• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    me seems to think "they" keep saying there are closer to 30,000 gun related deaths per year. it's "their" numbers, "they" keep reporting, over and over again.

Earlier today I was reading some "fact checks" on the last debate.

All the liberal MSM sources were throwing poo at Trump about his abortion comments. Their argument was that late-term abortions were "so rare" or "like a unicorn, they don't exist" that his statement was false.

They said there's approximately 12,000 such abortions a year in the USA.

Guess how many gun deaths there are a year? 8,000 to 12,000, but that's an "EPIDEMIC!"

So....is 12K a year "rare" or "epidemic"

Make up your minds!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    me seems to think "they" keep saying there are closer to 30,000 gun related deaths per year. it's "their" numbers, "they" keep reporting, over and over again.

They always include suicides to bulk up the numbers. Even though there are plenty of countries with few guns and higher suicide rates, and countries who had guns and got rid of them while the suicide rate remained constant.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I combed through the numbers a couple of years ago. In the same time Australia's numbers for gun related homicides decreased, the US numbers decreased by almost the same proportion. And this at a time when private firearms ownership in the US increased.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I'm guessing that the stateside drop in gun-related homicides during that time period was a result of the community policing, which included "stop-ask-frisk." Of course, that effective policy is under attack and we're seeing homicides and other crime rates slowly creeping up again.

Anyway, no need to disarm law-abiding citizens. Just present criminals from doing their thing. I know, I know, that makes just too much sense.

Mr H

Banana'd
    So, while admitting removing guns from society under penalty with compensation has been an abject failure, they now wish to remove guns from society without penalty and no compensation??!

Makes sense to me... In the Merry Old Land of Oz...

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'm curious to know what happened at AUS gun ranges (or even to recreational shooting altogether)? Do people still go shoot? What would happen here? We have many people on this forum that obsessively worry about the MSP measuring their barrels profiles at gun ranges or asking for original tax stamps or pre-10/2013 receipts for certain firearms. I can only assume that "noncompliers" are afraid to go shoot for fear of exposing themselves?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

Yes, the numbers they report are all gun deaths combined including:
    Suicide, which is over 60% of all gun deaths
    Accidents
    Justified self defense
    Justified shootings by cops
    And gun homicide, which was closer to 8k in either 2014 or 2015.

I always round it to 12K when I'm trying to make a point, because the stats are still so crazy low when you consider how many gun owners there are.

100 million (estimates go as high as 150 million) legal gun owners
    12k murders a year

0.00012% and that's making the incorrect assumption that ALL murders each year are by (previously) legal gun owners.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, the numbers they report are all gun deaths combined including:
    Suicide, which is over 60% of all gun deaths
    Accidents
    Justified self defense
    Justified shootings by cops
    And gun homicide, which was closer to 8k in either 2014 or 2015.

I always round it to 12K when I'm trying to make a point, because the stats are still so crazy low when you consider how many gun owners there are.

100 million (estimates go as high as 150 million) legal gun owners
    12k murders a year

0.00012% and that's making the incorrect assumption that ALL murders each year are by (previously) legal gun owners.

And those 8k (or 12k) should be further categorized by cause or motive, like the others. Dollars to doughnuts that the vast majority of them are drug-related, and/or gang-related, or both. So, if we get rid of the drug and gang violence, the number gets chopped by over one-third.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    if we get rid of the drug and gang violence, the number gets chopped by over one-third.

^^^^^^^This.

It always bother me that people want to pass laws against the 99.9990% of guns that don't harm anyone.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I remember reading years ago about the gun buyback program effectively shutting down the new housing industry. apparently when the buy back was happening and the lead up to the buy back it was almost impossible to find pvc pipe, cleaner, and adhesive. The suppliers could not keep up and it was sold out as soon as it hit the shelves. The article said it also shut down a lot of business that could not have repairs made to their pluming. The article did not come flat out and say it but, the implication was that there were a whole lot of guns and ammo buried in Australia leading up to the buy back.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    And those 8k (or 12k) should be further categorized by cause or motive, like the others. Dollars to doughnuts that the vast majority of them are drug-related, and/or gang-related, or both. So, if we get rid of the drug and gang violence, the number gets chopped by over one-third.
    Exactly.

I would like to see those 8 to 12k broken down by cause and motive as well as region.

Odds are well over half are gang related or previous felons living in areas that already have strict gun laws.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I remember reading years ago about the gun buyback program effectively shutting down the new housing industry. apparently when the buy back was happening and the lead up to the buy back it was almost impossible to find pvc pipe, cleaner, and adhesive. The suppliers could not keep up and it was sold out as soon as it hit the shelves. The article said it also shut down a lot of business that could not have repairs made to their pluming. The article did not come flat out and say it but, the implication was that there were a whole lot of guns and ammo buried in Australia leading up to the buy back.
    That's funny

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Relax, we've already stuffed the prisons to the bursting point with illegal aliens. Creating several million new felons by Executive fiat would merely result in the sudden diminishing of tax revenues while draining the Treasury to pay for their upkeep in prisons that we haven't the money to build.

Then they will probably look at the ultimate solution for us nasty gun owners.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Is there a breakdown of the 8k or 12k number by legal guns vs illegal guns?

Edit : illegally possessed is probably a better term.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    They can't afford to rid the nation of the bulk of its taxpayers.

Yes they can. What they can't risk is making them desperate. When you have nothing to lose...you tend to behave irrationally..

You will see a lot " one last chance" more than a few examples made and in the end they will hope to keep the psychopaths under control... But just like BLM...rage will out..

The most dangerous folks will already be down on thier luck... outcasts.. looking for a Nobel cause... They do scare me..

I wonder how bad it will get..

In any case it will be to late by then.. we will be spectators..

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Thread revival ...

Topic Change:
    Australia Admits Gun Buyback Failure, Plans to double-down on Gun Control

Margaret River 'mass-murder suicide' Australia's worst multiple shooting since 35 were gunned down in Port Arthur in 1996 - sparking gun crackdown

Scant details on the actual shootings except that it was a murder-suicide of four children and three adults outside of Perth. However, the DailyMail goes into multiple pages of gory detail regurgitating EVERY mass murder in Australia since the 1980's ... with pictures.

Before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 13 mass shootings in Australia.

Can you say agenda ?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Topic Change:
    Australia Admits Gun Buyback Failure, Plans to double-down on Gun Control

Margaret River 'mass-murder suicide' Australia's worst multiple shooting since 35 were gunned down in Port Arthur in 1996 - sparking gun crackdown

Scant details on the actual shootings except that it was a murder-suicide of four children and three adults outside of Perth. However, the DailyMail goes into multiple pages of gory detail regurgitating EVERY mass murder in Australia since the 1980's ... with pictures.

Can you say agenda ?

They definitely have an agenda. Too bad they didn't cover mass murders before the 1980s. If they had it would have blown their agenda out of the water because almost all of them were government sanctioned attempts to exterminate aborigines who had no firearms to protect themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom