• SW686

MDS Supporter
    Jul 25, 2012
    Done.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This question is only as simple as your definition of "mentally ill", and by extension who else gets to define the term and when.

It isn't my definition of "mentally ill" but the legal definition of mentally ill that is currently in place that prevents mentally ill people from possessing firearms, or at least it should prevent mentally ill people from possessing firearms.

I am shocked that you do not know the current definition of "mentally ill" that would prevent a person from possessing a firearm.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Alright, duly noted that you are alright with convicted felons and mentally ill people owning firearms. Of course, like me you are an attorney and you know where I am headed with those two questions and I would bet that neither of those answers would pass a polygraph.

Personally, I cannot support mentally ill people having firearms. I'm alright with convicted felons having firearms once they are released from prison. I'm fine with them having firearms even if they are on probation/parole.

If it were up to me, we would make NICS only report on those that have psychiatric problems and there would be universal background checks throughout the nation. We would also shore up NICS such that all states would keep good data on the mentally ill and report that data to NICS. Other than that, firearms for everybody.

It’s an exercise in hypothetical only. Too many on this side are conditioned to say no. The reality is if a person is that bloody dangerous the gun remains only a potential tool, no different from renting a truck (or buying a jerrycan of gas, etc). If someone is *that dangerous* they should be locked up. All gun control is wrong.

Btw, who decides what is mental illness? APA? Those asshats have began trotting the line of defending pedophiles. Trump is labeled as crazy. I am labeled as crazy by folks on the left. Mental health is a farce. There are crazy people who are boba dude crazy and literally poop in their hand to throw at you, and then there is everyone else. But your definition of crazy, would it included someone diagnosed as bipolar? Major depression? Generalized anxiety?

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    It isn't my definition of "mentally ill" but the legal definition of mentally ill that is currently in place that prevents mentally ill people from possessing firearms, or at least it should prevent mentally ill people from possessing firearms.

I am shocked that you do not know the current definition of "mentally ill" that would prevent a person from possessing a firearm.

Slow down, man. I do know it already. My point is that some people understandably have a problem with an arguably opaque process being used as a catch-all for denying someone's natural rights, as governments have shown themselves willing to do in the past. It's a valid concern.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So....

How many people that have posted in this thread have started to contact their Delegate(s)?

How many have shared with on any social media platform at all to get their friends to do the same??

So far, I haven't seen one post saying "Done".

What I have seen, is a bunch of supposedly grown adults acting like kindergardeners. So let me ask, in mt best House Judiciary voice....ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR EVERLOVIN' FREAKIN MINDS. You ALL NEED A FREAKIN' TIME OUT. KNOCK IT OFF AND GET ON WITH THE BUSINESS OF MAKING THE DELEGATES IN ANNAPOLIS LIVES MISERABLE.

If you want to make each other miserable, then wait the frack until after the session is over and I will happily rent a tactical air sift location and you can take it out on each other until your hearts contenet. Until then, knock off the petty BS and get to work helping to work to prevent these bills from passing.

Took care of mine last night. Thing is, I'm not really opposed to this bill in its current form. About the only issue I have with this the way it is, is with loaning a firearm to a friend so he can use it at the range or while hunting, and there is nothing that covers him transporting it from my house to the range/hunting ground. If he gets into a severe auto accident between my house and the range/blind, he might be in some serious legal trouble because of the gun and I might be too. That is really my only gripe with this bill. The more I think about it, the more I am alright with universal background checks.

Either NICS is good or it is bad. If everybody should be able to buy a firearm without a a background check, then this is a bad law. If NICS is good, then with a tweak here and there, this is a good thing in my eyes.

Maybe we just need more FFL's out there to handle the additional demand for transfers, making it more convenient and lower cost for the transferor/transferee.

I am all ears and eyes as to why this bill, in its current form, is bad. Give me a good argument to send to my legislators on this bill other than what I already mentioned about going to and from the range/blind and I will send it to my legislators, my family, and my friends.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Took care of mine last night. Thing is, I'm not really opposed to this bill in its current form. About the only issue I have with this the way it is, is with loaning a firearm to a friend so he can use it at the range or while hunting, and there is nothing that covers him transporting it from my house to the range/hunting ground. If he gets into a severe auto accident between my house and the range/blind, he might be in some serious legal trouble because of the gun and I might be too. That is really my only gripe with this bill. The more I think about it, the more I am alright with universal background checks.

Either NICS is good or it is bad. If everybody should be able to buy a firearm without a a background check, then this is a bad law. If NICS is good, then with a tweak here and there, this is a good thing in my eyes.

Maybe we just need more FFL's out there to handle the additional demand for transfers, making it more convenient and lower cost for the transferor/transferee.

I am all ears and eyes as to why this bill, in its current form, is bad. Give me a good argument to send to my legislators on this bill other than what I already mentioned about going to and from the range/blind and I will send it to my legislators, my family, and my friends.

Why don’t you start your own thread on how much you like this bill and why, but please for the love of God stop crapping in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Amen. What are we going to loan each other? We need to get together and peak in each others safes.

That’ll be fun.
    Two simple yes/no questions for you and we can go from there.

Are you alright with the mentally ill having firearms?

Are you alright with convicted felons having firearms?

Answer those two questions, and then we can continue the discussion.

Yes and yes.

I have a mental illness. Want to take my guns?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So....

How many people that have posted in this thread have started to contact their Delegate(s)?

How many have shared with on any social media platform at all to get their friends to do the same??

So far, I haven't seen one post saying "Done".

What I have seen, is a bunch of supposedly grown adults acting like kindergardeners. So let me ask, in mt best House Judiciary voice....ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR EVERLOVIN' FREAKIN MINDS. You ALL NEED A FREAKIN' TIME OUT. KNOCK IT OFF AND GET ON WITH THE BUSINESS OF MAKING THE DELEGATES IN ANNAPOLIS LIVES MISERABLE.

If you want to make each other miserable, then wait the frack until after the session is over and I will happily rent a tactical air sift location and you can take it out on each other until your hearts contenet. Until then, knock off the petty BS and get to work helping to work to prevent these bills from passing.

Thought of something else. Just like we never hear about the robberies and murders prevented because somebody has a gun on them and the perpetrator backs down, we would NEVER hear any mass murder prevented because somebody failed a NICS check. We would never even know that the person failed a NICS check unless he/she obtains a firearm in a different manner and commits the deed, and then the failed NICS check comes up later on.

Are we for the NICS system or not? If we aren't we should try scrapping it at the national level. If we are for it, which at this very moment I am, I would like to see the definition of prohibited person dealt with a little better. If people still believe that convicted felons should not have access to firearms, then maybe we should narrow the list down to convicted VIOLENT felons. Granted, this is a discussion for another day and on a national level, but I just don't see how somebody caught in a check kiting fraud, that amounts to a felony, would be any more dangerous because they own a firearm.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Thought of something else. Just like we never hear about the robberies and murders prevented because somebody has a gun on them and the perpetrator backs down, we would NEVER hear any mass murder prevented because somebody failed a NICS check. We would never even know that the person failed a NICS check unless he/she obtains a firearm in a different manner and commits the deed, and then the failed NICS check comes up later on.

Are we for the NICS system or not? If we aren't we should try scrapping it at the national level. If we are for it, which at this very moment I am, I would like to see the definition of prohibited person dealt with a little better. If people still believe that convicted felons should not have access to firearms, then maybe we should narrow the list down to convicted VIOLENT felons. Granted, this is a discussion for another day and on a national level, but I just don't see how somebody caught in a check kiting fraud, that amounts to a felony, would be any more dangerous because they own a firearm.

The Moms Demand Action folks are on Everytown’s board. I think you’re lost...

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The Minority Leader (Del Nic Kipke) asked for more time to review the changed bill and to allow time for potential amendments (which occur during 2nd Reader debate). Hence the bill has been placed on the "Special Order" calendar for tomorrow.

Keep communicating your concerns with your Delegates, folks.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    ...Either NICS is good or it is bad. If everybody should be able to buy a firearm without a a background check, then this is a bad law. If NICS is good, then with a tweak here and there, this is a good thing in my eyes.

Oh FFS, can’t we get some relief from these fuddly airy fairy Fab musings? (“Either NICS is good or it is bad”).

Trying to discern what is factual about the bills while The Philosopher King waxes poetic about the meaning of Fudd Life is making this thread almost impossible to navigate for info.

Rbird has it right:

Why don’t you start your own thread on how much you like this bill and why, but please for the love of God stop crapping in this one.

Raise your hand if you are on edge of your seat waiting for Fabs’ next Muse Fest.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Please Mods, any blessed relief from this jazz hands stuff?

Are we for the NICS system or not?....

The Moms Demand Action folks are on Everytown’s board. I think you’re lost...

Meanwhile we are at the Statehouse and the Democrats have reserved a whole section of the House gallery for the 15-20 MOMs Demanding Action attending...

Our side cannot let up!

Attachments

• F34609A9-8575-41BC-9F46-00DAA2F09DB4.jpg
      F34609A9-8575-41BC-9F46-00DAA2F09DB4.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 290
    • 5D4415D9-F8DD-415B-BE23-6E6D4A934A1E.jpg
      5D4415D9-F8DD-415B-BE23-6E6D4A934A1E.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 280

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The Minority Leader (Del Nic Kipke) asked for more time to review the changed bill and to allow time for potential amendments (which occur during 2nd Reader debate). Hence the bill has been placed on the "Special Order" calendar for tomorrow.

Keep communicating your concerns with your Delegates, folks.

Other than my concern regarding transporting to and from the range/blind when I loan a gun to a friend for one of those purposes, what other concerns should I have regarding this bill as it is right now? Do we have any proposed amendments to alleviate any concerns?

Thanks Mike.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Please Mods, any blessed relief from this jazz hands stuff?

Meanwhile we are at the Statehouse and the Democrats have reserved a whole section of the House gallery for the 15-20 MOMs Demanding Action attending...

Our side cannot let up!

Can believe that is legal, did you check with the police or security.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

I'm sure that Emo Jen and the rest of the gals would value his missives over on the Marylanders to Prevent Gun Ownership forum.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    giphy.gif

I'm sure that Emo Jen and the rest of the gals would value his missives over on the Marylanders to Prevent Gun Ownership forum.

I thought I was on the Mom's Demand Action Facebook group for a second.

It's unbelievable.

There were several plops of his nonsense that I was inclined to respond to before I stopped reading his posts. I decided against replies so I didn't spread the manure any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom