• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have been shooting this factory wood stocked Ruger Takedown rifle. I like the wood and blue steel, watched this at Dick's until the sale proce was just right.

It showed promise as being acceptably accurate with a couple standing hand held one groups around an inch at 25 yards using the iron sights on an indoor range. Most groups were around 1.5 to 2.0 inches with a flier in each group. All shot with CCI MiniMags. It shoots other brands reliably and with okay accuracy.

Pics, without toes, of the rifle topped with a Bushnell Mini Red Dot. The sight is small to keep the 10/22 light and lively. Not the best precision shooting dot having a characteristic flare and 3 moa dot size. It still works well especially for fast practical work.

Inside the receiver is a Ruger BX-Trigger unit. Much lighter pull than stock, some lightly gritty creep and a crisp break...almost two stage-ish. Definitely lends well to shootability over the stock trigger. There was considerable looseness in the stock/receiver inletting. Torqing the stock screw only resulted in looseness after one or two mags throught the rifle.

The targets pictured were shot at 55 yards, off the bench without bags using CCI Mini Mags. This was with the BX trigger installed and using the dot sight. The stock had loosen up by the time I shot these groups. The group sizes were around 1.4 to 2.5" or slightly greater. The one target shows a low left flyer and around just peeking from the orange bull. The last pic of the conglomerate target shows a group of 5 for 5 shots about 4:30 out of the black reactive target. I didn't have my cell on me when I pasted the reactive centers so I set that center off the good group. The far right shot is from anothrr group not in the pic.

Since I shot these groups I did bed the receiver, remove the forend and knock off the production splintered, varnished debris. Retesting today. Overall I do like this rifle. It is not as accurate as my 795 Marlin, decently accurate, handy to pack up, and just may be a keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.JPG
      IMG_2835.JPG
      49.9 KB · Views: 520
    • IMG_2836.JPG
      IMG_2836.JPG
      54.5 KB · Views: 514
    • IMG_2837.JPG
      IMG_2837.JPG
      60.4 KB · Views: 568
    • IMG_2838.JPG
      IMG_2838.JPG
      76 KB · Views: 514
    • IMG_2839.JPG
      IMG_2839.JPG
      100.6 KB · Views: 518
    • IMG_2841.JPG
      IMG_2841.JPG
      79.5 KB · Views: 513

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I didn't even know they made the takedown with wood. If there's a threaded version I'm all over that. :party29:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The original 10/22 wood take downs were actually aftermarket wood. I saw this one in Dick's and it just kind of stayed on the shelf. It came up on a good sale so I thought, "Oh, yeah!"

Thank for the write up cudos.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I don't have to be on the cutting edge of new on most things. I have a cell phone, but it is probably 5 years old, and the kind that folds in half. The newest vehicle I own is a 2005 and, until Christmas, we still used a tube TV. Guns, however, are the exception. New ones come out, and I let a case of the "Iwants" get the better of me. :innocent0 That was the case with the 10/22 takedown. I didn't buy the first one I saw, but that definitely got the wheels turning and me price shopping. I probably was the first kid on my block to have one. :)

It was great...except for a couple of things. The first ones were only available in stainless with a synthetic stock...:tap:but I like blue and wood. I haven't gotten around to making the stainless not silver (yet), but a year or so ago I decided I could do something about the stock. With some very careful (eyeball, mostly:o) measuring I cut a stock stock in half and used a forstner bit and the cross slide vice in my drill press to "machine" out room for the takedownie parts. For a while, I was definitely the only kid on my block with a wood stocked takedown.:party29:

AND then...Ruger started offering blued takedowns in wood:rolleyes:
    takedown.JPG

Overall, I think it worked out pretty well. There are a few finishing touches I want to make. The two halves do not line up arrow straight. It's just a matter of shim work that I haven't gotten around to doing. I also want to put an aluminum "cap" on each half where they meet to better fill the gap and also prevent chipping of the wood edges...someday...(and maybe blue it...somehow). Like so many of my projects, once the rough-around-the-edges prototype works just fine, I have a hard time coming back for the final polishing...cuz...hey, it works just fine :)

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I don't have to be on the cutting edge of new on most things. I have a cell phone, but it is probably 5 years old, and the kind that folds in half. The newest vehicle I own is a 2005 and, until Christmas, we still used a tube TV. Guns, however, are the exception. New ones come out, and I let a case of the "Iwants" get the better of me. :innocent0 That was the case with the 10/22 takedown. I didn't buy the first one I saw, but that definitely got the wheels turning and me price shopping. I probably was the first kid on my block to have one. :)

It was great...except for a couple of things. The first ones were only available in stainless with a synthetic stock...:tap:but I like blue and wood. I haven't gotten around to making the stainless not silver (yet), but a year or so ago I decided I could do something about the stock. With some very careful (eyeball, mostly:o) measuring I cut a stock stock in half and used a forstner bit and the cross slide vice in my drill press to "machine" out room for the takedownie parts. For a while, I was definitely the only kid on my block with a wood stocked takedown.:party29:

AND then...Ruger started offering blued takedowns in wood:rolleyes:
    View attachment 194709

Overall, I think it worked out pretty well. There are a few finishing touches I want to make. The two halves do not line up arrow straight. It's just a matter of shim work that I haven't gotten around to doing. I also want to put an aluminum "cap" on each half where they meet to better fill the gap and also prevent chipping of the wood edges...someday...(and maybe blue it...somehow). Like so many of my projects, once the rough-around-the-edges prototype works just fine, I have a hard time coming back for the final polishing...cuz...hey, it works just fine :)

You might have been the only kid on YOUR block to have one but I beat you to it on my block. I bought a take off wood stock and cut it to fit my take down 10/22 several years ago, not long after I bought it. Mine fits about as good as the original plastic stock did so I'm happy with it. To me the wood just looks and feels better than the synthetic does. I just wish I could have found a walnut stock instead of the birch but the prices people want for the walnut stocks are just crazy.

Attachments

• 100_0936.jpg
      100_0936.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 248
    • 100_0937.jpg
      100_0937.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 249
    • 100_0938.jpg
      100_0938.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 253
    • 100_0939.jpg
      100_0939.jpg
      81 KB · Views: 243

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    When the take downs first came out ( about 4 years ago) I bought 1 and did this to it. Didn't like the plastic stock, but loved the gun.

Attachments

• 2012-08-21_08-26-53_219.jpg
      2012-08-21_08-26-53_219.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 189

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom