• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I just got back from the local USPS, where I purchased a MO for $100 and sent it off to Colt's archives department. In return, I hope to get a letter that gives me information about my Marina Argentina Colt 1911A1 ... with luck, to include the shipment date and destination, type of finish, etc.

This is a new process to me, and I thought that others might also be curious to see how it works, how long it takes to get a response, etc. That's why I'm starting this thread. The count-down is on.

As per instructions that I found on their website, I called and left my address on their voicemail. About 5 business days later, I got a packet from them that included a form to fill out (last page of a small booklet), along with a pretty good bibliography of resources for Colt firearms that they recommend.

I've sent them all the information they asked for, but also printed out photos of the parts of the gun where that info appears. That's probably overkill, but more info is better than not enough, right?

I also asked if they could tell me what the "M--11. 84" mark was about. I don't know if they'll respond to that, or not, but hopefully they will.

I'm not expecting to hear back from them before February, but maybe this is a slow season and I'll get lucky!

Jul 1, 2012
    There's a very high probability they'll have some sort of records for a 1920's pistol.
    Maybe not everything desired, but at least the shipping date, destination, and number of guns in the shipment.
    Sometimes destination is nothing more than "xx Arsenal" - info that can be found in Clawson and elsewhere.

The records for the early models (1900, 1902, 1905, semis, etc) are more sketchy and that's where your gamble will be.
    Also, there may be multiple shipping records of the same gun (i.e. it was on "loan account", returned, maybe rebuilt, and then sold again) and you'll only get one record in most cases.
    The SAA and earlier guns cost a lot more to letter and less probability of finding it.
    It's also a gamble that a particular gun might be something special (if it is, Colt's adds a surcharge so they get a piece of the action - since it'll add significant value to the gun).

This is an example of what Machodoc will get back. It's good stuff, with a embossed seal that doesn't show up in the scan.
    In this case the letter is worth it because it proves this 1905 was one of the 400 or so guns sent to the London office with a lanyard "staple" and modified grip (and verifies the British proof marks are correct for this gun).
    That almost doubles the value of the pistol. Same would go for one of the shoulder-stock pistols :)

Attachments

• Colt Letter - Redacted.jpg
      Colt Letter - Redacted.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 389
    • Colt Envelope.jpg
      Colt Envelope.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 393

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    You can send me 100 bucks to get you some info on your gun and if I don't find anything I will give you back 60. :)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    You can send me 100 bucks to get you some info on your gun and if I don't find anything I will give you back 60. :)

Thanks for the offer, but I think that the likelihood of Colt having records for this gun is stronger than you having them.

No ... it doesn't seem like a good idea when you think that they keep half the money for just trying, but their records on the early autos are apparently pretty complete. It's the real early stuff where it starts to become more of a crap shoot.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I'm not knocking Colt I am just trying to compete with them. :)
    I have a 1911 made in 1918. Would be nice to know its history.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I'm not knocking Colt I am just trying to compete with them. :)
    I have a 1911 made in 1918. Would be nice to know its history.

It would be nice if all of the manufacturers' records were at the Library of Congress, so we could do our own research.

excited to see what you get back. That sure is a interesting gun.

I'm interested, too, but I need to be patient. It sounds like it could take 8-12 weeks, or more, to get a reply from them.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I just got back from the local USPS, where I purchased a MO for $100 and sent it off to Colt's archives department. In return, I hope to get a letter that gives me information about my Marina Argentina Colt 1911A1 ... with luck, to include the shipment date and destination, type of finish, etc.

This is a new process to me, and I thought that others might also be curious to see how it works, how long it takes to get a response, etc. That's why I'm starting this thread. The count-down is on.

As per instructions that I found on their website, I called and left my address on their voicemail. About 5 business days later, I got a packet from them that included a form to fill out (last page of a small booklet), along with a pretty good bibliography of resources for Colt firearms that they recommend.

I've sent them all the information they asked for, but also printed out photos of the parts of the gun where that info appears. That's probably overkill, but more info is better than not enough, right?

I also asked if they could tell me what the "M--11. 84" mark was about. I don't know if they'll respond to that, or not, but hopefully they will.

I'm not expecting to hear back from them before February, but maybe this is a slow season and I'll get lucky!

Sounds like a cabbage patch kid birth certificate but, for your piece.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Sounds like a cabbage patch kid birth certificate but, for your piece.

Yeah ... kinda like that ... :rolleyes: but hopefully this one will have some facts that give a bit more about the background. Even if it verifies the year of manufacture and that it was one of 78 sold that year to the Argentine Navy, it will be worth it.

Maybe we should start a business selling "adoption papers" for C$R guns. Would that appeal to the wives' maternal instincts? :lol2:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    USPS tracking shows that the payment and request forms were delivered to Colt Archives on Dec. 13 (a Saturday), so someone should see them on Monday ... and they'll probably go into a stack of others for quite awhile.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm planning to send off for my letter.
    I have a 1929 Colt Police Positive that I want information on.
    I noticed that Colt has the ability to send this off all online now
    https://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Archive-Services/Archive-Letter-Online-Order-Form
    Here is the price list:
    http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/colt media/publications/Archive Properties 2014 Price List.pdf

Looks like my Police Positive is $75

BTW, results of Macodoc's Letter
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3681357&postcount=75

I had my 1918 Colt M1911 done. It was manufactured in August 1918 and delivered to Belishia Arsenal, California with 2000 other guns. It must have stayed with the US Cavalry in a dry climate because it has absolutely no rust. The officer to whom it was issued to kept meticulous care of it and hardly ever, if at all, fired it. Then when officers were issued sidearms, they kept them and paid for them out of their salary over several months. I think the total was about $12.00 which was a lot of money then. The price has gone up substantially! The original owner scratched his initials into the left grip in the lower diamond. I have yet to find his name.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I had my 1918 Colt M1911 done. It was manufactured in August 1918 and delivered to Belishia Arsenal, California with 2000 other guns. It must have stayed with the US Cavalry in a dry climate because it has absolutely no rust. The officer to whom it was issued to kept meticulous care of it and hardly ever, if at all, fired it. Then when officers were issued sidearms, they kept them and paid for them out of their salary over several months. I think the total was about $12.00 which was a lot of money then. The price has gone up substantially! The original owner scratched his initials into the left grip in the lower diamond. I have yet to find his name.
    Awesome! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom