• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    There were a couple more Navy contracts in the 30's and early 40's but still not many went down there total. Far more Army & Police guns!

Bottom line is that this is an interesting gun and in far better shape than most.

The Colt letter will probably just state the date of shipment, where it went, and how many were in the shipment, as well as type of finish. Special markings and such were very rarely recorded as far as I know, and usually that would be engraving.

As an aside, the Navy DGFM pistols (Marina de Guerra, Armada, etc) originally had the same "polished" black oxide as the Army and other guns. If there was some special cool matte black finish for the Navy I think they would have used that by then.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    There were a couple more Navy contracts in the 30's and early 40's but still not many went down there total. Far more Army & Police guns!

Bottom line is that this is an interesting gun and in far better shape than most.

The Colt letter will probably just state the date of shipment, where it went, and how many were in the shipment, as well as type of finish. Special markings and such were very rarely recorded as far as I know, and usually that would be engraving.

As an aside, the Navy DGFM pistols (Marina de Guerra, Armada, etc) originally had the same "polished" black oxide as the Army and other guns. If there was some special cool matte black finish for the Navy I think they would have used that by then.

And apparently some Colts went to the Argentine Navy in periodic orders before these, as well, but in very small numbers.

I've got a really nice Argentine Navy Ballester-Molina that's all original with the original finish. It's a polished black oxide. (It's so nice, in fact, that I just found an article on a gun magazine website that used a photo that I originally posted here as one of their illustrations ... and they are welcome to it.)

But I've seen a couple of different places where people have stated that the Argentine Navy parkerized most of their handguns. I don't know if that's based upon hard data, or if it's based in supposition because so many of the imported Argentine Colts and Sistemas are park'd. It's the interwebs, so there's seldom any citation given for the source of the information.

I do think, though, that this one was carried for a bit before it was exported back to the U.S., and after it was refinished, so I tend to believe that it wasn't refurb'd just for export.

My comments about "looking kewl" are based in a bit of personal knowledge. My late brother in law was an Argentine, and I know that even junior officers in the Navy had a bit of freedom to display some style and swagger ... and even more if you were a commander or captain. Even U.S. senior officers (Patton) used their sidearms to show a little individuality. I'm just saying that if a new process came out that looked especially "badass," and there was an enlisted man on the ship/base who could do that to a sidearm, it's well within the realm of possibility for officers to have their "show" guns done with that process.

Am I saying that's what was done? Nope ... just one of many possible bits of conjecture, but one of the more reasonable ones. I still haven't taken mine down yet, but from what I can see and feel, I'm not expecting to see much wear at all when I do. It's tight and stiff as a new 1911A1. A 90 year old gun that had been in the general pool of arms on a ship or naval base would show much more evidence of use than it does--and usually a whole lot more. It would seem that either this one got lost in a safe somewhere, or someone senior enough grabbed onto it and only strapped it on during occasions that merited showing off some military finery.

Sure wish this guy had on a sidearm!

Attachments

• Admiral_isaac_rojas.jpg
      Admiral_isaac_rojas.jpg
      89.1 KB · Views: 134
    Jul 1, 2012
    There's actually an "idiot guard" that someone makes (made?) out of thin plastic stock, it seats over the mag catch to free up your hand. It would be easy to duplicate that. But...

I use something to depress the plunger (either a paperclip with a real short hook bent into the end, or a jewelers screwdriver) and that helps tremendously :)
    You gotta be quick, steady and sure. Takes a little practice (try it on a beater first) but if you do it right the slide stop never comes near the frame (or side of the slide).
    If you're lucky the stop will pop in without any coaxing but so far I'm 0 for 100 on that one.

The paperclip is nice cause you can bend the other end to fit your fingers and there's less chance of an "oops". Maybe it's not very professional, but I get a lot of use out of paperclips...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I'm going to post a bunch of photos without many comments--I'll leave most of that for you.

I field stripped this gun carefully, but did want to go any farther than this right now so that I don't mar the finish on any pins, etc. I'm not an expert of the U.S. made Argentine Navy Colts, but everything that I've found so far looks right to me, based upon what I do know.

The barrel was blued inside and out, and the streaks that you'll see in the shot of the (uncleaned) bore are streaks in the bluing. This gun has been fired, but does not appear to me to have been fired much at all. There's very little wear showing.

I sure wish that it hadn't been refurbished! As good as the condition is, I am tending more and more to suspect that someone just wanted to have these guns with a black, no-glare, finish.

Attachments

• AA_Barrel_1.jpg
      AA_Barrel_1.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 112
    • AA_Barrel_2.jpg
      AA_Barrel_2.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 117
    • AA_Barrel_3.jpg
      AA_Barrel_3.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 113
    • AA_Barrel_4.jpg
      AA_Barrel_4.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 112
    • AA_Bore.jpg
      AA_Bore.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 116
    • AA_Butt.jpg
      AA_Butt.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 113
    • AA_Colt.jpg
      AA_Colt.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 113
    • AA_Hartford.jpg
      AA_Hartford.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 113
    • AA_Import_NHM.jpg
      AA_Import_NHM.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 117
    • AA_Lt_Side_Blk.jpg
      AA_Lt_Side_Blk.jpg
      121.1 KB · Views: 112

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    More photos ...

Attachments

• AA_M-11_Mark.jpg
      AA_M-11_Mark.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 111
    • AA_Mag.jpg
      AA_Mag.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 109
    • AA_Muzzle.jpg
      AA_Muzzle.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 110
    • AA_Rt_Side_Blk.jpg
      AA_Rt_Side_Blk.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 113
    • AA_Serial_2.jpg
      AA_Serial_2.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 111
    • AA_Slide_G_Mark.jpg
      AA_Slide_G_Mark.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 114
    • AA_Slide_G_Mark_2.jpg
      AA_Slide_G_Mark_2.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 116
    • AA_SLide_Rear.jpg
      AA_SLide_Rear.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 112
    • AA_Slide_Stop.jpg
      AA_Slide_Stop.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 111
    • AA_Spring.jpg
      AA_Spring.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 111

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Still more photos ...

Attachments

• AA_Spring3.jpg
      AA_Spring3.jpg
      81 KB · Views: 110
    • AA_Spring4.jpg
      AA_Spring4.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 115
    • AA_Trigger_Group_G.jpg
      AA_Trigger_Group_G.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 110
    • AA_Trigger_Group_G_2.jpg
      AA_Trigger_Group_G_2.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 108
    • AA_Trigger_Guard.jpg
      AA_Trigger_Guard.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 108

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I left out one of the most important photos, I'm told, so I pulled it down again (getting brave with a credit card to protect the gun) and removed the slide stop to see if the slide matches the frame.

Well ..... :innocent0 ..... :party29: ..... in spite of the refurb job that removed the original finish and left the gun matte black, this just doesn't appear to be a mixmaster. So far, the recoil spring guide is the only part I've found that looks like it might have come out of a gun that had been used a lot more.

Attachments

• AA_Slide_Serial_No.jpg
      AA_Slide_Serial_No.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 94

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Looks even better in higher res. Matching slide is the money shot. Keep all the parts as is. Don't replace anything. (Should go without saying to not shoot it. ;)) Congrats.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    With these new pics, I withdraw my original opinion. Looks like this could be a 1925 Commerical purchase. Originally, it would have been blued...must have been parkerized when it was refinished.

I'm going to poke around a few books tomorrow and see what I can find. Will post if I find anything useful.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom