is that extra mags are $40 each.
    Pics of mine below. The 527 Carbine Rustic model (in 7.62x39) - that many places advertise as the American Rustic model and provide a picture of a 527 without iron sights. In fact I thought I was getting the latter model, but decided to keep the Carbine Rustic with iron sights after receiving. Required a higher scope mount, which Bob at Gunrunners took care of for me. As it is nominally a "brush gun", I don't mind the higher head position. She's wearing a Nikon Monarch 2-10x. Looking forward to seeing how she performs at the range, especially with cheap ammo.
    9b130652641be2090ec89b1fd5a2a94b.jpg
    c7529b8ac7aa7ef9a73400153d9fadc4.jpg

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Looks good, my good Doctor! Hopefully she shoots to your expectations. Let us know once you've had a chance to play.

I've been happy with the accuracy of my Ruger... it pretty much eats whatever I feed it with pretty good results. Still waiting for my new can so I can have some quiet fun (have laid in a fair supply of subsonic 7.62x39... it was back ordered but since I'm still waiting for the suppressor, no biggie).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom