• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Live in Hagerstown, hunt in Fairplay and Boonsboro. Let me know if you'd like a few mds locals to come provide perimeter defense :-)

LegacyManor

Mar 29, 2014
    Fairplay, MD
    The dogs are doing their job very well with the stock they are in charge of. The problem is that the cows do not want the dogs near them and more so now with the killings. I just lost my 6th calf Wed night.

Also the cattle are spread out over many acres so even getting a donkey may not work as it could not be with all the cattle all the time

Actually when my horse was alive she stood guard over mom while she was calving. The cow was not exactly happy but tolerated it but the when the horse started to try and claim the calves as hers and would run the moms off I had to move the horse to her own pasture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Well for what it is costing you it might be worth getting morevthen 1 donkey. I look at my.livestock as an investment so buying a few donkeys to protect them is simply protecting your investment.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I hunted coyote at night once, a clear recording of a rabbit in distress will make them come right up to you if they aren't down wind. You can use a red spotlight to see them, apparently coyotes can't see red lights. Good luck!

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I hunted coyote at night once, a clear recording of a rabbit in distress will make them come right up to you if they aren't down wind. You can use a red spotlight to see them, apparently coyotes can't see red lights. Good luck!

:thumbsup:

During spring, I'll bet these particular coyotes are attracted to the smell and sound of newborn calves.

Bag afterbirth to use as bait? Barf.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If night hunting was still in this would be cake. These don't move as much in daylight

DNR is really being stupid not getting a night including 24/7/365 coyote season statewide. Otherwise one has to get a wildlife control cooperator lisc which is now 50.00 a year and requires a test even I would have trouble passing. I helped another guy with the open book questions and he told me he barely passed. Bunch of trick questions on it. I did some more research and might score better if I took it. But when a test makes even a genius like myself shake her head, then it is too hard for everyone else. And I was totally obsessed with the subject matter of fur trapping to boot. But the test has questions on geese, bats, birds, snakes etc. The guy I helped also had MANY years of fur trapping experience, but was lost on the bat and bird stuff. Neither of us had any interest in bats, birds, snakes, etc nuisance control. Though he does trap snapping turtles in PA.

A landowner can get a landowner nuisance lisc, but not sure it allows for a stranger to come in and work off of it. Otherwise everyone has to adhere to the daylight only hunting outside of the fall/winter season.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    My parents neighbors in WV have donkeys because of the yotes. Apparently they are effective against them. They will stomp the crap out of them. Another note i did not know coyotes will not eat meat they dont kill? I thought they would eat dead stuff but i guess not. That makes it tricky for hunting them. Its not like you can bait for them.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    There is a guy outside of Sharpsburg who sells and raises Donkeys. His name is Art, and I can get you his full name and phone if you want. My friend's son in Sharpsburg bought several Donkleys for his farm in WV from Art (wish I could remember his last name). Art has a place right off the Sharpsburg Pike.

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    I have seen coyotes eat kills that I know they didn't kill (because I was the one that shot the hog and left it there). I use calls and they are hard to hunt but I have had good luck. just need wind, the place, and the right tools....owe and a lot of patience. I help a few farmers out and I run suppressors so I dont upset their livestock. Poultry farms take the hardest hits. Often I text the owners the next day and I get "oh I didn't think you made it out". Last stand I made last week I shot a fox out of a farmers backyard (it was a clear and safe shot)....I love suppressors

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom