• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Bud's sent out an email that they're generally advertising these soon. Approx $700 ...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/41044/redirect

18.5 inch barrel and attractive wood stain that looks a bit like some of their guide guns.

41044.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That would be sweet. These are still pretty good looking guns to my eye. Price has gone up, but that's to be expected, and in the range of Henry rifles, if not less. Can't comment on quality, but it was my impression from the interwebs that things have improved at Marlin since the first few years after Remington took ownership.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I figured things got put on hold while Remington worked out the details from the bankruptcy and restructuring.

Glad to see that the gun workshop is up and going again....I’ve been on the wait list for one of these Marlin rifles for awhile now.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have an older JM version and it is my favorite rifle to shoot. Very mild recoil yet enough to let you know you've sent a fairly potent round down range. I hope these new ones are back up to the old Marlin standards. If they are I bet Marlin will sell a bunch of them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That would be sweet. These are still pretty good looking guns to my eye. Price has gone up, but that's to be expected, and in the range of Henry rifles, if not less. Can't comment on quality, but it was my impression from the interwebs that things have improved at Marlin since the first few years after Remington took ownership.

I am seriously thinking about one of these, 16" barrel. Could live without the rail and big loop, but still. See what street price is. Hopefully these are lighter than the current production .44 and .45 1894s I have one of each and they are heavy with wide grips. Could be a very nice field/camp gun.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-csbl

70433_Marlin-1894CSBL-SS_Order70433_0.png

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I am seriously thinking about one of these, 16" barrel. Could live without the rail and big loop, but still. See what street price is. Hopefully these are lighter than the current production .44 and .45 1894s I have one of each and they are heavy with wide grips. Could be a very nice field/camp gun.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894/model-1894-csbl

70433_Marlin-1894CSBL-SS_Order70433_0.png

Bad ass. Looks like they're small versions of their 45-70 Government.

Pretty hard to find, and pricey ...

https://thegunparlor.com/product/marlin-model-1894-csbl-357-magnum/

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I scored a real JM in 44 Magnum 20" a couple of years back. It needed a touch of work (machining burrs across the back of the receiver were dragging on the bolt) and it is slick as can be now. I originally thought that I would cut that gun back to 16" barrel but I haven't had the nerve to start that project.

That could be construed as blasphemy but it's my gun.

If Remington-Marlin quality has come up I'd seriously have to consider a short barrel carbine in .357 magnum.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Bud's sent out an email that they're generally advertising these soon. Approx $700 ...

18.5 inch barrel and attractive wood stain that looks a bit like some of their guide guns.

41044.jpg

It’s about time. Marlin most likely lost out on a ton of sales letting the 357 lever rifles go. Hoping they are the same quality as the originals. I may pick one up but not until I see a lot of reviews. A Hickock video would be nice.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    It’s about time. Marlin most likely lost out on a ton of sales letting the 357 lever rifles go. Hoping they are the same quality as the originals. I may pick one up but not until I see a lot of reviews. A Hickock video would be nice.

Has anybody else seen the crazy prices on used Marlin .357's? That's a clue as to the pent up demand that Remington-Marlin have been just ignoring for the last few years. In any case, I'm glad to see them back in the game now. Hope the quality is there.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Has anybody else seen the crazy prices on used Marlin .357's? That's a clue as to the pent up demand that Remington-Marlin have been just ignoring for the last few years. In any case, I'm glad to see them back in the game now. Hope the quality is there.

I seen a JM stamped 357 today at Chantilly. It looked almost new and at first sight I thought it was a 44 or 45 remlin but it was a JM 357. I think the price was $799 or $899 as I don’t really remember.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

41044.jpg

I was in Sevierville, TN over Memorial Day weekend, and stopped in Bud's Gunshop.

Almost bought a rifle from them, but, they informed me and my son, that they sell NOTHING to Maryland residents!!

I inquired as to ammo.

"No sir. Nothing."

I asked why.

The manager stated, "Maryland has such stupid gun laws, that our legal department has decided that we aren't going to bother with the hassle."

I thanked them, and walked right out the door.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I was in Sevierville, TN over Memorial Day weekend, and stopped in Bud's Gunshop.

Almost bought a rifle from them, but, they informed me and my son, that they sell NOTHING to Maryland residents!!

I inquired as to ammo.

"No sir. Nothing."

I asked why.

The manager stated, "Maryland has such stupid gun laws, that our legal department has decided that we aren't going to bother with the hassle."

I would suggest we all wait for the next rebate and inquire as to whether Hog Sniper can get these. He has good luck getting Marlins at good prices.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

It’s not just Marlin although they certainly let a hell of a good rifle go when they stopped production on those.

Henry is another company that is dropping the ball on the 357 game. For them to not make the single shot rifles and original Henry rifle models in 357 is insanity. They would outsell any other caliber in those models.

357 is the king of pistol calibers in rifles in my opinion. They are the most sought after and for a good reason. They are the cheapest to shoot, softest shooting, and just plain cool.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    357 Magnum is a very interesting caliber in a carbine. Almost but not quite up there with 30-30 energy at close range and you get 8-10 more happy noises before you have to reload.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I inquired as to ammo.

"No sir. Nothing."

I asked why.

That's disappointing. I think RD has posted a similar experience when at the store. Private business and their rules, but as one of the largest internet firearms retailers, making a little effort helps support the second amendment.

I've made online firearm and accessory orders from them in 2017, shipped to MD, and didn't have any issues. Wonder if the online retail operation has separate management.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

41044.jpg

I think it is a good thing that DA Sr. isn't a member on here. Between the 45-70 and this thing, he and I might have issues that can only be solved with accuracy shooting at the range. :lol2:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think it is a good thing that DA Sr. isn't a member on here. Between the 45-70 and this thing, he and I might have issues that can only be solved with accuracy shooting at the range. 2:
    Enjoyed chatting with him last night. He is a smart man with some fascinating life experiences. If he ever wants to shoot 357 levers, I'd be happy to set him up.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

I inquired as to ammo.

"No sir. Nothing."

I asked why.

Funny thing is, I've bought lots of stuff from Bud's, and had it shipped to my local FFL. My local guy is very amenable to doing transfers.

I know when they were a little Gunbroker-only sort of place they never sold to MD but I figured they had gotten over it. I guess that guy didn't get the message. You can still mail order most anything and have it shipped here. They do carry ten round magazine versions of the typical auto pistols. They aren't always the cheapest, though.

I got sick of waiting for a decent lever action in .357 and got a stainless Ruger M77/357 instead. Not quite the same but not a bad choice, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom