• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'd been thinking about creating this thread for awhile, and then a couple of comments in another thread made me decide that enough people might find it interesting to go ahead with it.

If you were a museum curator--someone who stood a chance of submitting a gun that was less than 50 years old to BATFE for consideration as a curio--what gun would you submit? What would be your rationale for why you think it really qualifies as a curio? Let's see some serious thought about these, OK?

I think that we can take two avenues on this. One is a particular make and model that you believe you could justify any gun of that type as being a curio. The other avenue would be one specific gun that you own, which you feel has unique qualifying features (even though others identical to it might not).

I'm going to start by posting a photo of a gun that I think legitimately deserves to be included as a C&R, even though it's not yet 50 years old. I'll provide my rationale later, but first I'm curious to see who will correctly identify it.

BTW ... I've blocked out the rather large amount of signage that appears on the left side of all of these.

Attachments

• Left_Side7.jpg
      Left_Side7.jpg
      36.9 KB · Views: 513
    Jul 1, 2012
    Not sure what your pistol is but it looks like a CZ75 and a Hi Power had a baby.

I'd like to see the Walther and especially Manurhin P4 / P-IV get classified C&R.
    Limited, short production, the Manurhin particularly significant (225 made) as a police-only issue,
    provided the last gasp of the P.38 lineage for all intents and purposes.

And a real, definitive classification of the post-war P-1 and P-38 (they aren't C&R unless > 50 yo despite people selling them as such).

It boggles my mind some of the stuff that did get signed off already.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    That's easy for me. Gen 1 Glock 17.

Without it, the modern handgun market wouldn't be like it currently is. The majority of the world's law enforcement agencies are using glocks or other polymer framed handguns today.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That's easy for me. Gen 1 Glock 17.

Without it, the modern handgun market wouldn't be like it currently is. The majority of the world's law enforcement agencies are using glocks or other polymer framed handguns today.

I'm gonna have to piggy back and say that most of the wonder 9's are coming up and need to be C&R.

G1 G17
    CZ75
    S&W M59
    Beretta92
    Sig226
    VP70

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I was going to say the same thing, but I would call it "that fugly Croatian thing they just can't sell." If they were C&R, they'd go quick. And I think it's legit as a curio-sity.

But the Glock 17 Gen 1 really is historically significant. But it's going to have to wait another 20 years.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The Polish P83 thread makes an excellent case for the pistol.

There are some very interesting HK pistols which seem to have ported over rifle technology into the handgun arena: roller-block delay for the P9S, and gas-retarded blowback in the P7 series. They're too scarce on the ground and too expensive to convey much benefit as C&R, though. I don't suppose "But I like them" is sufficient reason to satisfy the OP.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I would vote that the Sig P210 in its various forms should be granted C&R status. Granted several versions meet the 50 year rule, but I think they should all be open for C&R status.

It would be fine if the US current production 210 legend series are not included.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i think we've done this thread before, when discussing the cz-82.

the army ordnance museum used to have a beautiful display of the pistols from the army handgun trials before they moved from aberdeen. pretty much everything on that display board would be pure win

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My museum would have a section on Browning Hi Power clones.
    I would submit C&R apps for all those clones that came out (CZ, FEG, IMI etc)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    ASP and Devel conversions of S&W Model 39s and 59s. Extremely innovative, also very expensive on the collector's market. Perfectly legitimate C&R guns.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The only pistol I can think of that outta be completely C&R, but isn't (it depends on date of manufacture) is the Beretta 1951.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Another vote here for the P83 due to the way it is made.

Bulgarian Makarovs for the same reason a Polish or Romanian Tokarev count as C&R

FEG PA-63 for the alloy frame

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom