• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is there such a permit through the USDA that allows you to go after "pest" species virtually uninhibited? My neighbor has stated he has some sort of permit to allow him to get all the coyotes, foxes, etc., etc., but I can't seem to find anything like that after looking for several days.

I know about the Maryland permits, like fur-bearer, which I have, but a USDA permit is totally new to me.

Thanks!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ^^ thats not what I think OP is referring to, this is: https://dnr.maryland.gov/Wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/wildlifeproblems.aspx. or maybe its there, tl;dr

If this course of action is taken, homeowners must obtain a free landowner trapping permit by calling 1-877-463-6497. Permittees must comply with permit requirements and local firearms restrictions.

this does not apply to foxes. I dont think you need the pest permit for coyotes, that would be covered under your hunting license (coyote is season is all year round). If its in season and on your property, generally you can take it. Foxes dont cause damage unless you are feeding them. Groundhogs (aka woodchucks) are not protected and you dont need a permit for those either.

The Pest permit mainly applies to raccoons and the like which are causing damage. They will ask you a few questions about the "damage" and how you plan to get them, and how you plan to dispose of them.

^^ thats not what I think OP is referring to, this is: https://dnr.maryland.gov/Wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/wildlifeproblems.aspx. or maybe its there, tl;dr

this does not apply to foxes. I dont think you need the pest permit for coyotes, that would be covered under your hunting license (coyote is season is all year round). If its in season and on your property, generally you can take it. Foxes dont cause damage unless you are feeding them. Groundhogs (aka woodchucks) are not protected and you dont need a permit for those either.

The Pest permit mainly applies to raccoons and the like which are causing damage. They will ask you a few questions about the "damage" and how you plan to get them, and how you plan to dispose of them.

I listed foxes as an example but probably shouldn't have. Yeah I saw the questions with a "test" to prove there's damage which is just insane.

It's hard for me to explain for certain what the neighbor exactly has as I'm learning second handed from my folks.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll see if I can figure out what he has and what I need. I'll update later in case anyone is interested

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I mean, define damage. If the Fox is eating my chickens, that’s damage. Also fox do make burrows under sheds and things like that.

Though IIRC you don’t need a permit if an animal is causing imminent harm.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Foxes eat poultry, sometimes get lambs and goat kids, they dig holes in fields or dig out old groundhog holes that were filled in fields ( the dirt sinks some and being its looser, they can dig it back out if they want). They make dens under sheds, usually by enlarging a groundhog hole. And I once had a call about fox poop being all over a lady's yard lol. And yes, the were fox poops all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom