• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I've finally managed to get the first three (of four) volumes of the Springfield Research Service Serial Numbers of U.S Martial Arms series. I'll be glad to look up numbers as time permits. Just post the firearm type and serial number here.

EDIT:

• While there are some listings for WWII, and later, firearms, these research materials focus more on earlier firearms.
    • These records were largely gleaned from military and other reports housed in the National Archives. As such, only a small number of the many hundreds of thousand arms made were specifically mentioned in reports. Getting a hit in the SRS Research tables is sort of like striking gold.
    • Please post one request at a time, and space them out a bit.

Last edited:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    So what is this for?

It gives a little bit of service history of some types of US service weapons. Like wether it was issued to the Navy, Marines, etc. Sometimes it's much more specific info. There was a thread like this on the cmp forums. Very few people get hits but when they do it's pretty cool.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So for my 1911a1, M1 Garand and 1903a3?
    Or must it be a Springfield only?
    My Garand is the only Springfield

Jul 1, 2012
    It goes "way back" too... for instance, my Colt 1860 Army wasn't in there, but issue info for several S/N's right around it were.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Here are copies of the indexes for the first three volumes -- posted, of course, in compliance with the "fair use doctrine" of U.S. copyright laws for the purpose of illustration and education.

Attachments

• SRS_Vol_1_index.jpg
      SRS_Vol_1_index.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 532
    • SRS_Vol_2_index.jpg
      SRS_Vol_2_index.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 540
    • SRS_Vol_3_index.jpg
      SRS_Vol_3_index.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 525

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ok, I'll go
    I have Receipts or paperwork for everything
    1903a3 4768538
    M1 Garand 2228310
    1911a1 1483921
    M1 Carbine 766960

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    1903a3 4768538

The vast majority of the listings in the SRS manuals are for the original M1903 rifles. There are very few for the later "A" series firearms.

There were no hits for this specific rifle, and no listings close to this number.

Vol. 1 - shows this within the serial number range for a Smith-Corona M1903A4.
    Vol. 2 - same as above.
    Vol. 3 - shows this within the serial number range for a Smith-Corona, but now saying they were for the M1903A3.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting on the differences from Vol1/2 to Vol 3.
    My 1903a3 is a Smith Corona with a '43 barrel
    I'm picturing you looking up the numbers in the book :

Attachments

• carnac.jpg
      carnac.jpg
      9.5 KB · Views: 468

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    1911a1 1483921
    M1 Carbine 766960

1911a1 1483921

As with other firearms, these records tend to mention earlier models, since they were drawn from reports that contained details that WWII, and later, reports tended not to bother with.

Volumes 1 - 3 - Serial number falls into the 1943 range for Remington-Rand. There are no hits for this specific gun, nor are there serial number hits close to it. It's interesting, but not significant, that the serial number for this gun is bracketed (distant hits on either side) by firearms that were issued to the USAF. This doesn't mean that yours was, though.

No listings for M1 carbines. Sorry!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    those distant hits show other pistols issued to USAF later in post WWII era?
    There was no USAF in 43

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    those distant hits show other pistols issued to USAF later in post WWII era?
    There was no USAF in 43

Of course there wasn't. This info is not just the manufacturer's "ship to" data in all cases. It references any time that a record was made of a particular firearm -- regardless of the date. In this case, the indication is only an undated notation that certain guns were shipped to USAG National Guard units. No date is noted for the entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom