• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    If someone shows up at a pin shoot I'm attending and wants to use FMJ anything and the event master allows, then I'm out of there. Pins at 25 feet with FMJ is a serious accident waiting to happen.

We set pins in the middle of the table for 9mm shooters, but when told FMJ is not allowed almost all of these folks start looking for a 45 to borrow. Very few 9mm guys shoot anything but FMJ. Sad but true.

I'll say it again, FMJ anything on pins at 25 feet is dangerous. bob

Please elaborate.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If someone shows up at a pin shoot I'm attending and wants to use FMJ anything and the event master allows, then I'm out of there. Pins at 25 feet with FMJ is a serious accident waiting to happen.

We set pins in the middle of the table for 9mm shooters, but when told FMJ is not allowed almost all of these folks start looking for a 45 to borrow. Very few 9mm guys shoot anything but FMJ. Sad but true.

OK, you've said it again. Feel better? They've been allowing FMJ for decades and no one has ever been injured from it as far as I know. FMJ is all that I've ever run, with the exception of using a friend's alloy cast .45 bullets for awhile in my 1911's. Otherwise, all FMJ and I've been shooting pins since the mid-1980's. :rolleyes:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone not use fmj at the Sanners Lake pin matches. Maybe polymer coated. Ratio of 9mm to .45 shooters is at least 10:1.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    So the pin shoots I have done at the AGC are with bowling pin shaped plate racks. The 22lr class has ~3” circles at the same distance. It’s fun and I rarely have a pin that doesn’t go down with more than 1 shot. I typically run the plate rack in 3-5 seconds depending if I need a reload.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    So the pin shoots I have done at the AGC are with bowling pin shaped plate racks. The 22lr class has ~3” circles at the same distance. It’s fun and I rarely have a pin that doesn’t go down with more than 1 shot. I typically run the plate rack in 3-5 seconds depending if I need a reload.

I've shot the pin-shaped steel plates with Stemmer's Run at AGC a couple of times and while it is fun and a challenge, shooting real wooden bowling pins is a whole different kind of crazy.

Pins have a way of reacting after they're hit that isn't always predictable. You'll think you've made a solid hit and they'll just fall over on their side and starting rolling back n' forth. LOL Then, you're faced with shooting a much smaller, moving target and trying to decide if it's worth the 5-second penalty to leave it on the table or move-on to the next target. I generally move-on to the next target and come back for follow-up shots after the pin stops moving but I've seen some shooters waste an entire magazine trying to clear a 'flopper' off the table.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

Monocacy allows anything in ammo. They have bullet deflecting backstops that work pretty well and shoot even closer than 25 yards. They have been shooting pins there for maybe 20 years or so and no accidents that I know of and I joined around 2006. You also have to understand that even in stock auto class the fast guys are shooting the 5 pins off in the mid-3 second range. Generally 9mm can't do that nor can .357Sig shooting Gold Dot HPs. You need FP FMJ .40, .45, or 10mm, although RNs work OK in those calibers also. Pins have to clear the table for no penalties. Rimfire gets full size pins about 6" from the back of the table. And for open .22 auto you need to be able to clear the table in the mid to upper 2 second range. Which I did for about 6 years straight until last year when I had to take time out for knee replacement surgery.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Monocacy allows anything in ammo. They have bullet deflecting backstops that work pretty well and shoot even closer than 25 yards. They have been shooting pins there for maybe 20 years or so and no accidents that I know of and I joined around 2006. You also have to understand that even in stock auto class the fast guys are shooting the 5 pins off in the mid-3 second range. Generally 9mm can't do that nor can .357Sig shooting Gold Dot HPs. You need FP FMJ .40, .45, or 10mm, although RNs work OK in those calibers also. Pins have to clear the table for no penalties. Rimfire gets full size pins about 6" from the back of the table. And for open .22 auto you need to be able to clear the table in the mid to upper 2 second range. Which I did for about 6 years straight until last year when I had to take time out for knee replacement surgery.

I've enjoyed the pin matches at MPC so much during the last five years, I became a member earlier this year. Hope to see you there when you're feeling up to it again!

As for Mr. Finger, I think he should put on his body armor and come out and see it for himself. LOL I think he would find it just as fun and safe as any of us do.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    In the middle of recovery from retina repair surgery in my left eye. Has not stopped me from shooting long guns but I don't feel well enough for speed pistol shooting without both eyes working again. Hope to be back next month maybe.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    In the middle of recovery from retina repair surgery in my left eye. Has not stopped me from shooting long guns but I don't feel well enough for speed pistol shooting without both eyes working again. Hope to be back next month maybe.

:thumbsup: Hope your recovery continues to go well and without complications. I'm planning to be at the next one, too, work schedule permitting, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom