• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I think that we need a thread for interesting gun-related trivia, so I'll start:

We often see an imprinted mark, or crest, on a firearm. We call it a "cartouche," but nobody really seems to know why. After all, those with a background in French realize that "cartouche" literally means "cartridge" -- so what's up with a little symbol or picture on a gun being called a cartridge?

Here's the explanation ...

Napoleon revered and respected the ancient history of Egypt, so when he ventured into the Nile valley, he took with him not only an army of soldiers, but also scholars. He toured nearly all of the tombs and monuments then discovered, having his scholars and their assistants inventory the cultural resources found there.

On the walls of the tombs, and on monuments, the scholars noted peculiar symbols imprinted that became readily recognized as the names of various Pharaohs and others of royal rank. Each of these names was surrounded by an elongated oval shape that symbolized protection for the name. At one end (usually the bottom) was drawn a line perpendicular to the long sides of the oval. These marks were put there as notices to anyone who was considering doing mischief to know that the place and its contents were protected by the Pharaoh ... and that was an extremely stern warning!

The Egyptians referred to these symbols of protected names and places as shenu or shennu, but the French who accompanied Napoleon thought that they reminded them of gun cartridges, and referred to them as "cartouches." That name took hold, and eventually began to be applied to various symbols that might be imprinted on other items--including guns that actually fired "cartouches."

Attachments

• cartouche.jpg
      cartouche.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 360
    Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Machodoc where did you did this great bit if info?

I like to listen to some of the "Great Courses" series--especially if I'm going to be driving on a long trip. This was in the series about the great Pharaohs by Professor Bob Brier. It's one of the very best series of lectures that I've listened to so far.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/professors/bob-brier/

I did a little Google-Fu on the subject after I heard this, and came up with some confirmation and a few more bits of info.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    I like to listen to some of the "Great Courses" series--especially if I'm going to be driving on a long trip. This was in the series about the great Pharaohs by Professor Bob Brier. It's one of the very best series of lectures that I've listened to so far.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/professors/bob-brier/

I did a little Google-Fu on the subject after I heard this, and came up with some confirmation and a few more bits of info.

Thanks Machdoc! There are a LOT of interesting things there. Expensive though. I may need to save money for one or 2 of these.

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    Expensive, yes kinda'. But every item is on sale at least once a year, and by sale I'm talking about the 25% of full price range. So just like at Christmas I make my list, check it twice, then wait for the sale. And if you're getting an audio only course you can download it and save some more.

They have a very wide range of subjects and are always high quality. They were extremely helpful for a 5,500 mile in 12 days solo trip a couple of years ago.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    @ shooting again - I can see the value. And will look for the sales. Just pointing out the price when not in sale. The range of subjects is awesome! History and science and nature. All kinds of interesting things. You can't put a price on knowledge in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom