• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    If you are exempt, then you are also exempt from the range qualification so there is no reason for an instructor to be involved.

This gets more confusing by the minute. I thought the exemption in question pertains to classroom training, but range time was still required.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Who gives a ****? This only pertains to the training requirement if you have a good and substantial reason to live, in the state's eyes, once confronted by some violent thug scumbag or mental case with the means and desire to kill you for whatever reason. It doesn't apply to the other 99.99 percent of residents of this state.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I just checked the MSP site and it still says 2 years.

The original question was how long the training certificate was good for. My answer of one year is correct. Read the MSP site carefully, it can be very confusing. The two years is in regard to renewal.

"Training is valid until the permit expiration. However, you must receive subsequent training within 2 years of submitting your renewal application."

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    FYI. Unfortunately it's 90 business days, not 90 days. See you have a little longer to go.

I got mine exactly 90 business days from the application. And that was a renewal.

I was told during the interview that they "try" to get them out in 90 days (not business days). He also told me priority was given to security guards and if there was an influx of security applications it could take longer.

I received mine last Saturday, which was about a week shy of 90 days.

Edit: The application does in fact say 90 "business days". They did tell me 90 total days in person however.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Not to troll, but if you do meet the requirements the mdsp are okay response time. For me after filing the paper work, i did have to remind them but after that got the interview and then it just came in the mail. No paper no note just the permit. Hopefully they ll be pretty good again. Long as you meet the requirements they are willing to issue permits.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    The original question was how long the training certificate was good for. My answer of one year is correct. Read the MSP site carefully, it can be very confusing. The two years is in regard to renewal.

"Training is valid until the permit expiration. However, you must receive subsequent training within 2 years of submitting your renewal application."
    Wrong again. It pertains to both initial and renewal applications. Read carefully.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    The requirements to be able to defend yourself? Must be nice to be so special that you meet the requirements to be able to defend yourselves. Bet you feel special, too.

We're all in the same boat here. Your repeated posts of "special" come across as condescending. I firmly believe in "shall issue". It just so happens that my line of work allows me to qualify, so I took advantage of it.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Is there anything you won't argue about?

I'm not arguing. I'm just attempting to stop the proliferation of bad information.
    Maybe if you read COMAR you will find that your ARGUMENT has no basis in fact.

Here is the section on initial applications. Check line "B, (2). DAMN! It says 2 years.

.04 Application.

A. The handgun permit application shall be submitted in the format prescribed by the Secretary.

B. The permit application shall include:

(1) The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license or photographic identification soundex number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, sex, eye and hair color, occupation, and home and work telephone numbers;

(2) Proof of the applicant’s completion of, or exemption from, a Handgun Permit Training Course with at least 16 hours of instruction within the previous 2 years, in the manner prescribed by the Secretary on the permit application;

(3) A complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints, taken and submitted in the manner prescribed by the Secretary on the application;

(4) Authorization by the applicant to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or department of another state, to disclose to the Department of State Police information as to whether the applicant:

(a) Suffers from a mental disorder and has a history of violent behavior;

(b) Has been voluntarily admitted for more than 30 consecutive days to a mental health facility or an institution that provides treatment or services for individuals with mental disorders; or

(c) Has been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility or an institution that provides treatment or services for individuals with mental disorders; and

(5) A declaration by the applicant, under the penalty of perjury, that the applicant is not prohibited under federal or State law from possessing a handgun; and

(6) A declaration by the applicant, under the penalty of perjury, that all information in the application is true and accurate.

C. Except as provided in §D of this regulation, the application must be accompanied by a nonrefundable payment of $75.

D. The Secretary shall not charge a fee to:

(1) A State, county, or municipal public safety employee who is required to carry, wear, or transport a handgun as a condition of governmental employment; or

(2) A retired law enforcement officer of the State or a county or municipal corporation of the State.

E. A handgun permit expires on the last day of the holder’s birth month following 2 years from the date of issuance.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I'm not arguing. I'm just attempting to stop the proliferation of bad information. Maybe if you read COMAR you will find that your ARGUMENT has no basis in fact. Here is the section on initial applications. Check line "B, (2). DAMN! It says 2 years. 29.03.02.04 .04 Application. A. The handgun permit application shall be submitted in the format prescribed by the Secretary. B. The permit application shall include: (1) The applicant’s name, address, driver’s license or photographic identification soundex number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, sex, eye and hair color, occupation, and home and work telephone numbers; (2) Proof of the applicant’s completion of, or exemption from, a Handgun Permit Training Course with at least 16 hours of instruction within the previous 2 years, in the manner prescribed by the Secretary on the permit application; (3) A complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints, taken and submitted in the manner prescribed by the Secretary on the application; (4) Authorization by the applicant to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any other similar agency or department of another state, to disclose to the Department of State Police information as to whether the applicant: (a) Suffers from a mental disorder and has a history of violent behavior; (b) Has been voluntarily admitted for more than 30 consecutive days to a mental health facility or an institution that provides treatment or services for individuals with mental disorders; or (c) Has been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility or an institution that provides treatment or services for individuals with mental disorders; and (5) A declaration by the applicant, under the penalty of perjury, that the applicant is not prohibited under federal or State law from possessing a handgun; and (6) A declaration by the applicant, under the penalty of perjury, that all information in the application is true and accurate. C. Except as provided in §D of this regulation, the application must be accompanied by a nonrefundable payment of $75. D. The Secretary shall not charge a fee to: (1) A State, county, or municipal public safety employee who is required to carry, wear, or transport a handgun as a condition of governmental employment; or (2) A retired law enforcement officer of the State or a county or municipal corporation of the State. E. A handgun permit expires on the last day of the holder’s birth month following 2 years from the date of issuance.

Just pulled from their site.

6. As of October 1, 2013, has successfully completed the Maryland State Police approved firearms training course within 1 year prior to submitting the original or renewal application.

If it says 2 years in COMAR, then it's 2 years

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    you must be "special"
    at least I'm sure you feel that way

Why all the :sarcasm: ? Surely you don't think MD is better off if people with G&S don't get permits in protest of our BS gun laws? NONE of us agree with G&S, that is a given. That being said I harbor no ill will toward anyone who can get a permit under the extremely restrictive conditions in this state. The more people carrying lawfully the safer the streets are for all of us. I am not for adding more special classes of folks though. Instead, I will gladly assist anyone who wants to start a business apply for a permit. Maybe MD can actually find a way to encourage entrepreneurship among this great MD 2A crowd.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Just pulled from their site.

6. As of October 1, 2013, has successfully completed the Maryland State Police approved firearms training course within 1 year prior to submitting the original or renewal application.

If it says 2 years in COMAR, then it's 2 years
    Can you link me to that specific page? The page under "training" at one time said 1 year which was in conflict with COMAR. I was able to have that corrected and it still says 2 years, so if there is another page with it listed as 1 year we'll have to work on getting that corrected also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom