Anyone ever shoot at The Cove in Gore, VA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I used to go Jeeping at this place way back about 15 years ago, but stopped after getting out of Jeeps. Apparently they've added range facilities. Thinking about going this weekend if it ever quits raining.

Anyone been there? Decent place?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I used to go Jeeping at this place way back about 15 years ago, but stopped after getting out of Jeeps. Apparently they've added range facilities. Thinking about going this weekend if it ever quits raining.

Anyone been there? Decent place?

That's where I shoot. I like it because it doesn't get very crowded. The new 650 yard range will be opening in late fall.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    That's where I shoot. I like it because it doesn't get very crowded. The new 650 yard range will be opening in late fall.
    I haven't shot there but it looks like I will be soon/ late fall. I have ridden there several times and they are good people from my experience.

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I've been there a few times.
    Pros
    You can shoot steel, watermelons and tannerite and you stay as long as you like. Every time I've been there I've seen a full-auto which is cool.

Cons:
    it gets hot as hell when the sun is out

Not as strict as others on safety, be prepared to get swept

Almost inaccessible to non-4wd cars.

A bit out of the way.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    In the past... We had camped there and it used to be free, but it was nothing more than a mountain top that had been bull dozed...
    They made improvements and provided and RSO and then they wanted money to go shoot.
    After paying expensive camping fees we said no thank you and did not shoot.

Good luck.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    Can't speak to the range, but have been there before for offroad events. Each time the event was full of drunken idiots that couldn't police themselves. Everyone seemed fine with the combination of drinking and offroad driving. I won't ever go back. If the range is anything like the off-road trails I would avoid it.

Last edited:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Can't speak to the range, but have been there before for offroad events. Each time the event was full of drunken idiots that couldn't police themselves. Everyone seemed fine with the combination of drinking and offroad driving. I won't every go back. If the range is anything like the off-road trails I would avoid it.

The range is nothing like that. In the 6 years I've been shooting there, I never once felt unsafe. It is the only range I bring my kids to.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The range is nothing like that. In the 6 years I've been shooting there, I never once felt unsafe. It is the only range I bring my kids to.

years ago it was pretty much a free-for-all, but now they've cleaned it up and have a range officer there, although he pretty much sat in his car and i had to ask a couple a few empty benches down to move forward to the firing line so there'd be less chance of them flagging/shooting me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom