• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LumenVR

Nov 2, 2018
    I love the G21 gen 4 , it has rapidly become my favorite pistol.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    I've been considering buying a 45 caliber handgun, after having owned a 9mm, Walther PPQ, and was wondering if anyone had 45 guns they really like. I'm trying to do my due diligence and research the available options, before committing to a buy. Ideally I will try to rent/borrow all the handguns I'm considering, so I get a sense for how they shoot.

So far I've had the opportunity to try out a USP 45, which I was surprisingly a little disappointed with, as the gun did not run as smooth as I expecting. People online put the USP 45 at god tier levels of good, but the gun I shot had extremely harsh recoil and shot very low. This could be due to the particular pistol being a well used rental, but still not a great first impression given the reputation the USP has. I'll want to try it out at another range before writing it off.

I've also tried the FNX-45, which is my definite favorite so far. Very smooth shooting and accurate. If I were to make my decision based on just my experiences with USP and FNX, I would go with FNX.

That being said, I was curious if there are other guns anyone thinks I should look into and try out? I'm generally looking for 45's like the USP or FNX, modern double stack handguns, but I don't have a preference for hammer fired vs striker. I've heard good things about the P320 in 45 as well as the PPQ in 45, so those are on my list to try next.
    https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/metro-arms-introduces-mac-3011-ssd-pistol/

14 + 1 capacity is why I bought mine.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This thread has been haunting me. Bad timing on the market to try to do something about it, of course. But! Found a 97B in stock at a very good price, and it arrives in 7 day Maryland jail nearly next week. Dozens of dealers had no inventory so I was tickled to find one at pre-COVID-ish pricing. Now ... extra mags? Fuggetaboutit, apparently. That’s going to take a lot more digging.

Still, that warning I got about acute, chronic CZ-itis was prophetic. Another one joins the family.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    This thread has been haunting me. Bad timing on the market to try to do something about it, of course. But! Found a 97B in stock at a very good price, and it arrives in 7 day Maryland jail nearly next week. Dozens of dealers had no inventory so I was tickled to find one at pre-COVID-ish pricing. Now ... extra mags? Fuggetaboutit, apparently. That’s going to take a lot more digging.

Still, that warning I got about acute, chronic CZ-itis was prophetic. Another one joins the family.

Hope you have big hands. BBP/MD Elite firearms had a 97BD in stock a while back so I went to check it out. Wanted to fall in love with it since I'm crazy about the CZ's I have, but it was too big for me to handle properly.

I wear size large glove, but I had to reach to get the tip of my finger on the trigger for the first shot (DA mode). When cocked it was much more reachable. Had to shift the pistol in my grip to even reach the mag release. Reluctantly passed on the purchase.

On the plus side for your mag search, they are 10 rounders so you should be able to order them from anyone who has then in stock.

This guy is a good source if he ever gets them in... I ordered some stuff from him prior to 2013. He used to be located in MD.
    https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-fac...nfoglio-10-rd-45-acp-mgwit45lfafc-p-1093.html

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hope you have big hands. BBP/MD Elite firearms had a 97BD in stock a while back so I went to check it out. Wanted to fall in love with it since I'm crazy about the CZ's I have, but it was too big for me to handle properly.

I wear size large glove, but I had to reach to get the tip of my finger on the trigger for the first shot (DA mode). When cocked it was much more reachable. Had to shift the pistol in my grip to even reach the mag release. Reluctantly passed on the purchase.

On the plus side for your mag search, they are 10 rounders so you should be able to order them from anyone who has then in stock.

This guy is a good source if he ever gets them in... I ordered some stuff from him prior to 2013. He used to be located in MD.
    https://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-fac...nfoglio-10-rd-45-acp-mgwit45lfafc-p-1093.html

Thanks for the mag source, will check it out.

On size: yeah, I have surgically transplanted orangutan hands so I’m all set! If it helps, for perspective, my Shadow 2 feels about like it could use a bigger grip than it has. I don’t expect Mrs. Occam is going to like the 97 unless it’s in cocked/locked mode. But then, that’s how she shoots her CZ75, so who knows! We’ll see in ten days or so.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    H&K USP Match. Love it. Barrel extends to the end of the compensator.

Attachments

• 012C831A-079B-4AA8-A3F8-2EE72F7D573C.jpg
      012C831A-079B-4AA8-A3F8-2EE72F7D573C.jpg
      92 KB · Views: 354
    It really depends what you want to do with it. If you are looking for a End of the World or Outdoor gun I'd go with the Glock. It is super reliable and easy to maintain and shoot. If you are looking for competition gun or a range gun my Springfield XDM 45 and my Springfield TRP Operator 1911 are both scary accurate and I would highly recommend both.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    S&W Model 625 Jerry Miculek (OP just said 45 ACP so make a deal, spin the wheel)

First 1911

Ruger SR1911
    Sig 1911 (Yes, 1911s may have external extractors)
    SW1911 E
    Colt Series 80 or 1991A1 "O" Series
    Rock Island
    MAC

DA/SA

Ruger P90
    Sig 220 (You can get a SAO model)
    CZ-97
    FNX 45 (Spiritual DNA from the BHP)

Striker

G21 SF
    M&P 45
    Ruger American or late model SR45

Now, I'll return you to the regular scheduled MDS geehaw

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County

The SR45 (and the SR series) area way under appreciated handgun imo. While it does not have the aftermarket support that Glocks ect have, mine has been 100% reliable, decently accurate and the trigger is pretty good once you remove the mag safety and get some rounds through it. And for a 10rd mag in a .45 the grip is still slim.

I bought mine a year or 2 ago when they were getting discontinued and buds was blowing them out cheap, I think I paid something like $275. I thought I read recently Ruger brought the series back as an exclusive for a distributor.

Can't speak for the American series, but they look pretty nice.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    S&W Model 625 Jerry Miculek (OP just said 45 ACP so make a deal, spin the wheel)

First 1911

Ruger SR1911
    SW1911 E
    Rock Island
    MAC

DA/SA

Ruger P90
    CZ-97

Striker

G21 SF
    M&P 45

What, No love for a Springfield Armory 1911?

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member

First 1911

Ruger SR1911
    SW1911 E
    Rock Island
    MAC

DA/SA

Ruger KP90
    CZ-97

Striker

Glock G21 SF
    M&P 45

I have two of the ones you listed above and both have performed flawlessly.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    What, No love for a Springfield Armory 1911?

I loved one back in 86 when SA just statrted to get the 1911A1 to market. In fact, I had a low 5 digit SN that I still regret selling.

I have not shot one since so I couldn't recommend SA. Same for Kimber, the last one I shot was produced in Oregon. Never shot a NY Kimber.

The others, I have either owned or shot so i went all IMHO on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom