• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    This week I started seeing deer in the fields during daylight hours around here in Iowa. Also seeing numerous dead deer on the side of I-29.

Curious about what is sparking this?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Do you have corn/ soy crips growing in the fields? Deer eat that stuff. They bed down a lot during the day in brush along fields but will get up to eat if they feel safe. Normal behavior. Winter is coming.

The ones on the road tried to cross the road. Why did the deer cross the road? To get to the other field.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is their time to get as fat as possible. They will eat now that crops are growing. They also are smart enough to know that they aren't in season and they can do just about anything the well please. These same deer will disappear 2 weeks before deer season for no reason, other than the fact that know they will be hunted.

They are some smart animals. So smart that most hunters will be skunked the entire deer hunting season, while these guys sit in their man cave or wherever they go, laughing at us.

It's good to see them. I watched 10 of them in a field just this weekend. They had no worries at all.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    This is their time to get as fat as possible. They will eat now that crops are growing. They also are smart enough to know that they aren't in season and they can do just about anything the well please. These same deer will disappear 2 weeks before deer season for no reason, other than the fact that know they will be hunted.

They are some smart animals. So smart that most hunters will be skunked the entire deer hunting season, while these guys sit in their man cave or wherever they go, laughing at us.

It's good to see them. I watched 10 of them in a field just this weekend. They had no worries at all.

Does also feed a lot at this time of year to produce milk for the fawns.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does also feed a lot at this time of year to produce milk for the fawns.

^^^This is key.

Fawns are getting bigger and more independent. They need more to eat/drink plus, they are starting to wean. Moms must work full time to keep things under control. Everyone is piling down the nourishment.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Seen a ton out in daylight around here too. They're really going at it this year in terms of chowing down too! Squirrels have been packing it on too. Wondering if it's going to be a hard winter.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ive been seeing more than average bucks around my way I guess because of the poor harvest last year on the shore, and plenty of them. A bachelor group of whoppers last Saturday night nearby. Thats why I'm adamantly against the proposed extension to the regional firearms season on the mid shore. You have to let them grow a bit to get a decent animal but everybody wants a shot at a big one but just cant seem to get it done I guess. Some will win big this year for sure.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I live in mayo and have been seeing two 8-10 (?) point bucks hanging out in a small grass plot just off of 214.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I saw a group of three nice bucks in velvet on a sod farm around 6pm last Friday after the rain let up. It seems like they're always a little more active in daylight hours in mid summer.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have the same 2 deer in my back yard every morning at 5:30 sharp. They return every night at 7:30 sharp as long as I'm not making noise outside and the kids aren't playing.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
      IMG_0403.jpg
      116.1 KB · Views: 236

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county

Had to finish the rest of last season's meat. I'm on a crop damage permit and might get out there this weekend.

Chili was fantastic of course as always. Brought some to work for a co-worker, she loved it. She is on a diet so I told her it was "free-range extra lean meat chili."

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I saw a good size doe eating the grass between the sidewalk and curb on Rt. 43/Bel Air Road yesterday, with cars wizzing by at 45 MPH. No fear.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    I see these in my back yard daily. I was standing about 15 yards away and my dog was barking at them. They eventually walked into the woods. There's a large group of does that come around also.

20170727_0636042.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom