• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have an old Marlin 60 from my Father in Law. He never shot it and it sat in a closet for 30 years. Tried to shoot it and it jammed miserably. The action was stiff and gritty, so I took apart the trigger pack (which is to me a very complicated component compared to e.g. a 10/22) and cleaned it up and lubricated it.

Well now it cycles fairly well with an occasional FTF. But the trigger will only reset if I pull the bolt back manually.

Is this due to the ammo being too soft (i.e., bolt does not go back far enough to reset the trigger)? This was yesterday and it was fairly cold and blustery which may not have helped. I am about ready to say screw this and buy a new trigger pack from Midway.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    This worked for me..

My Marlin 99 was a predecessor to the Model 60 which was cosmetially inferior but funtional the same. I bought my '99' while in Viet Nam through the PX in 1967. It shipped to my home address then.

My rifle has probaly had 10 to 15,000 rds fired with nothing but routine cleaning. It' basically stayed in the safe for about the last 8 years. Pulled it out and it had the exact same problems you described. Removed the trigger assy, bolt and cleaned both. Replaced the recoil spring and the plastic 'buffer' bolt block whic had split from age & use. Made sure the chamber was super clean. All together..no FTF's..no TTE's ..no stove pipes.

HTH.. Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom