• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah guys , in the first post the OP's stated goal is 2moa with good anmo, and the only bullets called out are mid 60's hunting bullets. Just about any bbl not blatently defective should do 2moa with good ammo. Lead core hunting bullets of similar weight are shorter length than hpbt match bullets . Those 65gr deer bullets will be fine with 1:9 .

And when you refer to a $ amount for upper, is that to also include bolt carrier group ? They are usually not included with "complete upper" . Clandestine approved BCG's start at around $99 .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks everyone! I'll check the other threads for suggestions. I am getting some good ideas and in part it sounds like since I probably won't be going high volume, coatings aren't really necessary and 1:9 could work, but 1:7 and 1:8 would be better.

Final question, front sight...are the A2 style front fixed sights removable? I assume it is, but I want to be sure as a lot of uppers seem to come with it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fixed front sights are indeed Fixed. Generally speaking that isn't a bad thing. A pinned FSB ( front sight base) is very secure on the bbl, allowing for no issues with alignment with the gas port. An optic at the proper height for eye alignment will be usable over the top of the front sight.

The possable issues are in installing a one piece free floating forend.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Fixed front sights are indeed Fixed. Generally speaking that isn't a bad thing. A pinned FSB ( front sight base) is very secure on the bbl, allowing for no issues with alignment with the gas port. An optic at the proper height for eye alignment will be usable over the top of the front sight.

The possable issues are in installing a one piece free floating forend.

There are FF rails that adapt to A2 style FSBs(also, A2 FSBs are held on by two taper pins and can be removed if you want to change your set-up later down the road)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I could be wrong but I would put that more on the BCM vs Remmy than the barrel material.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's a very good point - barrel twist means nothing if the manufacture of said barrel is half-ass; Remington AR's don't have the best reputation in the business. BCM is considered to be top shelf by many.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    WOA doesnt have the name of many but their following has continued to grow and they arent that much more expensive than some value brands.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Stainless steel also wears out quite a bit faster. All about tradeoffs.

Twist rate can make a big difference for hunting, especially varmints, depending on the load. Tightening up a group 1-2 inches can mean a dead varmint versus an injured varmint that gets away.

If the OP wants to shoot 55gr-65gr, 1-8 is the way to go. If he wants to shoot 62gr-77gr, 1-7 is the way to go.

While that is true on the face of it, the average bear would be hard pressed to wear out a stainless barrel. As for chrome lining, it's overrated IMHO, Melonite (nitro carburized) barrels are the future for AR barrels, and there's no question in my mind that non chromed barrels are more accurate, when was the last time you saw a bench rest shooter with a chrome lined barrel..?? I recognize that the accuracy difference for AR's isn't huge, but it's there nevertheless.

The twist rate info is good to go, however I would add that 1 in 9 twist is fine for 55 gr pills, and will usually stabilize 62 gr. as well without any problem. 1 in 8 is perhaps the most versatile because it's dead center of the spectrum.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    WOA doesnt have the name of many but their following has continued to grow and they arent that much more expensive than some value brands.

WOA has a huge following among the guys who shoot highpower service rifles across the course.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    WOA has a huge following among the guys who shoot highpower service rifles across the course.
    I know they are popular especially with highpower shootets but in general they aren't a household name. Great company great product and service but they arent Stag Colt DPMS but for similar prices they make a great product

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I know they are popular especially with highpower shootets but in general they aren't a household name. Great company great product and service but they arent Stag Colt DPMS but for similar prices they make a great product

I would rate them better than Stag, Colt or DPMS.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I know they are but they arent well known outside Highpower shooters. Their name is spreading but they are still a small player was my point.

If i have the coin they will continue to get my business for barrels and uppers.

Trust me we agree on their quality.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    YHM gas blocks? Since I may not have free float handguard, I was thinking YHM gas block with top rail on it to mount pop-up BUIS at some point. Thoughts? My concern with the A2 fixed front sight and gas block is mounting a scope high enough, which adds weight having stand off scope mount, which I really want to avoid.

Just circling back to Del-ton, a 16" upper, HBAR with YHM gas block with single rail on top and MOE SL M-lok handguard is just shy of $500. 20" when they have them seems to be only a few bucks more, but they don't have custom ones in stock right now. I'd of course rather come in closer to $400 or even less, but for a good quality one the way I want is probably better than a cheap one that I'll have to replace a bunch of stuff on later.

I am coming to accept a 16" upper and I'll either re-barrel it later to 20" (some year) or just get a 20" upper some year. Or hell, get a 20" upper and then a complete lower to go with it. You know, for spare parts or something. That is my story and I am sticking with it.

Next question are gas block distances the same dimension if the same type? IE is carbine length the same distance on all AR-15, same with mid and rifle?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My Stag 3GH 18" barrel is pretty damn accurate even with cheapo 55g Fed .223 from WM. If I can hit steel at 400 yards with the cheap stuff (1:8 twist) You really will not get anything out of a longer barrel. Longer barrels of the same profile have greater barrel whip and harmonics to overcome. The only 20" barrel I have was on an A2 upper in 6.8 SPC II I built. Stripped everything off but the receiver and barrel. Pretty accurate but I plan on upgrading it to the Wilson Combat Match Grade Recon Tactical 18" barrel sometime down the road.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    I have a stag arms 1:9 twist and have no problem with 50gr to 68gr. I'm handloading and had to work to find what worked for the 50gr but i got em pretty darn good.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I have killed prairie dogs out past 500 yards with 52 gr SMK in a 1-9 twist. It also shoots 77 gr SMK very well, which it is not supposed to do.

Good luck

Jerry

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have built plenty of ARs, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-12. My newest, and first 1-8(Mega) just might be my favorite, shoots everything well, 55gr and even flat base 50s shoot great, 69s and 77s too, all the faster and slower barrels favor one end of the spectrum or the other.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    While that is true on the face of it, the average bear would be hard pressed to wear out a stainless barrel. As for chrome lining, it's overrated IMHO, Melonite (nitro carburized) barrels are the future for AR barrels, and there's no question in my mind that non chromed barrels are more accurate, when was the last time you saw a bench rest shooter with a chrome lined barrel..?? I recognize that the accuracy difference for AR's isn't huge, but it's there nevertheless.

The twist rate info is good to go, however I would add that 1 in 9 twist is fine for 55 gr pills, and will usually stabilize 62 gr. as well without any problem. 1 in 8 is perhaps the most versatile because it's dead center of the spectrum.

I think this sums it up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Slowly collecting parts. I picked up a gen 3 magpul 20rnd when I was in PA last weekend and ordered a PSA classic LPK this morning since on sale and free shipping. I priced it out and it was about the same or a couple of bucks cheaper to have ordered that and get the magpul MOE OD green trip seperately later and for now I have a working grip. Still not sure on uppers and stuff, but I am looking at the Anderson 20" upper minus BCG and charging handle for about $260. Get a FF handguard later

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom