• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Ok.. been to a couple of joints since we moved here... Last night was Cacique great food and atmosphere (apparently owned by the same people that own Mariachi). Again great food... but its toned down to Anglo tastes.

We found one little joint off of 40 in the corner of a strip mall, but it either changed hands or changed cooks...

Any suggestions for authentic mexican? And I aint talkin aboot taco bell!!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Chipotle.
    JK. Most people can't handle authentic Mexican. That said, go to a Mejican store and ask.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Cacique (Market St., includes South American influences.)

Cafe Bueno (east st.)

Casa Rico (Corner of the Frederick Towne Mall parking lot)

Fajita Grande (rt 40)

Julios Mexican (7th, near the hospital)

LA Paz (Market St at Carroll Creek)

Los Toltecos (7th St shopping ctr)

Mariachi (East St.)

Mexicali Cantina (South St., across from Rita's)

Santa Rosa (behind old MSP barracks)

I don't think any of them are particularly OHMYGODYOUHAVETOEATTHERE delicious, and while I've never been into Julios, the others all have their high points. I think Cafe Bueno is actually fairly true. Most everything there is made from scratch, sauces included. They do serve American breakfasts, but also very good huevos rancheros, huevos chorizo, etc.

I grew up in Texas, & one of the many things I miss are places that serve really good breakfast tacos. Really a very simple thing, but no place around here seems to get it. And I can't bring myself to go to taco bell.

Last edited:

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    With apologies in advance if my culinary ignorance lumps everything together, but we like going to the el salvadoran place behind the former MSP barracks on 40. It sits on the building between JoAnns and Baughmans Lane and is adjacent to Thomas Scott salon

---
    Shamr0ck

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    With apologies in advance if my culinary ignorance lumps everything together, but we like going to the el salvadoran place behind the former MSP barracks on 40. It sits on the building between JoAnns and Baughmans Lane and is adjacent to Thomas Scott salon

---
    Shamr0ck

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Over the last 6 months or so i've become a fan of El Salvadorian food. Some of my co workers are from El Salvador and the food they bring in is off the hook! :party29:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012

---
    Shamr0ck
    YES, I forgot about that place. I like that place too. Good catch!

I edited my list above to add this place. I think it's Santa Rosa?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Fajita Grande (rt 40)
    Cafe Bueno (east st.)
    Mariachi (East St.)
    And the place in the corner of the Frederick Towne Mall parking lot (name?)

I don't think any of them are particularly OHMYGODYOUHAVETOEATTHERE delicious, and while I've never been into Julios, the others all have their high points. I think Cafe Bueno is actually fairly true. Most everything there is made from scratch, sauces included. They do serve American breakfasts, but also very good huevos rancheros, huevos chorizo, etc.

I grew up in Texas, & one of the many things I miss are places that serve really good breakfast tacos. Really a very simple thing, but no place around here seems to get it. And I can't bring myself to go to taco bell.

no need to disclose your location.

:D

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Fajita Grande (rt 40)
    Cafe Bueno (east st.)
    Mariachi (East St.)
    And the place in the corner of the Frederick Towne Mall parking lot (name?)

Thanks, there are two on that list that we haven't hit. Agree, all have thier good points. Got spoiled in FL with Mexican-American neighbors and co-workers.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks, there are two on that list that we haven't hit. Agree, all have thier good points. Got spoiled in FL with Mexican-American neighbors and co-workers.
    I finally remembered the name of the last one, Casa Rico, & updated that list.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As someone who was originally from Albuquerque, NM I sympathize with your trouble in finding a place that hasn't "Angloized" the food to the point you have to bring your own hot sauce with you (my brother's fix and he still lives in Albuquerque). Once you get past the Rio Grande in Bethesda the pickings are slim. All the places in Frederick are decent, just not up near the top. Used to be a decent Salvadorian(?) place a few doors down from the chain eatery on the Golden Mile (you can tell because the place ran the Spanish cable channel all the time). Not sure its still there. El Ranchero in Hagerstown is not too bad although very busy at peak times and not quite the top. Viva Mexico in Inwood, WV is similar to that. However between there and Martinsburg on Rte. 11 is a place called the Serrano Grill. Everyone I know considers that the best place in the area. There might be a few hole-in-the-wall places that are better but I have not seen one as yet.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    None of them are very good. Cacique has good drinks. If you're into Cuban, check out Sabor de Cuba. Great cuban as well as a habanero margarita.

The el Salvadoran place everyone is talking about is Santa Rosa mentioned above.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    None of them are very good. Cacique has good drinks. If you're into Cuban, check out Sabor de Cuba. Great cuban as well as a habanero margarita.

The el Salvadoran place everyone is talking about is Santa Rosa mentioned above.

Speaking of Cuban, has anyone been by 'that Cuban place' on east church lately? Alfredo passed away in February and I don't know if his wife kept the restaurant open or not.

Isn't there a tex/mex place on market @ Carroll creek? Used to be next to the parking deck on church street only accessible from the back parking lot?

---
    Shamr0ck

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I finally remembered the name of the last one, Casa Rico, & updated that list.

I have no idea if it is authentic or not, but I love that place.

Also, kind of in the Frederick area, sort of, is Mi Rancho in Germantown. Family place that's been there forever. I really like their food, but again, I have no idea if it is "authentic" or not.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Speaking of Cuban, has anyone been by 'that Cuban place' on east church lately? Alfredo passed away in February and I don't know if his wife kept the restaurant open or not.

Isn't there a tex/mex place on market @ Carroll creek? Used to be next to the parking deck on church street only accessible from the back parking lot?

---
    Shamr0ck
    I haven't been to TCP in a couple of years, but enjoyed it even after they moved to their current location. I'm not sure if they're open or not.

I think "not very good" is relative. They all have faults, but they also all have some things that are *very* good.

Yeah, the place on market street at the creek is La Paz. I guess it slipped my mind because *that's* the one place that was unique & very good before they moved to their current location, but I think has rolled to the bottom of the hill over the last 5-6 years. Just my opinion though, I think other people enjoy it. I'll add it to my list above though. Thanks for mentioning it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

---
    Shamr0ck

Not a fan of either of the two. The Cuban place is particularly poor. The other is just meh. Not sure if it's mentioned upthread but for Latin styled chicken, the Peruvian place Sardi's is popular with a lot of folks Frederick (not my thing, but the wife loves the place).

We tend to get out of Frederick for Mexican. For just tacos, we like Tortacos off Lost Knife Road in Gaithersburg (same general complex as a Trader Joe's). For a more complete menu, Oyamel in DC is excellent, although a bit upscale. For tacos, some other Mexican fare, and a good selection of tequila, a DC bar called El Chucho is fun. The food is tasty and the bar has a From Dusk To Dawn vibe to it, but alas, no Selma Hayek.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I'll go back later when I have time & edit these into the list I've got going. I alphabetized it too, fur I don't know why, but I'll add the not-Mexican places & those outside the Frederick area as well. If you have brief comments you think would be good to include, add those to your posts & I'll include them as well.

We're all going to get fat (ter?)
    Not a fan of either of the two. The Cuban place is particularly poor. The other is just meh. Not sure if it's mentioned upthread but for Latin asked chicken, the Peruvian place Sardi's is popular with a lot of folks Frederick (not my thing, but the wife loves the place).

We tend to get out of Frederick for Mexican. For just tacos, we like Tortacos of Lost Knife Road in Gaithersburg (same general complex as a Trader Joe's). Will edit this post and add the name of DC bar with awesome tacos once the name comes to mind.

Also not in Frederick, but really good!

Top notch Salvadorian and Mexican in Ashton which is where New Hampshire Ave crosses Rt 108 in Montgomery County. Not far from Olney.

http://www.elandariegomexicanrestaurant.com/

---
    Shamr0ck

As someone who was originally from Albuquerque, NM I sympathize with your trouble in finding a place that hasn't "Angloized" the food to the point you have to bring your own hot sauce with you (my brother's fix and he still lives in Albuquerque). Once you get past the Rio Grande in Bethesda the pickings are slim. All the places in Frederick are decent, just not up near the top. Used to be a decent Salvadorian(?) place a few doors down from the chain eatery on the Golden Mile (you can tell because the place ran the Spanish cable channel all the time). Not sure its still there. El Ranchero in Hagerstown is not too bad although very busy at peak times and not quite the top. Viva Mexico in Inwood, WV is similar to that. However between there and Martinsburg on Rte. 11 is a place called the Serrano Grill. Everyone I know considers that the best place in the area. There might be a few hole-in-the-wall places that are better but I have not seen one as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom