• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I had to do this a few years ago for a Chevy Cobalt. Dyson Lumber Company was able to cut the key from the original, and then I had to go to a Chevy dealer to get the chip programmed.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Google it. You may well be able to have it cut professionally, then program it yourself. That saves big money.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I was shocked when I went to have a spare key made for my Tacoma at WalMart and they wanted $60. I passed.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    It takes only a few seconds to program these keys, but they charge 80+ dollars for them sometimes. Biggest racket ever.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Dependent on make/model Ace Hardware can cut and program at a reasonable price ... if you have the original. Still not as cheap as a non-chip key, but less expensive than a dealer.

Call your local Ace to see if they have the ChipKey® duplicating unit.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Google it. You may well be able to have it cut professionally, then program it yourself. That saves big money.

100% do this. The procedure varies by manufacturer, and I don't know Subaru's off of the top of my head, but with many cars if you have at least one valid key you can program a new one by yourself. Sometimes it involves starting the car with one key and then using the other in the door lock in a certain way, or stuff like that.

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD
    I haven't been able to find a procedure for the key, just the remote fob(that was easy)

I called a mobile locksmith and he didn't want to help me out (maybe because I bought my own blanks?)

I will have to try Ace this weekend. I might try Lowes tonight. But now I'm worried they everyone might tell me to eff off because I'm not buying the key from them also.

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD
    Well lowes did cut the key for me, but when they tried to program it they said my blank wasn't compatible with their system.

My limited googling shows no results for self programing the key

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Let us see the key you speak of...

My 07 had this fob with a standard double cut key, as most 05 likely had...

subaru-key-fob.png

Also, this might be a time to be friendly to your local dealer if you are not able to DIY.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Not sure who you called. My brother is D&L Locksmithing, and no he does not program 'internet' keys. No way of knowing where they come from and not willing to risk his $8k programmer. Only other option in a lot of cases is a tow to a dealer plus whatever they charge to do it.

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD
    Not sure who you called. My brother is D&L Locksmithing, and no he does not program 'internet' keys. No way of knowing where they come from and not willing to risk his $8k programmer. Only other option in a lot of cases is a tow to a dealer plus whatever they charge to do it.

Thanks for letting me know. That's what I suspected, but not what I was told over the phone. I wasn't even quoted using locksmith blanks, just turned away.

Luckily I still have one original key so I dont have to tow it yet

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Call the ace hardware in lusby. I am not sure if they can do it but they have a sign in their key cutting area that says they can program the chip in keys. It is worth a call to see if they can do it.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Armen locksmith in Gaithersburg specialize in cars, chip keys, and fobs. They just did a great job for us.

Rob

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD
    Update:
    Ace can do it with their blanks(as could lowes assuming they have it in stock) but they could not copy the chip onto my keys. My key blank wasn't compatible with their machine. Cost about $75 from ace with their blanks.

And a locksmith was able to reprogram my blanks. So I have 2 spare keys now for $15

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom