• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    As other have said, Spyderco is my go to. My other one, which doesn’t really work for a lot of people, is the Benchmade Infidel. The OTF knifes are amazing.

Hytaro

Oct 10, 2018
    North Bergen,NJ
    I have owned a buch of kinves, different brands, different shapes, different blade materials, many of them failed for different reasons. My experiences with knives have shaped my opinions. A quality knife that suites your personal needs is one to hold on to wether it be 'stainless' or carbon steel. I have a D-2 steel folder that I have carried for 20 years. The blade has been resharpened perhaps 100 times and has gotten a bit thin in the process, it looks like it has been through a couple of wars, dang ugly, but I would not trade it because it works. A knife is a tool, a good tool is worth it's weight in gold when you need it. I have had the best success with quality carbon steel blades hence my devotion to them, but I am not an ultimate authority, just a man with an opinion. Just remember, everything on a knife can be repaired or replaced,except the blade, the blade is the heart of every knife.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    I am a true fan of the Victorinox pioneer (or soldier 1965) and more recently its brother the pioneer x (with scissors). They have served me well for decades and are consistently well made. Additionally the lifetime warranty is that. Victorinox will make you happy, maybe you have to reach out to Victorinox in Switzerland, but the Elsinors stand by their product.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

Looks like a nice little offering for frequent travelers. Price i think was 135 which is a little expensive but it is new and benchmade makes a quality product with great customer service.

marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    Limited to that small of a blade, I would opt for one of the newer compact multi-tools, a Skeletool CX has a good 2.5" blade with pliers, a bottle opener/carabiner, and interchangeable bit driver with 2 double sided bits, and a pocket clip, the Juice, style and squirt models are also small enough. You get a larger handle for more control of the blade, and a lot more functionality for about the same weight as a larger folder. Even a Swiss army knife may add some features like scissors or a bottle opener that can be useful to you, and there are a ton of models under 2.5"

If you want a blade only, then it depends quite a bit on what you want it for, light EDC tasks like opening mail and cutting tape would lend itself to a simple thin drop point knife. Trimming nails, grooming, or delicate trimming work need a fine tip, a clip point or perhaps a narrow reverse tanto. Cutting thicker material like fiber straps and cardboard would require a broader leaf point or fat wharncliffe probably serrated. Blade design and quality are everything, a thick steep grind won't last and has to push a lot of material aside to cut, a delicate and thin full flat grind in cheap steel will slide well, but chip or break with hard use. With small knives, traction is key, you don't have a lot to hold onto, so smooth scales like Kershaw's steel scales can slip, textured G10 or FRN(fiberglass reinforced nylon) would be ideal, Spyderco has some of the best handle designs, you also need a nice sure grip, more jimping(textured finger rest areas) and a deeper choil(cutout underneath for inxed finger) will give a better grip, on a larger knife these are still important, espacially for a "tactical" knife, but you have a lot more handle to hold.

The lock is mostly a matter of prefference, there are some differences in strength and operation, but most that are well made will hold up to anything a small knife will encounter, a quality knife locks up smooth and solid with no play. Clip position and carry mode may matter to you, many prefer tip up, some tip down, others use a belt sheath, neck sheath, keychain, or even loose in a pocket, you may also like to use a paracord lanyard(requiring a lanyard hole), they can help control small knives site, give your pinkie something to hold onto, and makes it easier to draw. Steel also makes a difference, although less than design, quality, and geometry, a softer 420, 8cr13MoV or AUS8A is easy to sharpen, tough, and inexpensive, mid-grade VG-10, 154CM, or S30V add toughness, abrasion reisitance, and edge retension in varyng capacities, ZDP-189, M4, or M390 offer the pinnacle of quality, best edge retension, and a tough steel at high hardness, might take a long time to sharpen, but they hold an edge for a long time.

There aren't many decent knife shops with a big selection around, places like Dick's and Bass pro may have a few, but are expensive compared to Amazon or BladeHQ. With less expensive EDCs you can take a chance, find one that looks appealing, has the features you like, and then order one to try out, but for a better knife it is best to hold it in your hand before purchasing.

some decent suggestions posted already, the CS tufflite, Spydt cat, KAI scallion w/polymer handles. I would add the Spidy Ambitious, Spidy Dragonfly, Spidy Gale Bradley, SOG flash 1, and CS mini Lawman, decent range of 2.5" and smaller, the Ambitious is probably the most knife for the money. There may be others that could work, or some 2.5" that won't depending on how they measure 2.5", most measure them diffently, some to the handle, some measure edge length, some pick a spot in between.
    looking at getting a new folding pocket knife. I’ve had the typical kershaws and Gerbers. Any one here have skiff or used them before? I like several of their knives and hear good things about them. Looking to keep price at $50 or less. Thanks

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    looking at getting a new folding pocket knife. I’ve had the typical kershaws and Gerbers. Any one here have skiff or used them before? I like several of their knives and hear good things about them. Looking to keep price at $50 or less. Thanks
    buck 835

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    These guys?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I know several guys who have modded their knives and use upgraded skiff bearings - they swear by them.

Have to believe the skiff knives are of equal quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    These guys?
    Steven Skiff makes some great stuff, I have a couple of his bearings in other things. Guessing they are not what Marcwells is talking about though, usually priced around a Grand, and with knives at that level most buyers are knowledgeable fanatics.

Guessing this:https://skif-knives.com/en/

IMO most anything in that price range is a cheap beater knife and not all that good. Cheap materials, mediocre design, no real warranty, poor fit, and sometimes things like cheap thin linerlocks can be prone to fail. Major brands with a retail presence like Kershaw and Spyderco at least have decent designs and customer service though. In most cases you can get a quality knife for between $100-$200, MUCH better design and materials, better lock, better steel, better coatings, and the list goes on. Spydercos with S30V or better steel, ZT, some Kershaw, Benchmade, Hogue, and others. Going up from there higher end production like Microtech, Heretic, Benchmade, Reate, Rike, or production models from custom Makers like Hindered, Begg or CRK have perfect fit and finish, the best design and materials, and often cool features or some artistic flair from inlays or patterned Damascus. Over that, you are paying for exclusivity and a peice of art.

If you have never owned a knife over $100, the usual suggestions under $200 typically are the Benchmade 940 or Bugout, Spyderco Para 2 or 3, Hogue Deka or RSK, We framelocks, or anything from Zero Tolerence. Once you carry one for a while you probably won't want anything less. Even if you get into $1K collectibles, you will still probably carry these $200ish production knives daily.

whiskey3

MDS Supporter
    Jul 27, 2022
    Solomons, MD
    Steven Skiff makes some great stuff, I have a couple of his bearings in other things. Guessing they are not what Marcwells is talking about though, usually priced around a Grand, and with knives at that level most buyers are knowledgeable fanatics.

IMO most anything in that price range is a cheap beater knife and not all that good. Cheap materials, mediocre design, no real warranty, poor fit, and sometimes things like cheap thin linerlocks can be prone to fail. Major brands with a retail presence like Kershaw and Spyderco at least have decent designs and customer service though. In most cases you can get a quality knife for between $100-$200, MUCH better design and materials, better lock, better steel, better coatings, and the list goes on. Spydercos with S30V or better steel, ZT, some Kershaw, Benchmade, Hogue, and others. Going up from there higher end production like Microtech, Heretic, Benchmade, Reate, Rike, or production models from custom Makers like Hindered, Begg or CRK have perfect fit and finish, the best design and materials, and often cool features or some artistic flair from inlays or patterned Damascus. Over that, you are paying for exclusivity and a peice of art.

If you have never owned a knife over $100, the usual suggestions under $200 typically are the Benchmade 940 or Bugout, Spyderco Para 2 or 3, Hogue Deka or RSK, We framelocks, or anything from Zero Tolerence. Once you carry one for a while you probably won't want anything less. Even if you get into $1K collectibles, you will still probably carry these $200ish production knives daily.
    This.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    +1 @ Alucard
    It's a bit like buying a pair of good shoes. you pay a bit more for high quality design, materials and construction... and it's well worth it

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

As to the rest of your post, my own preferences for knives are well known. The Spyderco Delica if you need a small blade, the Endura for a medium or the Paramilitary (or Police) if you need a larger one. I think your recommendations are all valid.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    20230610_102339.jpg
    20230610_102352.jpg

After giving it thought and carrying a variety of <2.5" knives, this is the correct answer. If it's under 2.5", its likely related to something like a government building or other non-permissive environment for bigger knives. A simple folding utility knife screams "tool" instead of "weapon", especially if it's in a bag with screwdrivers and such going in to the building. However, it is literally made for heavy work, so the handle is great for grabbing, it's easy to carry, the lock is strong, and the blade cuts well. You get the added bonus that they are cheap. You can buy them in a 3-pack if you want. That means if you get caught at a checkpoint that doesn't allow them, simply ditch it in the trash.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    View attachment 417380 View attachment 417381

After giving it thought and carrying a variety of <2.5" knives, this is the correct answer. If it's under 2.5", its likely related to something like a government building or other non-permissive environment for bigger knives. A simple folding utility knife screams "tool" instead of "weapon", especially if it's in a bag with screwdrivers and such going in to the building. However, it is literally made for heavy work, so the handle is great for grabbing, it's easy to carry, the lock is strong, and the blade cuts well. You get the added bonus that they are cheap. You can buy them in a 3-pack if you want. That means if you get caught at a checkpoint that doesn't allow them, simply ditch it in the trash.
    +1 Way less negative attention when you've got that in a tool bag than trying to appendix carry an Izula or pocket carry a spyderco. Plus far easier to work with than a 2.5" handle folder.

That is unless the size limit was for weight considerations, such as backpacking, in which case spyderco has some awesome offerings.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Best 2.5" or less knife that does not cost a fortune? Spyderco Lil'Native compression lock model. These are awesome. My absolute favorite small EDC knife. They are not cheap at $154, but I think they are a great price point for what you get.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And these lower cost alternatives are also good:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm not a Spyderco fanatic, though I do have a handful of their knives.

I just picked up one of their Karahawks, an early example, for $165 shipped. The blade is 2.3". It's pretty neat, and you can rig it to pop the blade open with your choice of presentations, either the traditional karambit bottom of the fist disemboweler, or opening in the more usual configuration, with your little finger in the loop, and the blade out front. The Emerson "wave" allows opening the knife as it comes out of your pocket; it's smooth and foolproof, with none of the hassles of an automatic knife.

Examination of the construction shows that it is a solid, well-conceived and well-executed mechanism. You get a full handful of grip, the finger ring ensures its retention, and the back lock mechanism is a thing of beauty. Even though it's generally not my favorite, I'm impressed by it.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'm not a Spyderco fanatic, though I do have a handful of their knives.

I just picked up one of their Karahawks, an early example, for $165 shipped. The blade is 2.3". It's pretty neat, and you can rig it to pop the blade open with your choice of presentations, either the traditional karambit bottom of the fist disemboweler, or opening in the more usual configuration, with your little finger in the loop, and the blade out front. The Emerson "wave" allows opening the knife as it comes out of your pocket; it's smooth and foolproof, with none of the hassles of an automatic knife.

Examination of the construction shows that it is a solid, well-conceived and well-executed mechanism. You get a full handful of grip, the finger ring ensures its retention, and the back lock mechanism is a thing of beauty. Even though it's generally not my favorite, I'm impressed by it.

I fondled a Spyderco Techno 2 at the knife shop in FRNX a couple of weeks back. I never liked it from the pics, but man that thing screams quality. Gonna grab one in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jumping back into this one. The biggest problem with knives with blades that short is the handles are short. I picked up one of these Amazon product ASIN B07HYWFGN8 since the blade is 2.41" long but has a mansized handle. I can be opened and closed one-handed. I just need a better sharpener for the curved blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom