• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    My girlfriend and I will be staying at Rocky Gap towards the end of March.We will be doing some shore fishing at the lake.I have never been there before.

Any tips on fishing there this early in the year?

Since we wont have a boat,I would think live bait might work for us.Any thoughts on this?

Would be grateful for any tips on fishing there.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It’s been a long time since I’ve fished at Rocky Gap. The far side or the Northern end of the lake will probably be better for shore fishing. No help bait wise, but good luck

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    You can rent canoes there and go out on the water. My wife and I once paddled to within 5' of a great blue heron there before it finally spooked and flew away. That was an awesome experience.

There was a big group of gang banger raccoons who messed with our camp every night. I'd go outside the tent with a flashlight and try to scare them away adn they would just stand up on there back legs, flash some gang signs with their arms, and yell at me then go back about their business of trying to open the cooler.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    They just stocked 3,350 trout on January 28th. Should be plenty of fish, plus those. For trout, I'd pick up some yellow powerbait. Pb on hook, a splitshot sinker up the line, about 2 feet above hook. It'll allow the pb to float off the bottom, and be seen. Night crawlers the same way if you inject air into them with syringe. For top water that works well is Berkeley " honey worms ". They are connected in the jar. Use two connected. Hook thru one, while one dangles. Put a tiny sinker about 1 foot above hook, and a bobber just above sinker, about 2-3 feet. It'll get ya 2-3 feet below surface. Works well!! White, red, pink and green colors seem to work great.

Bass....I'm not much help lol.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    It's DNR heaven so make sure you are both legal with trout stamps if you go. I was up there last summer and watched two boats trolling around for 30 minutes without a bite... I'd skip the poles and just walk the area. Great scenery and March should be OK.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    My GF isnt experienced enough to canoe/kayak this time of year.Thats why we will be bank fishing.No worries,we will be fishing quite a bit this year,licenses and stamps will be bought.

Quad gave some good advice. We will def try some trout fishing.

What about crappies and perch?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    As I recall where the campsites for RVs are is shallow like 2-3 feet deep for 30 yards out. Haven’t been there in a LONG time but had zero luck fishing at that spot

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    It’s been a long time since I’ve fished at Rocky Gap. The far side or the Northern end of the lake will probably be better for shore fishing. No help bait wise, but good luck

What he said. I fished there last summer and just used worms, I just caught a few Bluegill. There are some catfish in there and some small mouth bass and I am sure some trout.
    I prefer to fish Evitts Creek for trout. Not that far from Rocky Gap and they have been stocking there.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    What he said. I fished there last summer and just used worms, I just caught a few Bluegill. There are some catfish in there and some small mouth bass and I am sure some trout.
    I prefer to fish Evitts Creek for trout. Not that far from Rocky Gap and they have been stocking there.

I use to fish evitts a lot back in the late 80's early 90's. Use to be one of my top 2 streams. Then, it was between evitts and savage river for my favorite. After the floods in the 90's it changed a lot and I never cared for it much. Seems too flat now. I've caught many out of there and Jennings run over the years.

OP...perch is hit and miss in my experience. One day you'll tear them up, next day not a one. They move around a lot it seems. Shame, since they are the best tasting fish IMO.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I use to fish evitts a lot back in the late 80's early 90's. Use to be one of my top 2 streams. Then, it was between evitts and savage river for my favorite. After the floods in the 90's it changed a lot and I never cared for it much. Seems too flat now. I've caught many out of there and Jennings run over the years.

OP...perch is hit and miss in my experience. One day you'll tear them up, next day not a one. They move around a lot it seems. Shame, since they are the best tasting fish IMO.

I agree about the perch. They do taste the best. Evitts, Wills, and Jennings are my go to spots. I like them because they are convenient for me. Have done a lot of bank fishing at places like Piney Dam and Battie Mixon. I can usually always drag out some sunfish or bluegills out.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Biggest thing is to stay back from where you want to fish.. the water is clear...Also sent you a PM

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I agree about the perch. They do taste the best. Evitts, Wills, and Jennings are my go to spots. I like them because they are convenient for me. Have done a lot of bank fishing at places like Piney Dam and Battie Mixon. I can usually always drag out some sunfish or bluegills out.

I grew up in mount savage. People use to ask if I lived on Jennings run, as I was always seen there lol. It use to be better also before 96 floods. I enjoy piney for the little I get there. My dad does real well up there though. I've had some awesome perch days there for sure. I like new Germany also. Keep saying I'm goin to catch some Muskie up there, but never try. Seen some monsters pulled out by people using cut up sunfish as bait.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Don't know about fishing there, but if you have time make a trip to Dunham's Sporting Goods in LaVale.

Dunham's is hit or miss on what they have and almost everything is over priced.
    I'd suggest brushing up on your Spanish. You maybe OK in March, but as soon as the warm weather hits, Rocky Gap gets invaded by droves of Hispanics...and I'm not kidding one bit. My wife and I use to hang out at Rocky Gap when we first started dating and it was quiet, peaceful, and not crowded. Not so much anymore.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I love it there. I hate that the black jack tables have a $300 max betting limit :( Also love Puccini. Best wood fired (the only) pizza out that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom