• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I am hoping you guys can help me with a few things. I recently moved into a new house in Kingsville. This is my first time one well and I have a few questions regarding water treatment or filtration and if it necessary. My wife claims that the water has a metallic taste but I think it is fine as is. My major concern is with the copper piping and potential deterioration. The house was built in 1971 and does not currently have a neutralizer installed or any filters that I am aware of.

During the inspection, a recommendation was made to add the following - Advanced Electronic Neutralizer 1495.00 installed with lifetime warranty.

Here are our results;

PH = 6.2
    Bacteria, Coliform, Total, MPN = <1.0
    Bacteria, E. coli, MPN = <1.0
    Nitrate = 3.11
    Turbidity = 1.06
    Lead = .0043

Can you guys school me on what necessary changes I should make?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have well water, too. One of the major concerns is the higher concentration of dissolved minerals in the water than city water. These include sulfur, calcium, iron, and some others that I can't remember right now. They won't just damage pipes, but will stain bathroom porcelain and shorten the life of all faucets and your water heater. I'd also recommend a particulate filter. You might be amazed at how much crap you'll see collected.

Not familiar with the product you mentioned, but you'll probably need something. Maybe get a second opinion. But there's a great chance that you'll benefit from something treating your well water before it gets circulated through the house.

FWIW, I use a salt crystal softener and a chlorinator. And a particulate filter.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Your pH (slightly acidic) is normal for MD's red clay soil, as is the slight metallic taste. The taste should go away if you let the water run for 10-20 seconds before you drink or cook with it. Regardless, it's naturally-mineralized water and good for you.

Most neutralizers use lime. Lime that leaves rock-hard calcium deposits on every faucet in the house, which can be a PITA to constantly clean off.

IMO, the stains (with no neutralizer) are easier to deal with than non-stop calcium buildup. I have a self-cleaning, full-house neutralizer. I stopped using it (put it in bypass mode) when I got tired of spending hours every few months cleaning off calcium.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Your pH (slightly acidic) is normal for MD's red clay soil, as is the slight metallic taste. The taste should go away if you let the water run for 10-20 seconds before you drink or cook with it. Regardless, it's naturally-mineralized water and good for you.

Most neutralizers use lime. Lime that leaves rock-hard calcium deposits on every faucet in the house, which can be a PITA to constantly clean off.

Given our numbers should there be any concern or any real need to add a neutralizer?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Only for the copper pipes. The acidity will eventually destroy them. Are you sure your house has copper pipes, not PVC? Seems weird for a new house.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    If it really bothers your wife, you could save your self $1,460 and get your self a faucet mounted pur filter. But on my well I do use a particle filter. They are really cheap and easy to install.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    EPA water regs here;
    http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/...ackDesc=Results page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=3

Looks like you're OK. pH may be an issue over time, may get pin holes in the copper pipes.

I don't think I would do anything except maybe a faucet filter for the wife. Could have a broader water test done to appease the wife if you need to do so. I would make sure that there isn't a system anywhere in the house, that can cause issues if not taken care of. Any system you put in will have ongoing costs/maintenance and may create other issues as it treats the water, another reason to leave it alone.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Id like to see a regular water sample that includes hardness and TDS.

I just did a complete system in my hose for a literal fraction of what any of the bigger companies get.

I go through 2250 gallons before it back flushes, way over sized for my house/use, but, wanted to make sure I did it right the first time.

Put it this way, I had less than a $900 bucks into a 44K grain softener, "big blue" pre-filter (with 2 filters) and all the shit to hook it up.

some much cheaper neutralizer options - they will also test your water and make a recommendation, awesome customer service.

http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=212

THIS!!! The project should cost you ~$600 and a few hours with basic plumbing skills.
    Your water looks good other than the pH. A neutralizer will fix that quite easily with straight calcite. (You should get iron and hardness tested too)
    Your pH is not too low, so you won't likely have issues with hard water stains (lower the pH, the more calcite or magOx is dissolved to bring it back up)
    Stay away from the commercial water treatment companies- they get rich off of people who don't understand what is going on.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Well water and copper pipes... Find your main shut off valve n make sure it works cuz if you don't know how to yet you WILL learn how to sweat a joint.
    That or pay out the nose for a plumber to do it for you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am lucky, no issues with acidity, I have enough lime in the water to share with ALL of you.

:D

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I appreciate all of the replies. I was hoping that 6.5 was not enough to kill my pipes but I guess it is going to happen. I will look at some options and hopefully find a respected source to assist with install. I could likely do it and have done some plumbing before but I just dont have a lot of time and would like to make sure it is done right. I have enough projects to tackle with the house as it is.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    6.5 is not bad.

pH 7 is neutral.

Milk runs pH 6 - 7

Rain is more acidic.

Attachments

• phdiagram.gif
      phdiagram.gif
      14.1 KB · Views: 211

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Only for the copper pipes. The acidity will eventually destroy them. Are you sure your house has copper pipes, not PVC? Seems weird for a new house.

I have an acid neutralizer that I doubt was more than $500 installed. It is a simple flow through system using limestone gravel. IIRC by base PH was about 6.2 as well and it brings it to about 6.8. You don't necessarily NEED to treat it if it is below 6, but it isn't a bad idea. It'll dissolve copper over time and you'll get about 3x the pipe life at a PH of 6.8 than at 6.5. Which might mean 300 years instead of 100 if left untreated. It is once you get to 6 or below you really need it. That is when pipe life is going to start being measured in decades and then only a few of those. Get in to the mid or low 5's and you are talking less than a decade left untreated (you pretty much can't treat water below a PH of 5).

I love my well water treated or untreated, but I will say it is a little nicer brewing dark beers with it when I have the acid neutralizer filled (I am a little lax on getting it refilled. Mine lasts about 24 months before it needs 2.5 bags of crushed limestone to refill the tank). Course I can add baking soda to the mash, but it doesn't deliver as good a result IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom