• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Explain the “aging” process please.

This year I'm going to try to hang the deer in my garage for 3 days to age the meat. I doubt if I can do it if I get one of the huge bucks that are around here. I barely got the small doe up off the floor. If you age the meat before cutting it up into steaks or burger meat it's supposed to be more tender.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I'll hang in the garage if the highs don't get above 35. Really need to get one of those portable deer coolers or build one w a coolbot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Headed to Patuxent for 1-3 days of hunting. I see rains in the forecast for Friday. But Saturday is going to be busier. So I dunno. I might hunt there Thursday and Friday and if I strike out hunt my woods Saturday with a bow. Or maybe Thursday and Saturday in the park, Friday in the woods (so I can hunt morning and evening and take a lunch nap inside). I plan to pull my game camera pictures Thursday evening. That’ll probably help determine what I do. I’ve only had the one camera in the woods near the creek at a major confluence of deer trails for 3 days now. Was really late in getting it up.

Checked zero on my ML about 2 weeks ago. Two tubes of BH209 I measured out last season followed by a “fresh” load of BH209 from the bottle using my powder measure. All 3 holes overlapping at 50yds with the 2nd shot dead center of the bullseye...

Good enough. My Wolf really likes 300gr .430 XTP with 105gr by volume of BH209. My shoulder not as much.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Tried out a new spot where I had seen large deer walking across a cornfield in years past. The wind was coming out the SE and it had snowed this morning but it melted away by noon. The spot was near a vacant house with a cluster of trees. I sat on the south side near the trees to provide cover against my outline. A larger patch of woods was about 200 yards on the other side of the freshly plowed cornfield. I ranged the tree line from my spot to all areas I could safely shoot. It was around 4:30 PM and it was cloudy when I noticed a doe come out of the wood line. I wanted to get a meat doe under my belt because last year I was consumed with chasing big bucks and only got one small doe.
    I didn't waste time and got the doe in my scope. I was using my Savage Axis in 270 Win. with a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff scope. The ammo was my reloads with 130 gr. SST bullets. I was zeroed at 2 inches above the bullseye at 100 yards so I was sure I would be right on at around 200 yards which is where the doe was standing. She gave me a perfect broadside shot as she browsed on the plowed cornfield. I wasn't sure if I had hit her as she ran and dodged into the woods. As fast as she went in I thought I might have a long period of tracking ahead of me. The brush was still kinda heavy as it had just now gotten cold lately. I walked and put my gear down and started into the woods. The doe was laying and 5 yards into the wood line. I thought at first that it might've been a deer someone had previously shot and never found but the carcass was still warm.
    A perfect shot! Right behind the front leg and into both lungs. The bullet had gone clear through her and left a pretty big exit wound. It was no wonder that she hadn't made it very far. I field dressed her and put her in the bed of my truck and headed home.

Great story. Congrats on the harvest.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Thanks, I can't believe the damage that 270 round did at 200 yards to that deer. Decimated is probably that apt word to describe what it did to the deer's lungs. They were really shredded. It went clear through the deer and left a huge exit hole.

Tonight I sat at the same spot to see if a big buck would come out at dusk. The wind was out of the south and my legs got cold. From now on I'm bringing my cold weather pants. I might use my portable ground blind to block the wind too. Nothing came out of the woods but something was walking behind me as I could hear it walking on the leaves. I thought it might be someone being nosy so I waited for them to get close. After the noise stopped I looked around and there was noone there. I think a deer was walking behind me. LOL!

There were a couple of shots from the fields on the other side of the road behind me so the deer were around but not where I was at.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I shot a box of SST is 30.06 and went back to Core-Lokt as the ballistic tiped bullets were ruining meat if they got into one of the shoulders.

They shoot good, flatter and kill better, but I can't justify the meat loss I had self butchering when I saw it.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I shot a box of SST is 30.06 and went back to Core-Lokt as the ballistic tiped bullets were ruining meat if they got into one of the shoulders.

They shoot good, flatter and kill better, but I can't justify the meat loss I had self butchering when I saw it.

This is the reason I switched to mono's.Cutting out all the bloodshot is really tedious work.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

Every rifle deer I've ever killed has been with Core-Lokt. They may be old tech but they kill deer just fine.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Every rifle deer I've ever killed has been with Core-Lokt. They may be old tech but they kill deer just fine.

I'd bet there have been more deer killed by Core-Lokt than most other bullets over the years. They fly like crap, but open very well. Most people don't shoot a deer past 120 yards around this area at least.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'd bet there have been more deer killed by Core-Lokt than most other bullets over the years. They fly like crap, but open very well. Most people don't shoot a deer past 120 yards around this area at least.

I get 1-1.5 MOA out of em so yeah in no way are they tack drivers but plenty for my shots.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar

Core Lockt is all I've ever used since 1998. They shoot well out of my 30-30 when I first started hunting and later upgraded to a .270. I've shot deer from 25 yds to 212 yds.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

As far as I could tell there was no real meat loss on my shot. I hit the deer perfectly. I even got the heart out and could've taken the liver but forgot to cut it out. The lungs were in tatters.

I'll keep using the SSTs.

I sit on a small portable stool and use a bipod shooting stick. I zero the rifle the same way as I hunt. I won't take an "iffy" shot and try to only shoot a broadside shot. No quartering shots for me. I might post a pic of the deer tomorrow cause I'm probably going to butcher it.

I may hold out for a bigger doe for meat. The are some monster does around here. I've seen some that are almost as big as my Ford Ranger. They're as hard to get as the monster bucks though.

Tonight there were four does running across a field about 400 yards to my left. They were headed to the plowed cornfields across the road behind where I've been sitting. I walked over there just as the light was fading and spooked them. I could've shot the biggest doe but passed. I'd rather get her with light left and will sit in the other patch of woods next time.

Next week I'm gonna hunt the timber and do a lot of rattling for the pre-rut.

Last edited:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    As far as I could tell there was no real meat loss on my shot. I hit the deer perfectly. I even got the heart out and could've taken the liver but forgot to cut it out. The lungs were in tatters.

I'll keep using the SSTs.

I sit on a small portable chair and use a bipod shooting stick. I zero the rifle the same way as I hunt. I won't take an "iffy" shot and try to only shoot a broadside shot. No quartering shots for me. I might post a pic of the deer tomorrow cause I'm probably going to butcher it.

I may hold out for a bigger doe for meat. The are some monster does around here. I've seen some that are almost as big as my Ford Ranger. They're as hard to get as the monster bucks though.

Tonight there were four does running across a field about 400 yards to my left. They were headed to the plowed cornfields across the road behind where I've been sitting. I walked over there just as the light was fading and spooked them. I could've shot the biggest doe but passed. I'd rather get her with light left and will sit in the other patch of woods next time.

Next week I'm gonna hunt the timber and do a lot of rattling for the pre-rut.

Let us know how the rattling goes. I've never tried it in MD.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm switching to SSTs, only because hornady loads these hot in their super performance line, and I'll take the extra 250fps over core lokt. Will report back if I have a successful rifle season. It's mainly in WVa, where I do have the opportunity at very long shots if I choose to take them.

I had a first last week. I was set up sitting in front of a tree, on a corner of a field where deer typically walk across, crossbow hunting. Three deer walked by, 10 yards behind me, and headed on the road to the farm house. I waited til they were barely out of sight, turned around and used my grunt call. All three deer raced back in to check out the noise, and I shot the biggest doe.

That was cool. My first time successfully calling deer.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm switching to SSTs, only because hornady loads these hot in their super performance line, and I'll take the extra 250fps over core lokt. Will report back if I have a successful rifle season. It's mainly in WVa, where I do have the opportunity at very long shots if I choose to take them.

I had a first last week. I was set up sitting in front of a tree, on a corner of a field where deer typically walk across, crossbow hunting. Three deer walked by, 10 yards behind me, and headed on the road to the farm house. I waited til they were barely out of sight, turned around and used my grunt call. All three deer raced back in to check out the noise, and I shot the biggest doe.

That was cool. My first time successfully calling deer.

I'll post the load I'm using with the 270.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have one deer the SST hit the front leg exiting and WOW it wasted some meat. Drop your deer at the processor and you'll know why you're a few pound short. I'll agree is superb in ballistics but I want to eat what i am shooting and want a round that kills without excess damage.

Here is one that hit the heart on a doe, in and out pics.

Attachments

• Heart in.jpg
      Heart in.jpg
      125.4 KB · Views: 219
    • Heart out.jpg
      Heart out.jpg
      139.5 KB · Views: 228

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have one deer the SST hit the front leg exiting and WOW it wasted some meat. Drop your deer at the processor and you'll know why you're a few pound short. I'll agree is superb in ballistics but I want to eat what i am shooting and want a round that kills without excess damage.

Here is one that hit the heart on a doe, in and out pics.
    You ruined breakfast! :lol2:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Maybe I can use core lokt in the woods and save the SST for hunting the big fields...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Man I think maybe someone is target shooting a muzzleloader by/in Patuxent. I heard three shots a minute apart behind me (deer I think I pushed through some thick stuff towards a guy in a stand about 200yds away I could barely see).

5 minutes later as I got back to my car (where I was headed) and filled up my canteens a shot real close. Like maybe 100yds away in the woods or on the first property/house next to the parking area (Brown’s Church). Started heading back in to the woods in that general direction. Three more shots about 2 minutes apart. Saw a hunter sitting just inside the woods off a trail. Not him he says and he hasn’t seen anything come running by. Since then (20 minutes ago) I’ve heard probably 20 shots, a bit more than half from the same general direction, though I am about half a mile away now.

Does not sound like a center fire. Last I checked target shooting even on private property in this part of MoCo was a no-no. Am I mistaken in that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom