• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake17

May 20, 2019
    Just got my first weapon yesterday. I got a new sight and can't figure out how to remove the pins. Both sides are rounded and doesn't look like it would push through.

I added some pictures of both sides of the pins. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

• Resized_20190520_061248_7487.jpg
      Resized_20190520_061248_7487.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 320
    • Resized_20190520_061232_7097.jpg
      Resized_20190520_061232_7097.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 338

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    What are you trying to install? That front sight is also the gas block. Don't take it off. (Otherwise your next thread will be "My rifle only works as a single shot.")

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    What are you trying to install? That front sight is also the gas block. Don't take it off. (Otherwise your next thread will be "My rifle only works as a single shot.")
    This! Your sight is also your gas block. If you want to make changes to gas block, front sight and potentially rail here is a good article to get you started and it admittedly pushes some Brownell parts.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/11/removing-an-ar-15-a2-front-sight-how-to-guide/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I get the idea you are new at this. Read, read, read, read before you start messing around with things.

Jake17

May 20, 2019

Thanks for the info! Had no idea they were one in the same. I'm trying to get a scope on it but the front sight blocks the view. Will do more research :)

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    A lot of people that come to the range have a scope with that front site. The front site is so close to the scope that when zoomed in and focused on your target the site is visible.

If you know you are going to install a scope, buy one, mount it and if you think the front site is still a problem, you could find a competent gunsmith to remove and install a new gas block.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    As cheap as uppers are today I don't see any reason to take that thing apart. Just buy a new MD compliant upper that fits the need and call it a day.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    As cheap as uppers are today I don't see any reason to take that thing apart. Just buy a new MD compliant upper that fits the need and call it a day.
    If you go that route I have one PSA MD compliant HBAR upper left in stock at MTBGUNWORKS.COM. I am an IP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you have to ask about removing a Front Sight Base, you should not be removing a FSB.

The sight is only visible on low power unless you have the wrong height scope mount.

You can chop the Sight Tower off, but again this is a more advanced job.

Have you fired the weapon yet? If not go shoot it first before doing any changes. If it has problems you will void the warranty.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you want a free float tube, you can shave down the existing front sight base, and install a tube like a Troy that attaches to the standard barrel nut. Shaving it down is easy, and you keep the bottom half of the front sight base as a pinned gas block.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The pins are tapered and only come out one way. I would not mess with it as it will void your warranty. Driving them the wrong way could damage the bore!
    +1 to what Clandestine said.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    Either you won't see it in your scope because it's too close or take a cut off wheel and hack it off.

Switching out the gas black is unnecessary either way.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Either you won't see it in your scope because it's too close or take a cut off wheel and hack it off.

I had mine on for awhile with a scope and could tell it was there but didn't really notice it in practice on about 5x zoom. I did end up grinding it off though. Just have some matte krylon bbq paint handy for when your done.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Seriously, just buy another upper with a free float rail and use the scope with that. That’s the easiest and best solution IMO. (Not the cheapest but that’s a different issue)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom