• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I don’t understand everyone’s love affair with striker fired pistols.

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    I see it as a good choice for the environment they are routinely in, and favorable cost savings as well. Lighter weight, hammerless, slimmer design, and proven reliability.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don’t understand everyone’s love affair with striker fired pistols.

Consistent trigger press from shot to shot, less external stuff that can cause a malfunction, generally lower bore axis for reduced muzzle flip, faster lock time, passive safeties rather than manual...etc.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I wonder if in the CG, they have to tear down the weapon further and more often than other services?
    In other words, do they tear them down and pull apart the upper assembly as well periodically?
    And is that done by one of a few individuals per station/ship or the individual?

When I tear apart my salt water reels in the winter, I wonder how the salt/oil combo in a pistol/rifle comes into play for them.

I don't have a sig so I can't tell what advantages would be for one over the other for resisting salt water ingress and tear down/cleaning
    Once learning so, I find the Glock complete upper tear down pretty straight forward that I don't need to go back to youtube each time (unlike say a Ruger 22/44 where I have to do it each time)

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    My son is a gunners mate 3rd class (GM3) in the Coast Guard and he is happy with the choice. He says it's easy to learn, shoot well, and maintain; survives well in salt water; and if it goes overboard the USCG is only out about $300.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Happy to hear of that choice. I much prefer Glock over the P320 platform.

While we're on the subject of sidearm choice, i recently spoke to a friend of a friend who is an active duty Green Beret stationed at Ft Benning and he mentioned that many of them have been given Taurus 45acp polymer framed pistols. He wasn't fond of them. This is the first I have heard though, of Taurus making it's way anywhere in the US military. He couldn't recall the model. Anyone else heard of this?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They're cheap, safe, and easy to use... the fact that they don't have a custom 1911's trigger is basically irrelevant to the CG's mission.

Indeed

In other words, do they tear them down and pull apart the upper assembly as well periodically?
    And is that done by one of a few individuals per station/ship or the individual?

There will be Gunner's Mate on a cutter who do it. Small boat stations will likely have it handled by a trained Boatswain's Mate.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Pattern for the feds too. I know USSS is going this way too.

The complaint I'm hearing is that they didn't also push through the G17 because a lot of the people with big hands, i.e. adult men, are having trouble finding enough room on the 19's grip.

But, that would make too much sense.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    USCG

Uncle Sam’s Cheap Guys

Glock is a solid choice. SIG was a solid choice. Beretta was a solid choice. 1911s were a solid choice. I’ve no idea what preceded the 1911 in the CG.

If they’re decoupling from the Department, that’s not all bad.

GunnersMates, where they’re stationed, issue weapons for an OP or a mission then they’re returned to the armory. In the day, weapons were not assigned long term to a Coastie. Just short term duration. GMs did all the PMs and cleaning or other maintenance. Otherwise, there’s likely a weapons PO assigned to the smaller units. As stated.

A Glock is as good a tool for a Boarding Officer or team members as they might need. I’m guessing the teams are using the Glock too.

I wonder what CGIS is using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom