• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    What is everyone using, and how much should i spend?

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Something 5 inches or so for hunting.

I was looking at streamlight, but could not justify spending 65 dollars on a flashlight.

On the other hand it seems like it would last a long time.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Noxx makes a good hand held if not worried about spooking game. Have red or green headlamps for to and from the stand.
    That heavily advertised Cree tactical one is pretty good for 20 bucks.
    I'm presently just using a changeable red to white headlamp from Walmart for going to and from a spot

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    Felix fx35 I believe you be st 60 probably with the light holster battery and charger 1000 lumens is very bright 5 brightens and strobe if you already have 18500 battery you might beable to get it for 30-40

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=202546

This thread led me to finding the Eadtac DX30LC2-SR
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BE7U7WS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.eagletac.com/html/dx30lc2sr/specs.html
    80$ may seem steep, but it's worth it. The main light is a friggin bright 1160 lumens with a wide spill and very intense 20,800 lux hotspot that throws 314 yards. However, the optional side flood is the part I'm loving with this light. It's got a 500 lumen side-flood that illuminates a wide area very uniformly. Because of this, you can clip it on something and use it as hands-free illumination. You can also engage the main and side beam to illuminate the ground under you and stuff in the distance. Size-wise, it's also smaller than most everything else in the class and carries extremely well. I'm liking that it has an onboard charger for the 18650, so you can plug directly in to the light to keep it topped off. The charger is good for 950mA, sooo figure on about 3 hours to completely charge a drained 3,500 mAh battery.

The controls are great for me. The rear clicky always defaults to the highest setting, so there's no mystery what you'll get like there can be with an interface with memory. If you want the lowest setting, hold the side button as you engage the rear clicky for a shortcut to low. If you press the side button, it cylces up through the 5 brightness settings. If you hold it for three seconds it switches to the side flood... then to both lights...then back to the main beam. It DOES have memory for the main/side/both selection.

It doesn't have some gigantic crenulated bezel "DNA catcher"... which I prefer. I don't get why people think having someone else's blood all over them from a superficial wound is a good thing? There's lots of better ways for pain compliance too than using a flashlight bezel. Those huge crenulated bezels usually end up jacking up the beam and/or wrecking pockets... while making a light longer than it should be.

I'd give it a look-see for a well made light with a good warranty that should treat you well.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=202546

This thread led me to finding the Eadtac DX30LC2-SR
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BE7U7WS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.eagletac.com/html/dx30lc2sr/specs.html
    80$ may seem steep, but it's worth it. The main light is a friggin bright 1160 lumens with a wide spill and very intense 20,800 lux hotspot that throws 314 yards. However, the optional side flood is the part I'm loving with this light. It's got a 500 lumen side-flood that illuminates a wide area very uniformly.

The side flood LED is awesome, doesn't really add much bulk or complexity, but is really useful, pretty much what makes this light special, and a great utility light. Still prefer a smaller EDC light, not that it's huge, but a single AA/123 size light is easier to carry with limited pocket realestate, but for the OP's task it's perfect. Used to be a "good" flashlight cost over $100, had about 50-100LM from a xenon bulb, and batteries lasted a few minutes, now they are better in most every way, and dozens of companies make them. You still do get a lot of features for a light around $100 that you don't get on cheap $20 lights, mainly included or at least compatibility with rechargeable Lithium cells, they are a game changer, quick to charge, holds the charge a long time, and really high output. Even the best LEDs are just a couple dollars now, but quality construction, good electronic controls with feature laden interfaces and the ability to deal with high current/heat set the best apart.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    For hunting a petzl or Princeton tec headlamp. PT makes a cabelas branded one that I really like. For EDC in the pocket get a preon v2. I'm tough on stuff and this has lasted the longest and is super bright on high.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I own a few different streamlights. One I use 5-6 times a day for the last three years and it hasn't quit me yet, so I would definitely recommend a streamlight.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I have a surefire for work but they are pricey. Also have a few a couple of streamlights that I have had for almost 8 years and the other almost 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I know you may not want to spend 65 for a flashlight but get what you pay for. I have yet to see someone at my agency kill a streamlight or surefire. I have maglights and others that are dead for good for many reasons. Buy once........

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    powertacusa, streamlight, and foxfury are brands I trust.

Streamlight is hit or miss for me - I love the survivor, but that's a bit of a specialty light. I also have one of the larger PolyTacs that rides in my truck RamBox and that is decent enough, nothing special, but I doubt it will let you down.

My FoxFury Commander 20 is also a specialty light and rides on my helmet. So far, so good.

PowerTac E9 is probably more in line with what you're looking for, and I'm very happy with it. 1000+ lumens, solid construction, very durable. Check out the E5.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I own a few different streamlights. One I use 5-6 times a day for the last three years and it hasn't quit me yet, so I would definitely recommend a streamlight.

I agree and will also recommend springing for something good like a Steramlight.

. I've carried a Streamlight Protac 2L (uses two CR123 batteries) for several years now and it's never let me down. It's about 4 3/4" long. Well worth the $45 or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom