• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    Hey I am looking for an ar upper either in 5.56 or 7.62. I was looking for a spike or stag arms but not a dpms or bushmaster as I have heard bad things. What are your suggestions? I have looked all over and cant find anything in stock. I want to get one before the ban.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Can't go wrong with BCM. You're going to pay a little more but you're going to get an upper from one of higher regarded companies in the business. I'd recommend whatever company you choose to go with a 16" Mid-Length system. Carbine Gas systems are better served for short barrel builds.

PSA is also a good company like the above poster said. I will probably get my next upper from them as I would like to keep the cost of my next build down. PSA is no BCM but they're still good. Spikes and Stag are good as well and I also wouldn't hesitate in buying on of their uppers but again. They aren't as highly regarded as BCM.

Meatasaur

Feb 21, 2013
    Bad things

Hey I am looking for an ar upper either in 5.56 or 7.62. I was looking for a spike or stag arms but not a dpms or bushmaster as I have heard bad things. What are your suggestions? I have looked all over and cant find anything in stock. I want to get one before the ban.

I will be in the market for an upper soon and am wondering what "bad things" you've heard about the DPMS uppers?

toncapone1

Feb 12, 2013
    Maryland
    Can't go wrong with BCM. You're going to pay a little more but you're going to get an upper from one of higher regarded companies in the business. I'd recommend whatever company you choose to go with a 16" Mid-Length system. Carbine Gas systems are better served for short barrel builds.

PSA is also a good company like the above poster said. I will probably get my next upper from them as I would like to keep the cost of my next build down. PSA is no BCM but they're still good. Spikes and Stag are good as well and I also wouldn't hesitate in buying on of their uppers but again. They aren't as highly regarded as BCM.

+1 on BCM, I bought one of their 16 mid length uppers, cold hammer forged barrel with a 12" centurion arms C4 rail. Pricey...yes, but I don't know if you can do much better for the price point. Currently they have a number of uppers in stock and offer many configuration options. Fast shipping and an excellent, reliable proven product.

ziptiespec

It's sounds like you're looking for a complete upper, am I right? If not, Aero Precision has stripped uppers for less than $100. I want to build my own ARs (already bought one complete) so I'm buying everything separately. Aero stripped upper, Joe Bob's NiB BCG, still haven't decided on a barrel (probably 18" though), YHM free-float handguard, will all be going into the first one.

If you don't mind ordering over the web then keep an eye on slickguns.com for deals on either stripped or complete uppers. There was a great deal on a PSA 16" complete upper either last week or the week before. Also, I wouldn't rule out DPMS or Bushmaster for your build. They're not on the upper end of things (e.g., Noveske, Seekins, etc.) but they'll do fine for most people's use.

Oh, and you do know that uppers aren't regulated and won't be affected by the ban? I'm not sure what you mean by:

I want to get one before the ban.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    +1 on BCM, I bought one of their 16 mid length uppers, cold hammer forged barrel with a 12" centurion arms C4 rail. Pricey...yes, but I don't know if you can do much better for the price point. Currently they have a number of uppers in stock and offer many configuration options. Fast shipping and an excellent, reliable proven product.

Nice man. You have the same exact set up as I. Here is my BCM 16" Light Weight Middy with a Centurion Arms C4.

0f75aa1f-a709-44c5-b9e7-abc9679907b6_zps5559b7cd.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    The upper is not going to be illegal. It's just parts. So you'll gentile after the ban looking and receiving a upper. Just not the lower... The receiver will be illegal. So aslong as you already have an lower your good. I'm trying to find an upper myself but I have my eye on a few spots.

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    I bought mine recently from PSA. Mine shipped 2 weeks exactly after ordering. Doesn't come with a BCG or charging handle, but I picked those up elsewhere.

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013

What he said. BCM availability on 16" uppers has been good the last few times I checked (have not checked in a few weeks though).

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    I found a psa online with m16 BCG and charging handle. it is a 16 in 1 in 7 twist and .223 I may go for this the 7.62 are very hard to find. But I cant find any 20 rd mags for it only 30.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    WTG Tactical in White Plains has uppers. They will build you one also. Their phone number is 240 419 2861 or 410 982 3197. I don't know what they charge.

vballbach

Jan 16, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    I spent a little more for a stripped lower...Since that will be the thing that you can't get after the AWB.

I too went with the PSA carbine complete upper. They do have them in stock from time to time. Just need to keep an eye out.

Thinking about picking up another upper later down the road but no rush since you can get those after the AWB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom