• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Should Business Owners Be Held Responsible for Consequences of Their Gun-Free Zones?
    http://constitution.com/business-owners-held-responsible-consequences-gun-free-zones/
    ...The question of liability for gun-free zones has found its way to the Missouri state legislature. State Representative Mike Moon (R-157th District) has pre-filed Missouri House Bill 300 to be presented to the 2017 legislative session.

Section A, Paragraph 1 of HB300 reads:

“Section A. Chapter 571, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 571.068, to read as follows: 571.068.

1- Any business enterprise authorized to post signs on property prohibiting the possession of a concealed firearm by a person authorized to carry a concealed firearm under sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall assume absolute custodial responsibility for the safety and defense of the endorsement or permit holder while such person is on the premises of the business enterprise and on any property owned by the business enterprise that the endorsement or permit holder is required to traverse in order to travel to and from the location where the endorsement or permit holder’s firearm is stored. The provisions of this section shall not apply to private property not used for commercial purposes or to private residences of any type. For purposes of this section, ‘business enterprise’ means any business that sells or provides goods or services to the general public.”​

Maybe we should push for a law like this here... :innocent0

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That's the way it should be. If you deny me the right to defend myself on your property then you can be responsible for my safety.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It's equally important to provide immunity to the business owner for following the law.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    My answer is 'No'. The person committing the crime is responsible for the crime, not the business owner or anyone else.

We don't need more laws. I hope Trump makes good on one of his campaign speeches where he says for every new piece of legislation we should be removing two old pieces of legislation.

Let's not fall into the liberal mindset that passing laws solves problems.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "Sorry your family was slaughtered because I banned you from legally carrying the means of self-defense, but it's not my fault. Blame the guy you whose homicidal actions I prevented you from stopping."

Passing some laws may permit people to attempt to solve their own problems. Of course, eliminating some laws may have the same effect. That's part of the difference between Maryland and Free America.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    If the Supreme Court rules that police officers do not have a duty to protect someone, how can the states expect to pass laws that require that private business owners are required to protect patrons (if they prohibit firearms on their private property) and have them hold up when a case is brought to the Supreme Court?

Let the business owners put up their signs. I'd prefer it so that I know who not to do business with.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If the Supreme Court rules that police officers do not have a duty to protect someone, how can the states expect to pass laws that require that private business owners are required to protect patrons (if they prohibit firearms on their private property) and have them hold up when a case is brought to the Supreme Court?

Let the business owners put up their signs. I'd prefer it so that I know who not to do business with.

That is one of the most misunderstood rulings ever handed down from the SCOTUS.

It was all about liability of the state local and municipal Police department. NO ... One may not sue the Police because they became a victim of a crime in PUBLIC in that jurisdiction. IMHO, This based on the premise that we as citizens are responsible for our own self and the Police are not babysitting. Nor do the act as our personal bodyguards. Police are not Pre-Cogs

However, when or if a business owner bars a person from providing for their own defense on the business property... They MAY be held liable for damages in the same manner as they are currently held liable for not providing proper fire exits and protection to their patrons.

The business bears certain legal risks. Fire and robbery are known hazards and the business should either provide or allow the patron to provide for the proper defense agains these known hazards.

Barring a ruling to the contrary from the SCOTUS... Take down the anti 2A signs or accept the risk your business creates opportunities for.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I wonder if the concept of "special relationship" can be applied here.

Here's a link to a brief discussion of the concept:
    https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=38303

A paragraph from that link:
    The federal civil rights statute that allows for civil liability against state and local government agents is located at Title 42, section 1983 of the United States Code. This law holds that such individuals can be found civilly liable for damages if they violate a person’s constitutional rights under the color of law. Such actions may arise when an officer conducts an illegal search or seizure or makes an unlawful arrest. Therefore, if an individual who had a special relationship with the state was injured as a result of having his or her due process rights violated, this can form the basis of a civil lawsuit.

If a governmental agency permits a business open to the public to deny said public the right to defend itself, would this be an infringement of a civil right? It would seem to be arguable.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I wonder if the concept of "special relationship" can be applied here.

Here's a link to a brief discussion of the concept:
    https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=38303

A paragraph from that link:

If a governmental agency permits a business open to the public to deny said public the right to defend itself, would this be an infringement of a civil right? It would seem to be arguable.

Nope. The agency is the one acting under color of state law and it is merely "permitting" the private actor to do something. The deprivation of life is by the private owner who is banning carrying and the private owner is not acting under color of state law.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It's not necessary in MD. If a business posts a no guns sign, it doesn't legally create a gun free zone. You also have a choice to take your business elsewhere.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It's not necessary in MD. If a business posts a no guns sign, it doesn't legally create a gun free zone. You also have a choice to take your business elsewhere.

I'd like to hear from one of our resident Counselors' opinion as this is a civil matter, not criminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom