• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    My dad has a friend who sent him these pics, apparently the rifle appears to be a .22 but has no markings apparent. Found under an elderly grandmother's bed. He's asked my help so I'm asking y'all :D

Any ideas or hints as to make/model/anything?

Attachments

• 20170204_103912.jpg
      20170204_103912.jpg
      118.3 KB · Views: 296
    • 20170204_103922.jpg
      20170204_103922.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 290
    • 20170204_104018.jpg
      20170204_104018.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 291

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    $2 dolla make ya holla:lol2: OK not that that is aside.
    No feet was a plus!

Please ask him to look at it closer, I suspect there are some markings somewhere on it. Don't expect a serial number but should be something.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Looks like a 1890 Winchester in pretty good shape , the rear sight is on backwards though.

It should say Winchester on the tang holding the stock on and the caliber should be on the left side of the barrel . They are .22 but only fire one or the other of S-L-LR.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    And as for naming it, I'll go with "Bob."

Thanks, Bill, I'm honored.

I have fond memories of shooting something similar as a kid in an amusement park shooting gallery. It's sad that no one born in the last 30 years or so will have such memories or experiences.

Can you imagine the anguish, the fainting mothers, the grandstanding politicians, the outraged media, if they stumbled onto something like that, today?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It's puzzling as to why it's not marked. I've got one like it (more of a parts gun), but mine's clearly marked. I haven't looked at mine in awhile, but I think the markings are on the top of the barrel. (Yeah ... those sights are on backwards.)

Those have gotten to be pretty pricey, as someone else noted. I got mine from a guy who had pulled it apart, but said it was all there ... and it wasn't.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It's puzzling as to why it's not marked. I've got one like it (more of a parts gun), but mine's clearly marked. I haven't looked at mine in awhile, but I think the markings are on the top of the barrel. (Yeah ... those sights are on backwards.)

Those have gotten to be pretty pricey, as someone else noted. I got mine from a guy who had pulled it apart, but said it was all there ... and it wasn't.

From the link in my above post.
    Should you have a shooter-grade gun that has seen better days, shoot it some more. They make absolutely great plinkers. Wisners in Chehalis, Washington makes new internal replacement parts for 1890/1906/62 Winchester pumps so you are not completely up the creek if you have one that doesn’t go pop anymore. If you have a Model 62 in any condition, it may be a good idea to stock up on these spares while you still can.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    A shooter or plinker may have just turned the sight around to blot out the target ala red rider style for instinct shooting. 22 accuracy was not what it is today and the WRF long was a newish cartridge around the time of manufacture and is still in development today. The rifle was capable of way more accuracy than what was available for ammo in its day. A corroded or out of spec chamber may lead to a case split so wear safety glasses when you shoot it. Awesome rifle have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom