• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEN-X

Aug 16, 2011
    Prince Frederick MD
    Have about 200 rds 308, 150gr Tulammo. lot J243-14 09-12 55. Had for about 5 yrs, shot about 50rds back then, no problems. Shot about 7 rds last week from Aero recievers, Fulton Armory bcg and DPMS 5R barrel properly headspaced. 2 case head blowouts just above extractor groove. Pulled 2 bullets. 150gr 39.7 ball powder. Also shot some IMI ball and Hirtenberger ball, no problems. Can't get in touch with Tula. Anybody have any similar problems with Tulammo 308 and how do you get in touch with these people???

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    There was a You Tube video of a 308 Garand blowup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TleMPyDq56s
    Fast forward to 4 minutes.

I showed the video to him because I saw him shooting Tula.
    A few week later he thanked me and offered to sell the same 308 Garand for 1K. Great shooter in the middle.

Attachments

• M1 Collection.JPG
      M1 Collection.JPG
      185.5 KB · Views: 570

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I've run 500rds through my SCAR, no big issues. Dirty as hell though, the SCAR would refuse to reliably extract anything else after that until I cleaned the gas valve.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I had OAL issues with some pistol rounds about 2 years ago. Projectiles were seated pretty far down on some to the point I didn't use them, but haven't had any issues with rifle rounds.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Ive run the tula fmj and 165gr soft points in 2 bolt guns and an ar10 without issues. Definitely not as hot and dirtier than brass but accuracy was acceptable.

Had one dud with the fmj where the primer was hit hard but didnt ignite. That was actually in the bolt gun. I was worried about the ar10 because i have reduced power hammer springs but no issues thus far in about 200rds

I actually like the 165gr sp quite a bit At about 7 bucks a box shipped ill keep using it until something else better comes along.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I've run a fair bit of Tula 150gr .308 through my large frame AR (home build + Chad's reliability package) without issues. Oddly enough, my rifle seems to prefer it over brass, especially suppressed. I'm thinking the chamber might be on the tight side. Obviously not the most accurate stuff, but it works for plinking and runs very reliably.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    We have had lots of issues shooting Tula in MGs. We get plenty of case failures like what you talk about. Gun fills with smoke. Does not really hurt but I don't buy Tula anymore either. Wolf and the other steel case are fine but Tula is just below what I am willing to deal with and we are not target shooters...

chauncey

Feb 17, 2019
    I have shot a ton of Tula/Wolf through G3 clones but they have a fluted and generous chamber desgned for steel case.

I don't use steel case in my FAL or M14 clones

Dont shoot brass after steel due to black magic and voodoo I can seem to explain it seems to cause a lot of failures to extract that do not otherwise seem to occur.

YMMV

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Interesting. I had a similar failure with some steel-cased 308, and I believe it was 150gr Tula. If you look online, you'll find some other people with similar problems; looks like the cases just weren't up to par. I'm going to shoot through it and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom