• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

I've got the rimfire bug again, after happening upon a nice barely used Henry Frontier Octagon in 22LR. It's made me revisit the safe to see what rimfire stuff I have in general.

I have a ton of 22WMR ammo, that i bought to use with a PMR-30 that I've had my fun with, but will likely part with soon. First time I've bought a gun that "shoots worse than I do..."

So that got me thinkin, what rifle could I get that is 22WMR? I like older wood stocked rifles in 22, and have been trollin gun show's for just the right one, but haven't had much to look at lately.

I currently have the mentioned Henry in 22LR, a basic Savage MKII in 22LR (may sell that too), and a Ruger Takedown with a Gemtech Myst barrel. All real nice, but given I have nothing else in 22WMR. So I thought it'd be nice to get a nice older bolt or lever gun that i could keep as an heirloom to pass down to one of my kids.

I know very little about 22 Mag rifles, except for what I read or YouTube'd on some of the more popular modern ones - CZ 455, Ruger American, Savage 9X, etc.. I'd prefer something a little older, in wood, with some character.

What say y'all on suggestions to look out for?

TIA, --JB

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I lost my Marlin 882 22WMR in a fire this year. It was a great shooter.

I was very happy to replace it with a Mossberg 640 KD "The Chuckster" 22WMR. The only negative is trying to find original mags for it. But there is a Savage magazine that fits it.

Last edited:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I like that semi auto they were making in Turkey or somewhere....the really futuristic looking one. Forgetting the name now.. ETA EAA Bullpup. But not an older gun.

Henry makes a really nice 22 Magnum rifle in lever actions.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    IF you are ok with bolts, there are plenty to be had. The 22 Mag round has been a problem for semi auto. I forget exactly why. But very few semi autos are available for that round.

Ruger made a 10/22 for 22 mag. Good luck finding one, I hear their owners don't part with them unless they die..... :rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Whichever Savage or Marlin you stumble accross in decent shape at acceptable price .

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a ton of 22WMR ammo, that i bought to use with a PMR-30 that I've had my fun with, but will likely part with soon. First time I've bought a gun that "shoots worse than I do..."

This part got me ... :loll:

I recently got a Browning T-bolt in 22 Mag that was a lot of fun at the range, and probably shoots better than I do. ;)

They are available in Walnut, Maple, and Synthetic stocks. Mine is Maple, and is a really light weight rifle. I have a thread on it here ...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=202707

Last post has a deal that may still be in effect (I can't check from my current location).

I know you were asking for old, but the newer T-bolts, especially with wood stocks have a similar appeal to me that older rifles with wood and blued steel do. Good luck!

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I got a Marlin Model 783 in 22WMR tube fed and is very nice wood stock bolt action gun from a member on here. Very accurate gun and fun as hell to shoot.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Marlin XT22MR. I have one of these and it's accurate as hell. Sharp looking rifle with stainless barrel. I prefer the tube mag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      18.2 KB · Views: 415

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Shocked no one has mentioned the Remington 597 yet. I have one with a bull barrel and laminate stock and with the Hornady V-Max rounds; it's like shooting a laser beam.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I have a Ruger 77/17 with SS bull barrel and laminated stock. Great accuracy, fit and finish. I'd look for one of those.

My 9417 is a beautiful rifle. Tube fed gets old after a while.

I had a 597. One day while shooting with my son, it misfed and the round went off. It blew the magazine down with enough force to bruise my palm and blew the lever off the bolt. I'm really glad it was me shooting and not my 6 year old son. He had shot the previous magazine.

I realize the OP is about a 22 wmr. The .17 hmr is a necked down .22wmr. Very similar rifles/actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom