Attachments

• IM002720.jpg
      IM002720.jpg
      195.2 KB · Views: 375

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    That may be the case. I've seen some large coyotes in the area but not a pack.

I know wolves hunt in packs but, I am under the impression coyotes rarely if ever do (exception mother and yearling litter mates, etc.). Is that correct?

I don’t read that you are saying coyotes do hunt in packs but, I am asking out of my own curiosity. This question comes up time and time again in my neighborhood; I have neighbors who think coyotes (and even foxes) hunt in packs and I know fox do not and am pretty sure coyotes do not either ... (no wolves anywhere near us, btw)

You got a heckuva mystery on your hands !

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    As picked clean as that carcass is, you can tell that scavengers have been after it, especially if the various body parts are scattered. The large cleared "scuffle" area is more than likely created by various scavenging predators fighting over the choice bits. Coyotes will fight each other and smaller animals to get their share.

Bears and wolves usually don't pick something that clean and wolves will often drag parts and bury them to come back to later. My guess is either mountain lion if it is a big predator, or other death with scavenging.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    As picked clean as that carcass is, you can tell that scavengers have been after it, especially if the various body parts are scattered. The large cleared "scuffle" area is more than likely created by various scavenging predators fighting over the choice bits. Coyotes will fight each other and smaller animals to get their share.

Bears and wolves usually don't pick something that clean and wolves will often drag parts and bury them to come back to later. My guess is either mountain lion if it is a big predator, or other death with scavenging.

Could be both.

I've seen coyotes on either side of that section of woodland in the past couple of years.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Question regarding your title.

Has there been one or more before?

The year after I first moved back to the area I was shed hunting and saw spots where deer had been killed all over the place. There were spots with deer hair but not a lot of bones. I think that was definitely a cougar. It probably drug the kill elsewhere and buried it after it had eaten it's fill.

Wish it would've preyed on all the coyotes we have now. :)

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Im in the middle of Lexington Park and have coyotes all over. Shot about 10 or 12 this year. But I ran across this track the other day. I know its canine, but have no clue what it could be other than a huge dog. But the tracks come and go thru thick brush.

Attachments

• big paw print.jpg
      big paw print.jpg
      174.7 KB · Views: 271

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads