• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -This year's MACA show was an exercise in restraint. Having just paid Uncle Sam and putting aside even more for the county real estate taxes I wasn't in a position to do otherwise.
    -Found two small items to keep the bargain hunter in me happy. The first is this Japanese rubberized canvas T14 holster. This is the next to last variant, Type IX, with canvas body, clamshell and spare striker pouch. Looking at the interior of the body I'd swag that it was unissued. Probably a souvenir pulled from a Japanese arsenal in Occupied Japan by a GI.
    -The sales tag was originally marked @ $275 which is around market value for one of these in excellent condition. When I found it midday on Sunday the price had been dropped to $175. I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger at this super bargain price. The only downside was that the body bulged in at the rear. But I wasn't fazed because I knew a trick to soften the rubberized canvas and get the bulge out.
    -Out came the handy heat gun and I worked the offending bulge for approx 5 minutes. The heat temporarily softens the hard resin and I was able to slide a T14 and plastic wedge in to push the body back out to where it belonged. Then let it cool for 5 minutes and the resin hardens again. Now you can slide the pistol in and out, a perfectly snug fit.

Attachments

• IMGP8746.JPG
      IMGP8746.JPG
      108.5 KB · Views: 333
    • IMGP8747.JPG
      IMGP8747.JPG
      108.6 KB · Views: 327
    • IMGP8748.JPG
      IMGP8748.JPG
      60.3 KB · Views: 323
    • IMGP8749.JPG
      IMGP8749.JPG
      88.1 KB · Views: 336
    • IMGP8750.JPG
      IMGP8750.JPG
      63.7 KB · Views: 319
    • IMGP8751.JPG
      IMGP8751.JPG
      60.3 KB · Views: 324
    Jul 1, 2012
    Wow, that's in pretty amazing shape, and the price was... well, Mawkie priced :)
    Still has the latch springs and whatnot, not torn up or cracked, pouch looks great...

waiting for the next installment!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Congrats, tell me more about the "spare striker pouch". That is the little cylindrical pouch on the side of the bigger one?
    I know the Nambu is known for breaking the striker at the pin but they knew it and just included a spare instead of fixing the problem?

So, it does not have a spot for a spare mag?
    That bigger pouch is for a package of ammo?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congrats, tell me more about the "spare striker pouch". That is the little cylindrical pouch on the side of the bigger one?
    I know the Nambu is known for breaking the striker at the pin but they knew it and just included a spare instead of fixing the problem?

So, it does not have a spot for a spare mag?
    That bigger pouch is for a package of ammo?

That's the pouch for the cleaning rod next to the spare striker pouch (stupid expensive and hard to find). No spare mag pouch on these, seems strange, doesn't it?.
    Not sure what they could have done to fix the fragile striker problem. Perhaps changing the metallurgy or heat treating process. The problem dogged the T14 all through its life. It's why so many recommend those who want to shoot a matching example to remove the original striker and use a non-matching spare. Breaking a matching striker is a real possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom