• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here’s a nice comparison between the Shield and XDs. The XDs is so accurate. On YouTube, Nutnfancy was hitting steel with an XDs at 60 yds!! Not that you would ever shoot that far with a pocket pistol.

Hickok45 got similar results:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEWaKevY8o

Nutnfancy also really likes the Walther PPS M2

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I sure like my 43's size. I've got big hands, but shoot it just fine. But I'm not carrying it right now. Toting around the slightly bigger XD-E in 9mm. Like the capacity, the safety (if I want it) and the DA/SA. Round chambered indicator. Better grip (for me), and 9+1 if I don't mind the pinky extension, otherwise 8+1. But mostly it's the variety of states in which I can carry it. I'm surprised how accurate the dang thing is, considering that short barrel. And: because it's DA/SA with a hammer, that slide is buttery easy to operate, if that matters to anyone. Try one if you get a chance, just for educational purposes if nothing else. It's ... different. Just snapped a couple of comparison shots for a sense of scale. Sorry, several S&W products around the house, but not the Shield to add to this mix.

Attachments

• g43_xd-e.jpg
      g43_xd-e.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 270

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    To occam. Thanks for the response mentioning the xde. I like the da/sa of the sig 226 and after reading up on this gun following your post it looks very nice da/sa and 1” thick. The reviews i read were good. A nice one to try out. If i was a gun writer.......

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    To occam. Thanks for the response mentioning the xde. I like the da/sa of the sig 226 and after reading up on this gun following your post it looks very nice da/sa and 1” thick. The reviews i read were good. A nice one to try out. If i was a gun writer.......

It's kind of a homely gun (the XD-E), with that tall slide. But that's only skin deep. Once you handle it, it really grows on you. Good hunting for just the right piece! There could hardly be a more personal decision.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    It's kind of a homely gun (the XD-E), with that tall slide. But that's only skin deep. Once you handle it, it really grows on you. Good hunting for just the right piece! There could hardly be a more personal decision.

If you play golf ( i once did) its like looking for the holy grail driver.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hyve technologies makes a nice extended mag for the Shield.

i have a Shield, i had trigger work done on mine

I tried the G43, and found it very uncomfortable to shoot
    So uncomfortable that you couldn't hit a threat with it at 7-10 yards?
    Why do people buy small pistols but modify then to make them bigger?? Blows my mind.

Last edited:

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    you have your preferences, I have mine, for the record, the extended mag is the spare mag i carry, not what is carried in the gun.

and yes, i can hit a threat at 10yards with the G43, my preference is the Shield.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So uncomfortable that you couldn't hit a threat with it at 7-10 yards?
    Why do people buy small pistols but modify then to make them bigger?? Blows my mind.

Good point, a lot of compromises depending on what is important to you. You can't have concealability and a comfortable shooting pistol at the same time. For that matter, if the small pistol is the one that you will most likely carry, then maybe something like a Ruger LCP II would be in order. Even though a 380 is less powerful, and the LCP is very snappy, if the goal is conceal carry, then other considerations take a back seat.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good point, a lot of compromises depending on what is important to you. You can't have concealability and a comfortable shooting pistol at the same time. For that matter, if the small pistol is the one that you will most likely carry, then maybe something like a Ruger LCP II would be in order. Even though a 380 is less powerful, and the LCP is very snappy, if the goal is conceal carry, then other considerations take a back seat.
    I've concealed a P229 for many years for work. I concealed it well, and got used to it. Now, retired, I swap between a G42 and a 43. Depending on how tight my clothes are that day. Lol

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I had a shield before. They are nice pistols which a easy to carry and pretty easy to shot. I now have a glock 43 which is slightly easier to carry but as little harder to shoot. I have had no problems controlling either pistol and hitting the target. The Springfield xds fit the bill as well I had one in 45 which shot well. I'm sure the 9 would be even better

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Just came back from outdoor range. Brought G33 and wiffe brought G43 and bodyguard 380. She shoots everything fast and fine and she liked the broader grip of the 33. After a while i substituted a 9mm barrel and mag. She thought that was a lot of fun. Gun is a bit wider than the 43, for sme its easier to shoot. Concealed carry it disappears due to its short height. Keeps me on my toes re diet.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have Glock, M&P, and XD. Try the XDs. 7+1, and has a 9 round mag for reloading. My choice would be the XDs followed by the Shield. That said, the p365 will be a winner once they fix the bugs. By then I’m sure the other manufacturers will have a similar offering.

So the XDs is bubbling up the list; still have not quite decided.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Shield is good

I had a 9mm, loved it until the 45 cal came out. Traded the 9 for a snub nose and bought a 45 shield, which is almost the same dimensions as the 9, even fits in many of the same holsters.

Grip texture is a little aggressive on the new shields, but I did an advanced pistol course with it a few weeks ago. It held its own with the bigger guns in all aspects and not a hiccup for the two days.

TD

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I have the XDs, Shield and g26 and out of the three, I prefer the XDs. I dont want to stir a decision but all the tangables make it a better carry option for me (when a larger format isnt an option). At some point I’ll probably pick the p365 as well.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm sticking with the Shield. After upgrading the trigger I shoot it pretty decently. As much as I like the Glock trigger, I am too invested in round count with the Shield to change now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom