• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    So Im considering replacing my MOE SL handgaurd with a drop in style rail. The rifle is mid-length. Any suggestions? It will prob get a light on it and it will have a sling attached. Thanks

*also open is someone has one to sell, I’d listen!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    What is your budget? Are you looking for slim profile, or doesn't matter. Will weight be a factor? Are you looking to free float the foreend, or keep the MOE (non-free float) basic profile (sounds like it in your description)? Sling options?

I know, a lot of questions, but it factors into rail selection (keymod, m-lok, picatinny), configuration (rail sections for keymod and m-lok), and cost.

Q

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I have a rail adapter for a sling mount. No free float, just pop off the Magpul and pop this in and (im assuming) bolt the halves together. Its on a 14.5(pinned) upper. I dont want a ton of extra weight obviously, but Ill be honest, not looking to spend a ton either

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am curious what you're expecting to get out of this, TBH. Going to an aluminum handguard isn't necessarily going to make for a cooler handguard, and the MOE SL is plenty strong for the use cases you're proposing.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    The SL handguard heats up significantly faster than my previous Non SL model, I also figured that the aluminum would bleed the radiated heat off faster. Am incorrect?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The SL handguard heats up significantly faster than my previous Non SL model, I also figured that the aluminum would bleed the radiated heat off faster. Am incorrect?
    You're not wrong per se, but it would theoretically get hotter faster, too. It's hard to beat the laws of physics.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Ranchero, how do you know what size you need etc?? Is it polymer?

Yeah, plastic which seems fine for the duty. Carbine length gas system too. Took some fenangling to get it to fit thanks to being a Chinese knock off.

I wanted something smooth to the touch that wouldn't abrade against my hands while shooting. It also has a couple piccy rail mounts for the side and a choice of long or short on the bottom. I'm not a big fan of the 4 sided piccy railed aluminum versions because they look big and fat compared to the receiver.

I did a 12" super slim free floating aluminum rail on my 10.5" pistol build and it worked out well.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I had Magpul SL on a 308, it does not heat up that fast. My aluminum free float rails in the sun (on my 556) heat up faster, frankly.

If you are going to change it, go big or go home - carbon fiber free float. My 0.02, another non-free-float rail wont cure the problem. A lot of the heat is conducted through the gas block, which gets really ****ing hot. You need to put some insulation (aka air) between that and the rail. Carbon fiber, like plastic, not a good heat conductor. On a free float, the heat is conducted from the barrel nut. Otherwise, its from the gas block.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a Knight's Armament made handguard from a Colt carbine. The bottom handguard was spring loaded at the rear and the top had a spring tightened up by a hex screw actuated lever. This removed all free play from the handguard and kept the accuracy consistent. Only issue was it would not fit an HBAR profile barrel. The other profile heavy barrel by Ruger or Colt would have worked. But, it was the original larger diameter 4 piccatinny rail type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom