• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I really want a 1903A3 to accompany my M1 Garand. Just looking for opinions on where to buy and what to avoid.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Try the CMP bolt action site or GunBroker.com. I purchased several nice 1903A3s from GB and sold a few on CMP in 2011. Several nice A3s have been advertised on CMP recently in the $750 range. Expect to pay $700-800 for one with decent metal, stock and inspector stamps. Most should be in pretty fair condition because they saw little, if any, wartime duty.

I would avoid Armslist because they've experienced too many scams and you can't evaluate the seller's record. Seek out a reputable seller whose track record can be verified through customer feedback...both CMP and GunBroker have rating systems in place to evaluate their sellers and buyers. There are no fees imposed by CMP.

Last edited:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    They're fairly easy to find. James river has been mentioned but those are purely shooters. I always see A3's at shows, so that's a good place to look. When it comes to what to look for and what to avoid, that can be hard since even the civilian rebuilds are built from GI parts. The new builds are usually freshly parkarized and have nice clean stocks. Remember that the US never matched individual parts to a rifle like a lot of Europe did, so as long as all the parts are original GI, the rifle is correct.
    Edit: someone below mentioned receivers. Definitely make sure the receiver says US Remington (or Smith-Corona) Model 03A3.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Avoid:

Anything with a "National Ordnance" receiver - crappy commercial receivers built into "rifles" with USGI and aftermarket parts.

Rifles built from reclaimed drill rifles (these had the barrel tack welded to the receiver and the magazine cut off). The welds are ground down and broken and then the damaged areas filled in and reshaped. Safe to fire? maybe, but they are like a car with a salvage title.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Avoid:

Anything with a "National Ordnance" receiver - crappy commercial receivers built into "rifles" with USGI and aftermarket parts.

Rifles built from reclaimed drill rifles (these had the barrel tack welded to the receiver and the magazine cut off). The welds are ground down and broken and then the damaged areas filled in and reshaped. Safe to fire? maybe, but they are like a car with a salvage title.

Pay attentiom to this list. Some people swear by recovers drill rifles others don't care but a large number of the A3s being offered right now are recovered drill rifles.

Aim
    Fulton
    James River
    Gibbs and many others l see to be drill rifles. For the price I would expect the sarco ones are as well. If all you ever want is a shooter they may servceyou well you are getting a brand new barrel so accuracy should be great just ddon't fool yourself about what you are buying.

CMP only has what goes to auction they have been out of A3s for a while now so unless you want to bid on one cmp isn't an option.

Believe it or not estate sales and pawn shops do hold some gems but I would bid low as the history is unknown on these rifles.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The secondary market is full of Remington and SC 03A3s so finding a nice one for a fair price ($650-750) shouldn't be difficult. Auctions, estate sales, online market places like the WTS section here on MDS, Gunboards or Armslist. Better if you can inspect in person but if the seller will honor a 3 day inspection period then you aren't risking anything beyond shipping costs. Obviously buying at auction is a risk as there is no return, after the gavel falls it's yours. But if it's a local auction you now have the ability to inspect beforehand. As KH195 says there is an upcoming auction at Redding and they're C&R friendly, very nice to deal with. Even if you don't have a C&R MD residents can purchase in PA, just have to go through the PICS background check. No buyers premium, just PA sales tax. Something to consider.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Skeeter in Smithsburg has a Remington as well as a Smith Corona last time i was in there.

Theres another place in Hagerstown that has two 1903s but I much prefer the A3s

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Stu969,

Good suggestions and X2 on the CMP bolt action forum for better quality A3's.
    I've also seen a few @ Nations in normal price range of $650-750. A must is carry either M2 ball or CMP bullet gauge to measure barrel erosion.

If you find one on CMP always ask seller for barrel wear, 0 & 1 are the best, 2 & 3 are shooters and past that ................run

If you use an M2 Ball round if the barrel eats it past the bullet its shot out needs new barrel.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    Definitely found a few on GB that interest me. Prices seem to be pushing close to $1k, same is true for James River and CMP right now. Naturally the one I am most interested in still has 5 days to go on the auction. Any other opinions on the Sarcos?

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I really happy with my '43 Rem 03a3 I got from sarco. its a shooter not a collector item. it is not a recovered drill rifle. there is no signs of weld on the receiver near the barrel and the cut off lever appear original also with no signs of welding as well. or they did a very good job of cleaning it up. the barrel is not original. the barrel is NOS from '44. the rear sight is also not original.

as other have said you have to watch for recovered drill rifles. here is a link where a guy recovered a drill rifle. it has some good pictures of what a was done to the rifle to make it a drill rifle

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/03A3.htm

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Definitely found a few on GB that interest me. Prices seem to be pushing close to $1k, same is true for James River and CMP right now. Naturally the one I am most interested in still has 5 days to go on the auction. Any other opinions on the Sarcos?

Have you checked in any local pawn shops? I found one someone was using as a hu ting rifle. Chopped the stock and shellaced it. I cleaned it up, added a new old stock and some elbow grease. I have less than 500 into is and its one of my best shooters.

Ps don't be afraid of some light pitting esp near the chamber many of these fired corrosive ammo at some point. Mine was a little dark and had some minor pitting but the muzzle was very tight so I picked it up and have been pleasantly impressed.
    Not a beauty queen diamond in the rough maybe?
    20130119_165221.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Cleaned up and dressed appropriately. Stock and metal cost me approx 130
    20130331_104720_zps7ceaee9f.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Total investment 420ish give or take.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't know what was so special about it but On Target has a consignment 1903A3 for $2K

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom