• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Hey, got a question about a build problem I'm having.
    Starting with a new LWRC IC lower. Comes with the factory trigger, which tests fine on the bench. Took that out and installed a Geissele Select Fire trigger and a Battle Arms Development M4 selector. And the trigger won't drop until the very tail end of the pull on semi auto. About 10% of the time, it won't even release the hammer. Moved the Geissele trigger to a different rifle and it works fine. Switched to a different full auto selector, still semi auto won't drop the trigger. Swapped the trigger into another receiver, where it worked great. Put in an old Geissele trigger in this new receiver, and same problem. So I don't think the trigger is out of spec, plus its Geissele, so that's unlikely anyway.
    Took out the selector entirely, and then semi auto works.
    So in normal operation, the selector stops the tail end of the trigger. For some reason, on this lower, the tail of the trigger seems to be getting to the selector too soon, before the disconnector pulls out. Tried two other selectors with the same problem on this lower.
    I measured using digital calipers and the trigger pin hole and selector hole are the same distance from the bottom of the receiver on this receiver as an another that works fine. I would think that this could happen if the selector hole was cut too low in the receiver.
    Really out of ideas. Anyone input appreciated!
    BTW, yes all NFA rules apply and this is for a FFL7/SOT2 post-dealer sample. Thanks for reading...

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I have no input on a select fire set up but I did have some issues with a SSA E in my lr 308 build. I was experiencing and excessive amount of creep in the second stage pull. I installed the trigger in another receiver and it was fine so I was worried my receiver might of been out of spec. I sent the trigger to Geissele and it checked out fine but they sent me a new one anyway. Put it back in the rifle and it worked fine. I had a conversation with Nick at geissele and he explained the fit between the reciever and the trigger could be at the he opposite ends of acceptable tolerances their for one or the other being slightly off could cause problems.
    What ever your issue is I’m sure a call to Giessele will get you in the right direction.
    Wish I had more help for you. Good luck with your build.

Btw I got to admit a bit of envy for such a cool toy you are building or working on!

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was sort of thinking maybe the same thing, that the tolerances are off somewhere on the trigger or the receiver. I dropped a three round burst trigger in there, supposedly Bushmaster parts, and it worked flawlessly. LWRC makes some great stuff, but have definitely seen them get a little sloppy here and there.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    CMOS, are you old enough to remember Montgomery Donuts? E. Gude was best.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    CMOS, are you old enough to remember Montgomery Donuts? E. Gude was best.

Unrelated but I am!!!

We hit that spot on every vacation where we had to hop on 270 to start the trip. I always got a bear claw!!!

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was sort of thinking maybe the same thing, that the tolerances are off somewhere on the trigger or the receiver. I dropped a three round burst trigger in there, supposedly Bushmaster parts, and it worked flawlessly. LWRC makes some great stuff, but have definitely seen them get a little sloppy here and there.

I’m sure with any company that mass produce any type of product no matter how high end they are, one or two duds will slip through QC every once in a while. I’m not faulting giessele one bit because they made sure to make the situation right for me.

A good friend of mine was a machinist at lwrc’s parent company and he would tell me about huge tubs of rejected parts headed for the scrap heap. Just goes to show that no matter how precise these million dollar machines are, they still need to be constantly checked in order to stay accurate.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I know this sounds obvious, but have you contacted Geissele to see if they have any idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom