• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I like that PMA tool. Had never heard of them. I have a 21st century that I run on my mini lathe and it does an awesome job. Had a bunch of 17 fireball made from 5.56 and the necks were .017". Turned them down pretty quick

Not trying to take this thread in a different direction or make a plug for anything just relating my experience. Having used both the 21st century and the PMA neck turners my experience has been the PMA is easier to set up with it's mandrel adjuster as opposed to the 21st's cutter adjuster. I usually set my initial neck thickness with a feeler gauge and then trial turn and measure. My 21st has what I consider to be a good bit of lash in the adjuster screw mechanism so for me it's tedious and sometimes a bit frustrating when I try to make a fine adjustment . My PMA is much better in this regard. So I have set my 21st at the thickness I want for one particular case and have locked it down and I leave it alone. I basically use it for one caliber/case. The PMA I use for other brass cases I neck turn.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I would cast the chamber and or the die your using and start from there. Also the bullet that has been selected will be the most precision made component of the finished ammo but a good average with a micrometer might help, A three hundred Sammi chamber and cartridge drawing indicate a pretty close fit everything being equal and in a perfect world. I have attached an image of a chamber cast made for a case with a slightly more generous neck drawing. (3006) You can see where a poorly ground neck reamer began to enlarge the throat. It's the ring right before the leade. A 300wm has a short neck to begin with, reaming it to a larger diameter with the wrong tooling could further reduce the additional support for how the bullet enters the bore and also affect the degree to which the most precision part of the cartridge (the bullet) is swedged before completely entering the bore if your not careful.
    Just a few thoughts is all good luck.
    IMG_1062.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom