• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chinrednek

Jul 3, 2012
    I'm wondering on thoughts of how the ATF will handle the pot question now that you will be able to legally go into Canada and smoke pot. Before the rationale was that it really wasn't really "legal" in the US even though some states legalized it and it wasn't federally legal anywhere in the world. Now it's legal up north, is the ATF going to be able to stop you from doing something that is legal?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Until it's legal by US Federal law there will be no change.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

If it's legal in Canada, then it is not "unlawful use" if you smoke it there (as long as you follow their laws). Though it may be considered "addiction" if you are willing to drive 8 hours just for a toke.

Your assertion is incorrect...it has been legal for some time in some European countries. No, they will not be waiting to cuff you when you get off the plane back home. (unless you try to bring some back with you)

Bottom line...read the form carefully, and answer honestly, and you shouldn't have any problems.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The question says unlawful user. If you've used it in the USA its illegal federally regardless of what state you are in. If you are in another country, the ATF has no juristiction for starters. But if its not unlawful, you can just say no.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That 4473 is a US based federal form.

Head north, embrace the freedom, smoke as much weed as you want, then come back home and buy as many guns as you want.

It's not like there are urine and hair sample tests undertaken when filling out Disapproved/Not Disapproved paperwork.

I don't see how this is even a question.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Also, if you tour outside the US, there are many things that are deemed illegal in the US, but not in other parts of the world.

Pot is one of the tamer ones. :innocent0

Chinrednek

Jul 3, 2012
    Your assertion is incorrect...it has been legal for some time in some European countries. No, they will not be waiting to cuff you when you get off the plane back home. (unless you try to bring some back with you)

Pot is not "legal" anywhere in Europe. It has been decriminalized or openly not enforced but still not legal

I guess 4473 says "unlawful" user. I guess if you're in Canada, it would not apply.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, if you tour outside the US, there are many things that are deemed illegal in the US, but not in other parts of the world.

Pot is one of the tamer ones. :innocent0

Although there are some things that are legal on other counties, that the US has laws against US citizens participating in.

And in some cases, the situation my actually be legal in some states in the US.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, until it's legal at the Federal level UNLAWFUL use will remain a barrier to firearms ownership in the US.

If you go to Canada to consume you are outside jurisdiction, it is not unlawful there. Use in California is unlawful since it's still a Schedule I substance by Federal law, even if CA state recognizes it as legal.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You can have marijuana or guns. But not both.

4473 ask if you used marijuana? It does not ask if you’ve used it where it is legal to do so.

If you’re a marijuana user. By federal standards. You are a prohibited person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom